TX TX - Deanna Merryfield, 13, Killeen, 22 July 1990 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missy, as I posted before, I had never heard anything about your sister's case. I think it would be a good idea to maybe run a story in the newspaper about her disappearance. This needs to be on the front burner again because it's a very cold case. She's been missing for 17 years now. Killeen has grown a lot, but there are still a lot people here that may remember something. I will get you contact info for one of the reporters to do a story on Deanna if you'd like to try that route also.

Thanks to all of you. You guys are doing a great job.
I'm going to ask my sisters what they think about a newspaper article. I think that even if they don't want to talk to a reporter I'm gonna try.
In 2003 Killeen apparently had a population of over 96,000
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=26637

It wasn't that big when we were growing up there. I think in the mid 90's when I was in high school the city limit signs showed a population just over 50,000. It is booming, but a lot of people I grew up with are still there.

Hi Missy- I admire you for stepping up to the search for your sister. It takes lots of courage. You have all my support and blessings.:D

Great group here on Websleuths!

One suggestion, if I may. and I guess maybe you may call me a little paronoid. But I think it might be best if you did not provide your full name and location on a public forum.You never know who is reading!:cool:

I tried to pm you this --but it did not go through for some reason.
I believe you can edit (erase info) for up to 24 hrs. Or contact a moderator for help.

Does anyone else agree or am I just overly concerned?

I know as a first time poster it is difficult to forsee many things. You will get lots of help here. So don't worry.

I bring this up lovingly as an older and protective poster.

Looking forward to see how your search develops and hope to help in any way I can.

P

Welcome to WS Missie, you certianly picked the right group to ask for help! I applaud you for 'stepping up to the plate' for your sister. I pray that you are successful in locating your sister and being reunited.

Excellent advice Petra! PM's are great for sharing sensitive information. Be careful what you post, you wouldn't believe who might be reading.

Missy, as I posted before, I had never heard anything about your sister's case. I think it would be a good idea to maybe run a story in the newspaper about her disappearance. This needs to be on the front burner again because it's a very cold case. She's been missing for 17 years now. Killeen has grown a lot, but there are still a lot people here that may remember something. I will get you contact info for one of the reporters to do a story on Deanna if you'd like to try that route also.

This is the best tool, IMO, for cold cases...TV News, Newspapers.

Has someone already taken on this task?
We really need her pictures. I will start pulling contacts for that area, then when we get pictures we can start nagging them about getting this story in the news.

I am going to go on classmates, see if anyone is registered for her years/that school...I have Gold so I can email them...see if her name rings a bell.

We really need a picture...I said that already didn't I? LOL!

Missie...what is the progress with the pictures?

We really need her pictures. I will start pulling contacts for that area, then when we get pictures we can start nagging them about getting this story in the news.

I am going to go on classmates, see if anyone is registered for her years/that school...I have Gold so I can email them...see if her name rings a bell.

Thank you Christine! I have been nagging my sisters for a picture since the day before yesterday. Hopefully they can get me one soon. I'm gonna email them again in a few minutes here.
I think I did edit out all the personal info, did I miss something?

Thank you Christine! I have been nagging my sisters for a picture since the day before yesterday. Hopefully they can get me one soon. I'm gonna email them again in a few minutes here.
I think I did edit out all the personal info, did I miss something?

I didn't see where you missed something, just agreeing with Petra, that's all. Lookin' out for ya!

dmaze-Deanna's middle name is Michelle.

I just got an email from my oldest sister. She has joined websleuths and said she will try to help answer questions too. She is going to try to find pictures this weekend and talk to our Grandma about it more.

She also said that Deanna had a scar on her on her upper lip from some type of cut or something.

How big a town is Killeen? I found that this girl had gone missing a year before Deanna.

http://www.ci.killeen.tx.us/killeenpd_com/coldcase/robbins_j.html

Every few years there is an article run about Jenna. I also search UID for her. She was Korean/White, so I look for both Asian and White. No trace of her has ever been found.

Christine, at the time Deanna would have graduated there were only 2 high schools, Killeen & Ellison. The other two didn't exist until about 1998. Great idea to email those on classmates. Most likely start out with Killeen High. Fairway is the middle school that feeds to Killeen High.

This is the only paper listed for that city:

Killeen Daily Herald

TV / Radio Stations:

KNT TV 46

KCENTV Local 6

KNTC 91.3

This is all I found so far...I know there are more. Need to look at a map and see what the surrounding cities are..unless someone posts it before I have time :)
Network channels here cover from Killeen to Waco.
KCEN-6
KWTX-10
KXXV-25
KWKT-44

Local Newspapers:
Killeen Daily Herald
Fort Hood Herald -(Fort Hood, Military base)
Copperas Cove Leader Press
Temple Daily Telegram

I was going to be entering 6th grade at Fairway when Deanna went missing and she would have entered 8th grade there. At that time some students who went to Fairway were also being sent to Ellison High School after they completed the 8th grade. Emailing former students of both schools (graduating class of 95) would be a great idea. I know the fact that I don't have pictures of her is not helping, I should have some soon.

I was going to be entering 6th grade at Fairway when Deanna went missing and she would have entered 8th grade there. At that time some students who went to Fairway were also being sent to Ellison High School after they completed the 8th grade. Emailing former students of both schools (graduating class of 95) would be a great idea. I know the fact that I don't have pictures of her is not helping, I should have some soon.
I didn't realize that. Was before my time :blushing: Now all Fairway goes to Killeen High. Mine were at West Ward Elementary grades K-3 in '93-96, then we moved.

Every few years there is an article run about Jenna. I also search UID for her. She was Korean/White, so I look for both Asian and White. No trace of her has ever been found.

Christine, at the time Deanna would have graduated there were only 2 high schools, Killeen & Ellison. The other two didn't exist until about 1998. Great idea to email those on classmates. Most likely start out with Killeen High. Fairway is the middle school that feeds to Killeen High.

Thanks Sadie! I will update you all with Classmates project...going to add these 2 schools now.

Sadie, you are local?? What is the closest big city?

Thanks Sadie! I will update you all with Classmates project...going to add these 2 schools now.

Sadie, you are local?? What is the closest big city?
Yes, I live in Killeen. The closest "big" city is Austin. Anyone needing someone to go knock on doors let me know. We are expecting heavy storms today, so I will put off going to the library to search for newspaper articles until tomorrow.

I didn't realize that. Was before my time :blushing: Now all Fairway goes to Killeen High. Mine were at West Ward Elementary grades K-3 in '93-96, then we moved.

OK...so I am just working on Killeen High now?

Yes, I live in Killeen. The closest "big" city is Austin. Anyone needing someone to go knock on doors let me know. We are expecting heavy storms today, so I will put off going to the library to search for newspaper articles until tomorrow.

My sister JUST moved from Houston to Austin! Cool.

OK...so I am just working on Killeen High now?
I would start with Killeen High, then Ellison. Harker Height & Shoemaker didn't exist in '95. Killeen is very transient because of Fort Hood. Many of the graduates probably didn't even attend middle school in Killeen. Also, there would be no way to find students who attended Fairway with Deanna if the the military reassigned the parents to another base prior to high school. The average military stay is 3-5 years. It's going to be a tough job tracking down those who knew Deanna in middle school.

It's going to be a tough job tracking down those who knew Deanna in middle school.

That's the best part about working cold cases! You'd be amazed at the things you think can't be investigated, then you think, you know, I think I will look into it, gotta check it out, then YAHTZEEE! Remember, NO stone left unturned...no matter how small or big....one lead takes you to another, which will take you to another.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?