IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been in a situation before where I was just sitting in my driveway in broad daylight with one of my friends as we waited for another friend to arrive.
A creepy green van kept passing us - each time coming from a different direction but i was aware of my surroundings to know something wasn’t right and this was bizarre.
The van passed several times before showing making a stop right in front of my house and quickly they opened the sliding door in the mini van where I could see 2 men in the back and 2 In the drivers and passengers. My friend and I ran so fast into my house and my parents were luckily home at the time.

As the car noticed we ran inside it quickly sped away. We were screaming for my father that some creepy mini van was scoping us out and even opened their doors in an attempt to (maybe try and abduct us? I’m assuming since it was a car full of older men.)

My dad, quickly got into his car and tried to find the van that was stalking us outside but he couldn’t find it because they had a head start to get away. It always stuck with me because of how scary it was and how this does happen in broad daylight a lot of times. Not just at night. My neighborhood is always very very safe so it was definitely odd but scary nonetheless.
Few years ago our then 15 year old daughter was alone in our backyard which is on a secluded street and a car passed very slowly by several times one afternoon. She ran into the house and told us we called police who arrived in 2 minutes (small town). Turns out car was a young couple from another town near ours looking for their lost dog so driving around looking in yards. Best part, daughter recognized stranger danger and we called police instead of trying to "catch the person." Police said they ALWAYS respond immediately to those calls and they did...I think this guy grabbed MT's phone as she tried to do just that...breaks my heart. kids should trust no one these days unfortunately.

How are the Feds involved - what grounds do they have for this case? Serious question. I hadn't known that was an option in this case to make it federal.

jmo
I don't think it's kidnapping because they did not cross state lines. I am thinking maybe the case could go Federal because of CR's immigration status. Does anyone know the law on this?

Although it may be true, we really have no way of knowing. Many people will crave attention, and unfortunately there is nothing to substantiate their stories. I've never even heard of Crime on line, but they site Radar, which is unreliable. I'm new to the internet but maybe I'm sure someone else can confirm the validity of the source. Until then I wouldn't put that much consideration into it. But if there is such a pattern, it would surely help in building a case.

But I'm not buying something: He says he abducted her on 385th Ave. Mollie is a smart woman. By now he's been circling and following her for a while. She would have ran back towards town, not away from it.

Maybe I missed you all talking about this.
Tried to reply to this and page reloaded and my post is in cyber space. Again: What I said was i agree with you. I mentioned that earlier as I thought the same thing. One response I got was possibly she was abducted in residential area and assaulted on 385th Ave. Otherwise yes, why would she turn down a more deserted road if she saw him checking her out.

Last edited:
No, it says they're looking "more deeply into his background", not "into his deep background". They're just trying to figure out if this crime was premeditated. I don't believe that they'd have any reason to investigate his childhood in Mexico.

The way I read it is - they are looking heavily into his past.​

Runners nationwide hit pavement in memory of Mollie Tibbetts

DES MOINES, Iowa (KCCI) —

People are running and sharing their journeys.

"Any time you can take a positive message and overrun the trolls out there who have something negative to say, that's a good thing," Des Moines police Sgt. Paul Parizek said.

Runners are using the hashtag #MilesForMollie across social media, dedicating each mile they run to Mollie Tibbetts and others lost.

#milesformollie hashtag on Twitter

Ah! I'm adding that to the list of lessons from this case.

Anything to defeat trolls is a good thing.

(OT: I grew up with a grandmother who told scary stories about trolls. One storyline is that trolls grab you and turn you into a troll if you're not careful. That totally fits with online trolls. It's easy for regular people who consider themselves nice people to turn into trolls online. Fight it!! My grandma's stories were true all along.)

jmo

17473599_G.jpg

IOWA CITY (KWWL) -

Mollie Tibbetts brother gave an emotional speech in front of hundreds of University of Iowa students during a vigil.

On Wednesday night, UI's Dance Marathon and student government organized a candlelit vigil to honor and remember Tibbetts. The vigil came one day after authorities announced that she had been abducted and murdered during a jog.

It was an emotional day as Tibbetts friends and her brother, Jake Tibbetts, came and spoke to the crowd.
"We're going to miss her dearly": Mollie Tibbetts brother speaks at UI vigil

I’ve also been followed through a parking lot in broad daylight AT MY JOB which is at a hospital but so many cars, people walking in and out. Etc.

I was on my lunch break and this man was standing near the doors and spotted me - I didn’t pay him any mind at the time until I felt someone was behind me and catching up with my pace. I felt someone near me so I quickly looked behind my shoulder only to see this man looking right at me and walking behind me and fast.

I tried not to panic but I couldn’t help it. I quickly switched paths and started to go a different direction to make sure he was in fact following me. Which he was. Every turn I made he made the exact same turns as well. At this point I knew he wanted something. Me.

I refused to go to my car because I knew that in itself wouldn’t go over well. So I decided to run up to a group of people getting out of their car and start pretending I knew them while dialing on my phone ( to my dad that works security in the same hospital) as he saw me do this he quickly ran off and I didn’t see him again luckily. I was crying it was so scary. I legitimately thought I was going to be abducted that day.

Kidnapping.

If I am incorrect with this assumption, please let me know.

Not completely positive but I think it's only federal in this kind of thing if they cross state lines. Many, many years ago my uncle was arrested with Chuck Berry. They'd met some girls at a bar in Texas and decided to go to Arkansas with them. They didn't know the girls were 15. Because they'd crossed the lines with them, it was a big federal mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase