Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
Guelph man missing in California - GuelphToday.com

News Release - A search is currently underway for a 51 year old Canadian citizen described as a white male, 5’5” tall, weighing approximately 160 lbs. Paul Miller was last seen by his wife at around 9am Friday morning when he departed for a hike to 49 Palms Oasis. Miller’s wife notified park rangers that he was overdue around noon and a search was initiated at 12:30 pm. The subject’s vehicle was located in the parking lot at the trailhead of 49 Palms Oasis.

Yesterday’s search included personnel from Joshua Tree National Park Search and Rescue as well as air support from San Bernardino Sheriff’s Dept. Currently there is an incident command center at the 49 Palms Oasis parking lot. Approximately 35 searchers are combing the area with the help of search K-9 units and a helicopter from SBSO is expected to join the search later this morning. Anyone having information as to the whereabouts of this individual or having any other pertinent information is asked to call: 909 383-5651.

upload_2018-7-16_17-29-59.jpeg
Joshua Tree National Park

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
JTNP explained in a comment why no drones are currently used.

Joshua Tree National Park
The national park service does use drones for search and rescue operations when appropriate. Currently this search operation is utilizing a helicopter and for safety purposes drones cannot be deployed at the same time.

A Joshua Tree National Park hiker is still missing, but rain 'gives little more hope'
As the search for a missing hiker enters its fourth day at Joshua Tree National Park, officials are finding a silver lining in recent weather patterns.
A series of rainstorms hit the park in the days preceding Paul Miller's disappearance Friday morning. Some areas received more than an inch of rain, and it's possible storms left behind water that could help sustain Miller while crews look for him.

I was wanting to comment on Neesaki’s post at the end of Thread 1 but don’t see a way to quote it.

Forgive me if this is not appropriate, but just want to share my own experience, as the post struck a chord. It was regarding choosing to commit suicide while holidaying in a different country.

I’m from UK & we were holidaying in California, 15 years ago. Our marriage was crumbling & the holiday disastrous.....but the trip had been booked for a long time & I wanted to go through with it for the children’s sake.....I didn’t want the trip cancelled & couldnt see how my husband could possibly manage our 4 children & a teenage ‘guest’ alone.

A mistake, as the atmosphere was awful...so dreadful.

We were both depressed & drinking ( in the evenings)
I was so depressed when we were staying at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, I was considering suicide......I’d reached that most dangerous state of mind where I thought it would be in the children’s/family’s best interests.

Looking back it’s frightening just how suicidal I was at that time & how close I came. Never before or since have I felt that way.

However, I was still rational enough to realise it would be so much worse for my children/husband/ family, if I took my own life, while we were on holiday, & so far from home.

I made the decision to wait until we got back home.......by which time, though still profoundly depressed, I was not suicidal......that dangerous mind state had passed.

Had I not had my children with me on the trip, I don’t know if the outcome would have been different.

Fortunately the divorce is long since over & though it’s taken time, my ex-husband & I are happily leading our separate lives, but come together, where our children are concerned.

I’m no longer depressed & happier now than I’ve ever been.

Sorry for the long-winded post....( all about ME!)

I don’t know how/if it’s relevant to this case.....but you can understand why Neesaki’s post ( re committing suicide, while holidaying in a different country), struck such a chord, & just wanted to share my my own personal experience of a very difficult time in my life.

I was wanting to comment on Neesaki’s post at the end of Thread 1 but don’t see a way to quote it.

Forgive me if this is not appropriate, but just want to share my own experience, as the post struck a chord. It was regarding choosing to commit suicide while holidaying in a different country.

I’m from UK & we were holidaying in California, 15 years ago. Our marriage was crumbling & the holiday disastrous.....but the trip had been booked for a long time & I wanted to go through with it for the children’s sake.....I didn’t want the trip cancelled & couldnt see how my husband could possibly manage our 4 children & a teenage ‘guest’ alone.

I was so depressed when we were staying at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, I was considering suicide......I’d reached that most dangerous state of mind where I thought it would be in the children’s/family’s best interests.

Looking back it’s frightening just how suicidal I was at that time & how close I came. Never before or since have I felt that way.

However, I was still rational enough to realise it would be so much worse for my children/husband/ family, if I took my own life, while we were on holiday, & so far from home.

I made the decision to wait until we got back home.......by which time, though still profoundly depressed, I was not suicidal......that dangerous mind state had passed.

Had I not had my children with me on the trip, I don’t know if the outcome would have been different.

Fortunately the divorce is long since over & though it’s taken time, my ex-husband & I are happily leading our separate lives, but come together, where our children are concerned.

I don’t know how/if it’s relevant to this case.....but you can understand why Neesaki’s post ( re committing suicide, while holidaying in a different country), struck such a chord, & just wanted to share my my own personal experience of a very difficult time in my life.

Thank you for sharing and I am glad things have turned around for you.

I can see how it struck a chord with you, and am so glad to hear things worked out for you are now living a happier life. And thank you for sharing your experience, it is food for thought.

It appears that Paul's family is depending on Park and local LE SAR efforts but not using any outside SAR groups such as Jon Francis organization that is being used in Samantha Sayers search.
I don't know what the JTNP policy is in regards in using outside groups in SAR efforts but the family needs to be more proactive themselves in getting more SAR groups involved in the search for Paul.

It appears that Paul's family is depending on Park and local LE SAR efforts but not using any outside SAR groups such as Jon Francis organization that is being used in Samantha Sayers search.
I don't know what the JTNP policy is in regards in using outside groups in SAR efforts but the family needs to be more proactive themselves in getting more SAR groups involved in the search for Paul.
Just a suggestion, but I think this might be a cultural distinction between Americans and Canadians. There is much more of a tendency for Canadians to accept that those in authority are doing their best, and that it's socially too disruptive for individuals to distrust authority and fight for special treatment. Also, perhaps there's more willingness to accept things at face value. What some people view as proactive, others might see as beating your head against a brick wall, painful and pointless.

Thanks for sharing. I have a similar though not so dramatic incident in my past and have no trouble seeing how in a moment of despair someone might act on a suicidal impulse. I'm not sure anybody around me would have known that's how I was feeling, either. Depressed people often put on a public face to hide their pain and some of us are amazingly good at it.

Seán O’Shea‏Verified account @ConsumerSOS
Seán O’Shea Retweeted Seán O’Shea

I reported last month on the disappearance of Paul Miller of Guelph, Ontario. Missing from Joshua Tree National Park in California since July 13. He’s still missing. FBI told me they would help but weren’t asked by the park.

Seán O’Shea on Twitter

*Video at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members