DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he have to take the stand if he is trying to pin it on his brothers? Or, can he let the attorneys try to make that case for him in arguments?

If it is the former, I'd love to see him on the stand and let the prosecutors go at him.

There has to be some evidence that someone else did it. Opening statements aren't evidence. The fact they share DNA isn't going to be enough. I don't think where the car was found will add much either.

The evidence they allegedly have is Daron's purported testimony. But his testimony opens up many cans of worms for him.

Even with Wallace they have to come up with evidence that links him to the crime. I'm always skeptical when the government suggests some substance was found without providing the details (what exactly is it, how common is the substance, other explanations for its location) so I am just as skeptical when the defense tries to similarly argue.

Without evidence that links others to the crime then you can't argue it in closing.

Paul Wagner‏Verified account @Fox5Wagner
Employee of pet resort told the court in Mansion Murders trial she called Savopoulos home phone around 3:14 on the 13th. Could not leave message. Phone disconnected. Late in the afternoon Amy called back-sounded “sleepy, like under the weather, not like her at all”.

Dm6QOpqWwAAn5Kr.jpg

10:22 AM - 12 Sep 2018

Paul Wagner‏Verified account @Fox5Wagner
Detective testified in Mansion Murder trial he saw body of Savas Savopoulos in ambulance and noticed a smell of gasoline and cuts “about his head”. Inside, In bedroom where Phillip was found “I could smell the odor of burnt human remains. Jury shown video of inside house.

Dm6O21EXsAEqVHo.jpg

10:16 AM - 12 Sep 20

I think the jurors are going to just roll their eyes at the idea that Daron just popped on by in his minivan to see his brothers at some house in NW DC without inquiring why they were there, who was upstairs, what was going on, and helped himself to a little cold pizza while he was at it. Common sense says no, just no.

Darron Wint Had Help in Murder of Savopoulos Family: Cops
by Jon Schuppe / May.22.2015 / 1:57 PM ET / Updated May.23.2015 / 4:58 PM ET

Others Helped Darron Wint Kill Savopoulos Family and Housekeeper: Cops

This is a news report from 2015 with video (couldn't upload) by DC Prosecutor shortly after Wint arrest.

This is pretty typical when the investigation is ongoing and not near to being completed. I have seen them say the same thing in other cases early on.

One example was when the 8 family members were murdered in Georgia. However once the investigation and all of the evidence had been collected the evidence showed one sole perpetrator....Guy Heinz jr.

There was no evidence that anyone else was involved. He was sentenced to Lwop.

Imo I don't think DW had help nor needed help. I don't think there will be any evidence submitted of others who were there at the time when he murdered them one by one.

I think the jurors are going to just roll their eyes at the idea that Daron just popped on by in his minivan to see his brothers at some house in NW DC without inquiring why they were there, who was upstairs, what was going on, and helped himself to a little cold pizza while he was at it. Common sense says no, just no.

Unless the brothers made Savvas call Daron and ask him to come over. Daron arrives and his brothers say they are leaving, Savvas is "going to bed" or something of the sort. I'm just speculating as to how it would even be possible for Wint to not know the murders happened. The real head-scratcher is why Wint would be en route to turn himself in if he didn't know what happened. I'm not sure if it's poor news reporting or the attorney, but this is a huge contradiction in this scenario.

I'm sure there's much more to this story than we can even fathom, and both sides are withholding key details. Like where Wint was the previous night. This might sound trivial, but is it a coincidence that wherever he was didn't have wifi or 3g? I would like to know more about his whereabouts prior to the murders.

Lie after lie, so his statements have little credibility.
It will amount to evidence found and produced, I would think.

Will he have to take the stand if he is trying to pin it on his brothers? Or, can he let the attorneys try to make that case for him in arguments?

If it is the former, I'd love to see him on the stand and let the prosecutors go at him.
I believe at least one of the brothers was with DW when he was arrested. Why was brother not detained and arrested. These alleged co-conspirators have been walking free for more than 3 years! Hurts my head...

