IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone with more law experience can clarify this but how are you innocent until proven guilty when you’ve confessed to a crime? He confessed to killing her, that makes him a killer.
But he never confessed to killing her! Yes, he led LE to her body but he never said I took out this blade and repeatedly stabbed her, pummeled her head (as for example only) and as a result of my actions, I saw her take her her last breath... If not for CR leading LE to her body, I wouldn't be so convinced they had the right man. CR placed himself at the scene but LE cannot even prove CR was driving the car at this time since driver is not visible in video. If you know otherwise, please provide the link. MOO

Last edited:
In rural Iowa, I was surprised someone would have cctv at their residence.
I'm not certain that the cctv necessarily came from a "private residence" that we think of. There is resident and landowner on 385th with a large industrial shop and yard adjacent to his private home. As far as I know, LE has not identified the Owner of the footage. MOO

I'm not certain that the cctv necessarily came from a "private residence" that we think of. There is resident and landowner on 385th with a large industrial shop and yard adjacent to his private home. As far as I know, LE has not identified the Owner of the footage. MOO

What has widely been quoted is 'Neighbour's security camera', could mean residential / commercial. I'm sure the source will be known soon enough.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how ludicrous of a theory the defense paints. There is always a gray area, but I would be willing to bet that many murder trials involve the defense introducing an alternate theory in order to place reasonable doubt in a juror’s mind. I was a juror on a murder 1 trial and I specifically remember the defense presenting such theory. I don’t remember the defense’s alternate theory to be necessarily ludicrous, just highly implausible. However, it just takes 1 juror to convince.....

What ever the defense puts forward will be countered with expert witnesses for the prosecution. If CR has visited doctors in the US with his anger issues then they will be documented. If CR relies on family and friend to say that he has anger issues; that will carry less weight. There will also be various reports produced by by all sorts of 'ologists' those reports will be countered by the prosecution.

It’s unfortunate because that type of thing would be so easy to hide on a farm. A lot of farm workers wear long shirts and pants, hats, boots etc. And you don’t necessarily work close to anyone, close enough for someone to notice anyway.

There would definitely be defense wounds; but 5 weeks is enough time to heal; wounds heal faster in younger people. I remember when I was 12; I could have a deep cut; within 48 hours it had gone.
The same deep cut these days would take 2 weeks and require medical intervention!! lol

Yikes!!! ( part about sitting on her) etc, etc. .. Good points. No telling what this creep did. The cell phone thing is really incredible to me. Can't imagine why in the world he wouldn't immediately turn it off or destroy , disable it, or whatever. How could he NOT know it would leave a trail? The whole thing( according to him) started with her the threats to call police. Getting rid of the evidence right away would be the most logical thing to do.I don't get it. Edited because I made so many mistakes. ( I always see other people explaining the reason for editing but this is the first time I have done it. If I did it every time it would be longer than the post.)

You could argue that it back's up his claim that he can't remember what happened. He wasn't thinking rationally. I don't necessarily agree that is the case; but the defense may put that forward to the jury.

Right, but while committing murder "willfully, deliberately, and with premeditation" is ONE of the circumstances that can allow for a charge of Murder One, there are other "gateways" to the same charge, as when the victim dies because of your actions while you are committing a forceable felony. The example being that of a perp who impulsively rapes a middle aged woman who dies of a heart attack as a result. No premeditation on the perp's part, but still Murder One. This is under Iowa code 707.2.

So, I was just opining what other predicate felonies reach the bar to make a murder a Murder One charge. This if it becomes impossible to forensically prove rape with MT. Surely kidnapping and/or felony assault and battery would validate the Murder One charge. Maybe in this case armed robbery if CR had a knife in play when he took the cell phone.

It's been quoted that the autopsy results could take 4-6 weeks then would need to be reviewed by various experts - possibly in consideration of further charges against CR.

But he never confessed to killing her! Yes, he led LE to her body but he never said I took out this blade and repeatedly stabbed her, pummeled her head (as for example only) and as a result of my actions, I saw her take her her last breath... If not for CR leading LE to her body, I wouldn't be so convinced they had the right man. CR placed himself at the scene but LE cannot even prove CR was driving the car at this time since driver is not visible in video. If you know otherwise, please provide the link. MOO

This article states Rivera was driving the car if I’m understanding it correctly.

