FL - Multiple Fatalities at Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament, Jacksonville, 26 Aug 2018

I'm still working on how exactly this sort of thing benefits society as a whole.

But here are two interesting article at MLO that I recommend everyone read:

‘Gaming Disorder’ recognized as worldwide mental health condition - MLO

WHO releases new International Classification of Diseases (ICD 11) - MLO

This is a pretty gross generalization. I hope you misworded it and aren’t implying that just because you PERSONALLY do not like gaming and or gamers that the whole sect is mentally ill. That’s absurd. It’s like saying bc I enjoy a Russian River Valley Cabernet on the regular that I’m an alcoholic.. all professional gamers are not unfit. They make LOADS of money. Loads, millions and he was successful and has won a lot of money. It’s not a bunch of fat kids in a basement smoking pot, this is a real career.

Watch David Katz a.k.a. Bread Play Madden in 2017 | Heavy.com
Last year, Katz played under the name “Bread.” In the video below, you can see Katz’s performance in the tournament. After winning, he gave an interview, which begins at the 36:36 mark.
One month later, Katz, who was playing for the Buffalo Bills, was back in the hot seat, this time taking on his opponent, Misery, who was playing for the Pittsburg Steelers. You can watch that match below.

This is a pretty gross generalization. I hope you misworded it and aren’t implying that just because you PERSONALLY do not like gaming and or gamers that the whole sect is mentally ill. That’s absurd. It’s like saying bc I enjoy a Russian River Valley Cabernet on the regular that I’m an alcoholic.. all professional gamers are not unfit. They make LOADS of money. Loads, millions and he was successful and has won a lot of money. It’s not a bunch of fat kids in a basement smoking pot, this is a real career.

I did not write the articles. But I did mention the links to generate thought on gaming as a career and is it really ideal for that many teens and twenty-somethings to aim for.

I will also say that most professional gamers are a very tight knit community who travel all over for big money tournaments. Some are young and some have families and use it as an extra way to make money outside of their daily jobs. Some simply use it as a vacation and if they win some money its a bonus. Top 20 or so ranked opponents all know each other very well and are like brothers. I don't believe based on what i have seen on SM that DK was very social with those he competed against....MOO

OK I just learned something new - there is a Major League Eating, they do the hot dog, pizza, etc competitive eating.

Major League Eating & International Federation of Competitive Eating

It makes some sense that almost anything humans do can be made into a competition. Especially things as popular as gaming and ... eating. ;)

OT, but does anyone else here remember the pie-eating contest scene from Stand By Me? I only posted the link and didn’t embed the video because ... well the kid takes revenge on the other contestants. It’s really pukey.

heck i'm 37 and haven't picked up a game controller in probably 15 yrs (darn wife and kids lol). But I'm not going to sit here and cast shame on the gaming community that is hurting deeply bc of the actions of one sick individual that couldn't cope with losing a game and life in general. prayers for all the innocent victims!

I did not write the articles. But I did mention the links to generate thought on gaming as a career and is it really ideal for that many teens and twenty-somethings to aim for.

For better or for worse, parents are encouraging it: Parents Paying ‘Fortnite’ Tutors $20 an Hour to Help Their Children

I myself was shocked to see that headline, but my boyfriend says this type of stuff has already been happening for over 10 years with other types of games.

I guess it's good if you want to become a surgeon - or even maybe anything involving robotics or such. Otherwise, I guess just another extra-curricular? I don't even know.

I will say, since people are giving their opinions on what David Katz looks like in those videos - I see someone who looks like they are completely un-confident, who appears to take every small action personally. He looks very sad. Maybe that sadness turned to anger.

heck i'm 37 and haven't picked up a game controller in probably 15 yrs (darn wife and kids lol). But I'm not going to sit here and cast shame on the gaming community that is hurting deeply bc of the actions of one sick individual that couldn't cope with losing a game and life in general. prayers for all the innocent victims!

bbm

Thank you, @ab01. A dozen people were shot or killed today.

do the controllers for this game resemble the games a lot of folks play where they run all over shooting machine guns, throwing hand grenades, and stabbing other humans death = for an afternoon of some fun relaxation either before or after hitting the shooting range or ,murdering an innocent animal ??

do the controllers for this game resemble the games a lot of folks play where they run all over shooting machine guns, throwing hand grenades, and stabbing other humans death = for an afternoon of some fun relaxation either before or after hitting the shooting range or ,murdering an innocent animal ??
Madden is a football game, not a shooting or war game.

I think this tournament is not much money compared to others.

For example, the Dota2 championships that just happened the other day....the winning team won over $11 million (but this includes everyone like coaches, etc).

not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back in 30 - going to pick up the game!!

What I would like to know is, if Katz did not make it as a professional career sports gamer, what did he have to fall back on?

Here is an interesting factoid:

NFL Player Fact vs. Fiction | NFL Football Operations

The overall college graduation rate of about 80 percent among retired NFL players is much higher than the general population rate of 30 percent.

Also of interest:

Average age in esports vs. major sports

What happens when the sports gamer reaches retirement age?

For better or for worse, parents are encouraging it: Parents Paying ‘Fortnite’ Tutors $20 an Hour to Help Their Children

I myself was shocked to see that headline, but my boyfriend says this type of stuff has already been happening for over 10 years with other types of games.

I guess it's good if you want to become a surgeon - or even maybe anything involving robotics or such. Otherwise, I guess just another extra-curricular? I don't even know.

I'd be curious to know what these parents have in the way of a gaming background, for example, did they play a lot of video games as kids? Did they wish they had video games as kids? That sort of thing.

I will say, since people are giving their opinions on what David Katz looks like in those videos - I see someone who looks like they are completely un-confident, who appears to take every small action personally. He looks very sad. Maybe that sadness turned to anger.

Or that he had nothing else to look forward to in life.

At this point I think it is important if we knew what sort of college education he had, any jobs he held, any other interests besides sports gaming.

But if all he majored in college was sports gaming, well....

from link

david-katz.jpg

he actually has an Aspergers like gaze - not diagnosing -but the more we go that would kinda fit

repetitive stuff (playing) isolative practice speaking a lot not needed just babbling same clothes ( like a lot of the same things over and over food ,clothes way shoes are arranged etc)

did he come from a cold climate??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back