Found Deceased UK - Thomas Jones, 18, Worcester, 19 Sep 2018

Elgana

Reaction score
Police have identified two men wanted in connection with the disappearance of a student in his first week of university.

Thomas Jones, 18, was last seen near the River Severn in Worcester during the early hours of Wednesday.

River search for missing uni student

Criminal probe over missing student

This one is not looking like it is going to have a good outcome.

The two wanted men.

_103546489_thomasjonescase1.png

_103547595_thomasjonescase3.png

Criminal probe over missing student
(Same BBC link as above.)

Press release from West Mercia Police.

Search for missing teenager Thomas Jones - arrest made
A man has been arrested in connection with an investigation in Worcester to locate missing 18-year-old Thomas Jones.

A 20-year-old man from Worcester was arrested this evening (Sunday 23 September) on suspicion of murder. He is currently in police custody.

Thomas has not been heard from since the early hours of Wednesday morning (19 September).

Detective Inspector Mark Bellamy from West Mercia Police said: "Extensive enquiries have been carried out since Thomas was reported missing on Wednesday, and officers have been working around the clock to try and determine what happened in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

"I would like to thank everyone who has come forward with information over the past five days, and to the hundreds of volunteers who have been supporting the investigation - the level of support that we have received from the local community is overwhelming.

"A number of lines of enquiry are currently ongoing and I hope today's developments will assist us in our continued investigation.

"Thomas' family has been made aware of the update and they are being supported by specially trained officers.

"Searches will be continuing and we kindly ask that the public stay away from the search area, so that our highly trained search divers and officers can work without distraction and continue to conduct a full and thorough search.

"I would continue to appeal to anyone who may have seen Tom in the area or out towards Hylton Road in the early hours of Wednesday morning. We believe that he crossed the Sabrina footbridge and then walked onto the footpath that runs along the top of the flood defences on Hylton Road out of town generally in the direction of Hallow, just before 3.50am.

"I understand today's update may have an impact on the local community and there will be officers in the local area over the coming days to offer reassurance to local residents. Anyone who is concerned is encouraged to speak to a local officer on patrol or to call us."

Anyone with any information is asked to call West Mercia Police on 101 quoting incident number 431s of 19 September. Alternatively, you can contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Issued: 8pm, Sunday 23 September, HCB, Corporate Communications

West Mercia Police - Search for missing teenager Thomas Jones - arrest made

I wonder what Tom was doing walking towards Hallow at that time of morning. It's a village so not the sort of place where you'd expect to find typical student accommodation.

As a Bromsgove lad, living only about 10 miles from Worcester, there'd be no need for him to be living away from home - especially as living at home would reduce his ongoing costs and eventual student debt considerably. It seems unlikely that he'd be walking from the university to home as it was probably too far to walk and in any event he was heading in the wrong direction.

Maybe worth a mention that Tom disappeared only a few miles from where Stephen Woolley was found drowned in the Severn about 18 months ago.

Found Deceased - UK - Stephen Woolley, 55, Worcester, 6 December 2016

This is confusing.

Man arrested over disappearance of student, 18, who went missing after a fresher's night out at university

He had called his mother to say he was home safe after 3am but never arrived.

Would you really phone your mum at 3am to say you got home safely? Was she sitting up at that time waiting for a phone call (if so, how bizarre) or was she in bed asleep and did he wake her up?

Also that seems to indicate he was not living at the family home in Bromsgrove but was presumably forking out rent to live barely 10 miles away. Given the cost of tuition fees these days many students choose to attend a local university in order to live at home and save money. Those who really want the whole going away from home experience tend to choose a more distant university to attend for the added independence.

There's so much that's not being reported.

Where was Tom actually living?
Why would he be heading towards Hallow?
Who is the man who's been arrested? Is he connected with Tom in any way or a complete stranger?

Would you really phone your mum at 3am to say you got home safely? Was she sitting up at that time waiting for a phone call (if so, how bizarre) or was she in bed asleep and did he wake her up?

Also that seems to indicate he was not living at the family home in Bromsgrove but was presumably forking out rent to live barely 10 miles away. Given the cost of tuition fees these days many students choose to attend a local university in order to live at home and save money. Those who really want the whole going away from home experience tend to choose a more distant university to attend for the added independence.

I went to a university just 7 miles from home. The first year I lived at my parents home, but it became difficult because I didn't have the freedom and independence that my new university friends had, so the second and third years I rented a room in a house with my friends. Whilst living at home my Mum would stay up worrying if I went on a night out with friends. I guess some Mum's worry more than others. This put pressure on our relationship and my want for independence so that's why I moved out despite the university being so close to home. Maybe if his Mum was the worrying, smothering kind, he decided he wanted that independence from the start, despite not living far away. Maybe that university had the perfect course for him so he didn't want to go to one miles away. He might have felt it was the best of both worlds.

Just throwing it out there anyway!

This is odd. When I saw he was missing I assumed it was the usual young man drunk near a river scenario so the arrests have thrown me. I wonder what reason the police have to think something sinister happened?
The police must have very strong evidence against the two that are arrested, they would normally wait until the body has been found ,

Yes, I wonder what the motive was if a crime was committed. He had only just moved to the area. Maybe he got into a disagreement or fight with the two men and they followed him later and did something to him. It will be interesting to see what emerges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back