New info on this feed, first time I saw that home phone lines were cut. warning! some graphic: Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

AS was seen walking dog around 3:30 and there was speculation perp had entered house at her return, but per above:

“[witness] said she initially tried placing a call to the family's home phone number at 3:14 p.m. but the phone was disconnected. This could be a key detail in establishing when prosecutors say they believe Wint entered the family's home before taking them hostage. Amy Savopoulos was seen walking in the neighborhood at about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon, meaning the intruder was already in the house at that point and had cut the phone lines. ”

New info on this feed, first time I saw that home phone lines were cut. warning! some graphic: Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

AS was seen walking dog around 3:30 and there was speculation perp had entered house at her return, but per above:

“[witness] said she initially tried placing a call to the family's home phone number at 3:14 p.m. but the phone was disconnected. This could be a key detail in establishing when prosecutors say they believe Wint entered the family's home before taking them hostage. Amy Savopoulos was seen walking in the neighborhood at about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon, meaning the intruder was already in the house at that point and had cut the phone lines. ”
Yes, this is new info to me too. So scary.

Excellent recap at the link. Thanks for posting it.

jmo

Is court in session on Friday's? Anybody know, thanks!

Judges usually don't sit in trial Fridays. It's a "junk" day - sentencings, status hearings, show cause hearings, etc. But this is a smaller calendar so she may schedule Fridays, or at least some Fridays.

Did she say anything about scheduling to the jurors? Judges usually lay out the general schedule at the beginning of a trial.

pretty good trial overview here:

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

Wint openings continued. Prosecution: torture & killings took place in Savopoulos’ absent daughters adjoining bedrooms. Evidence on skin shows they we bound by tape, zip ties, forced to make calls. Computer holding interior surveillance destroyed. Phone lines cut. 2/5

Graphic. Prosecution opening: In bedroom - 2 bloody baseball bats, blood soaked comforter, rugs, splatter. Room smelled of gasoline. Gas on Savvas’ pants. Samurai sword found in nearby bathroom. Stab broke Veras neck. Savvas was stabbed in back thru his neck. 3/5

Defense: DNA found on hair in bloody bedding (one of 5 DNA profiles matching Wint in prosecutions case) would be identical to brother Steffon’s. After killings, Wint searched for “10 hideout cities for fugitives.” Darrell gave Wint victims’ 2 iPhones & controlled the ransom $ 5/5

Day 2: Piecing together a digital timeline

The U.S. Secret Service analyzed digital evidence taken from computers belonging to both Savvas and Amy Savopoulos. The computers gave analysts access to the couple's iCloud accounts, which were linked to their iPhones. The digital evidence trail begins to provide a bit of a timeline of events on the day three members of the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper were taken hostage and later killed -- but there are still many gaps.

Some of the messages are eerie reminders that May 13, 2015 started out as just another day for the family. One of the Savopoulos' teen daughters -- away at a boarding school in New Jersey -- messaged early that morning telling her parents about her prom plans.

The remaining messages all came much later in the day -- after the family was taken hostage, according to prosecutors.

A message sent late that night -- after 11 p.m. -- contains a reference to the family's home security system. "Savvas -- I believe your cameras record on motion," the message said. It's not clear who the message came from.

A message the next morning from Amy Savopoulos to the family's other housekeeper, Nelly Gutierrez reads: "I am making sure you do not come today."

The next afternoon, there are messages from neighbors: "your house is on fire! Not a joke" was sent to at 1:33 p.m. on May 14. By that point, prosecutors said all four victims had been killed, doused in gasoline and set afire.

A message sent at 1:41 p.m. to Amy Savopoulos' phone reads: "Amy your house is on fire - called fire dept and Savvas please tell me you're OK."

Melanie Alnwick's use of descriptive words is superb.

She has painted a picture of what the detective actually witnessed, through his eyes.

The shock of the description of the once cheery rooms compared to the aftermath of the horrors that occurred there is quite staggering through Ms. Alnwick's writing.

The enormousness of the evil that took place there is unfathomable. The details of the remains of the rooms tell a good deal of the horrible events.

Even the description of the rooms, as witnessed by the detective, is extremely heart-rending.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member