>>snip

“We were able to, first of all, see what we believed to have been Mollie running on one of the streets," Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation special agent Rick Rahn told Fox News. "From that, we started to look into all the vehicles that were also captured on video and eventually identified the vehicle that was driven by Mr. Rivera.”

>>snip

The special agent said there were "some distinct features to the vehicle that allowed us to basically search the area for it and just happened that we were able to locate the vehicle, and subsequently identify Mr. Rivera driving the vehicle."

Mollie Tibbetts investigation: Chevy Malibu seen in surveillance video not registered to suspect Rivera, source says

This article states Rivera was driving the car if I’m understanding it correctly.

>>snip

“We were able to, first of all, see what we believed to have been Mollie running on one of the streets," Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation special agent Rick Rahn told Fox News. "From that, we started to look into all the vehicles that were also captured on video and eventually identified the vehicle that was driven by Mr. Rivera.”

>>snip

The special agent said there were "some distinct features to the vehicle that allowed us to basically search the area for it and just happened that we were able to locate the vehicle, and subsequently identify Mr. Rivera driving the vehicle."

Mollie Tibbetts investigation: Chevy Malibu seen in surveillance video not registered to suspect Rivera, source says

I think LE is saying that eventually they identified who the car was being driven by; but it was unclear when viewing the CCTV who the driver was.

Last edited:
Who is complaining? Nobody is complaining. Please don't turn this into a political discussion.

You are the one who brought it up. I was just pointing out that it is nothing different then what any other country does, including the US.

I haven't had a chance to read the last two pages of this thread. However, some phones you can't figure out HOW to turn them off. Also like mine you have to have my pin to even get in it.

This is so true and also what I was thinking as to why the phone was not turned off. When I first got my new phone after finally graduating from a flip phone a few years ago which I had for years my daughter had to show me how to turn it off!!!
He very well could have crushed it and buried it, don't forget he had 5 weeks to play around.

Wow, trying to imagine that scenario. Would end up arguing throughout the whole thing! But seriously, others have thought this possible too. After all, they could not see who was in the car. But, I would imagine IF there were two, that Rivera would be trying to pin it on " the other guy."
Possibly not if it was a dominant male to him. Maybe CR was being groomed. I know it is unlikely but it happens.

He confessed to being complicit at a minimum. That can hold a murder charge and makes him a killer IMHOO

MOO - Could the other earbud (not the one on his lap) have been found by LE at the initial confrontation site of 385th? When LE presented this to CR during his interview and told him that they knew he was connected to MT’s disappearance due to his car on video did he panic and concoct the earbud on lap story after they asked him where the other one was?

I just can’t really think of another reason he included the earbud on lap story that awoke him from his block out.

He used the earbud story as he had to hide/remove the body, which was in the boot.
Without the earbud, (as he doesn't 'remember' placing Mollie in boot of this car), he wouldn't be checking the boot.o_Oo_Oo_O

I haven't had a chance to read the last two pages of this thread. However, some phones you can't figure out HOW to turn them off. Also like mine you have to have my pin to even get in it.

We know about pings because we are interested in crime. I bet many people have no idea about phone pinging nor care about it.

I doubt if phone pinging was a topic of discussion with him among his friends.

I was shocked to hear a residence in a small town in Iowa would have that security feature, but that makes sense.

I’m sure when that home owner(s) purchased their camera, never in their wildest dreams would they imagine that it could one day catch a murderer and solve a missing person’s case. Best purchase they ever made.

Just asking that people wait until it is decided in court. Similar things were said about WC and, as far as we know, he has no involvement in this.

I've kind of realized that the WS community is good at the finding out what happened part, and not so good at the fairness to the alleged perpetrator part. Which is common, but I'm not a fan of declaring someone guilty before they have gone through the process.

I’d like to think that you were in this thread to discuss the case and not tell people how to feel or what to say. However, the last dozen threads I’ve read that you’ve posted make no valid points. It’s like your clearly just trying to argue with folks and that’s not cool man. You have your opinion and everyone else has theres. I’d certainly try and respect how everyone was feeling even if I didn’t necessarily feel the same way.

Have you even read about this case? Innocent until proven guilty is really hard to prove once you’ve lead police to a body, a body that was searched for for around 5 weeks. The exact location, how she was positioned on the ground and what was laying on top of her.

But hey, if I go off and block out that I murdered someone and only remember where I desposed of there body, I’d sure like you in my jury to acquit me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjflow