Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to Rankin Lake Park a few times. There are other trails in the park, but the one around the lake, that from what I'm seeing is the one they were walking on, is completely open...from any point on the path, you can see the entire rest of it. IIRC, there is a shooting range near the property, but it's not really a rural area by any means. There are some very overgrown areas to the outside of the lake loop trail that look swampy and a pipe between two sections of the lake that moves water fast enough to form a whirlpool but I'm not sure it's big enough for a child that size. There are picnic pavilions on the shore where people often have cookouts and parties and pretty much the entire lake is visible from some of them. As busy as the park is on nice days, it's hard to imagine that unless he went into the water and went under immediately and silently that nobody would have seen him--swimming isn't allowed, but boating is. The entire park is over 200 acres, so it's certainly possible that he's in another part of the park or hiding somewhere. I hope he is found safe.
Here's a link to the city's website for the park, with links to photos and a not-really-great map.
City of Gastonia - Rankin Lake Park

Last edited:
Not one trace of this child yet. I have had to refrain from posting as to avoid violating terms. A lot of screenshots and comments on Facebook are revealing and as close to a statement from family that has been seen so far. I cant imagine how this childs mother is feeling. my 4 year old son woke up an hour ago crying because I had forgotten to plug back in his night light. Maddox, I hope you are out there waiting on them to find you although, without a doubt you are terrified.

WBTV News

Having actually been on this trail so frequently made me question the report that he had ran off ahead instantly. When you are on the trail, you can see still see the full trail and lake. The view is unobstructed so no way to imagine he ran off ahead 'quickly'. There had to have been a good bit of time that he was not in eyesight....(which is inexcusable with a small child, this close to water)
The only thing optimistic at all is that no BODY has been found. ..... but even with that, he did not just vanish. Not one reported sighting of him since dads report. ( and we still dont know if it has even been confirmed he really was even there before then)...
Abduction actually seems like the least possibility. Even with law enforcement now stating it's not ruled out, they have not pushed that theory as urgent in any way. They have actually been more vocal about asking again for pictures or videos the public may have from before he disappeared..... That is really worrisome because it makes it appear as if they still dont know if he ever was there yet..

yrmfp, asking for videos and pictures could just as easily mean that they are looking for potential witnesses and/or possible abductors. I can’t imagine someone taking their child’s body to a public park to dump it, unless there is seldom anyone there. Granted, the world does contain more than a few less than brilliant people.

I use to always take my special needs clients (that had habit of " running ahead") there to walk because of how much easier it was for me to keep them in constant sight. If you're on the trail surrounding the lake ( where he is reportedly missing from) the view is unobstructed... The trail is however outlined by trees and sits only feet away from the water therefore I still had to remain hyper aware ( just as I am with my own young son) as things can go bad so quickly around water... I truly hope he is ok but Its impossible to not think the worse... ... People keep posting on news sites that since he is nonverbal he couldn't cry for help but nonverbal does not necessarily mean he makes no sounds at all... Many individuals are 'nonverbal' however can still communicate sounds ( screams, laughs, humming etc.)

I did find parents facebooks and didnt get that " off" feeling we normally get however, I find it hard to believe he was able to disappear from sight if dad was actually on the trail... Its very likely he is in the water but dad definitely would have saw that unless paying ZERO attention ..Not accusing just trying to wrap my head around it while knowing I went out of my way to use that trail with clients for that EXACT reason; had any ran ahead of me while walking it they would have still been in my line of sight while I caught up....I'm a parent to a very behavioral challenged 4 year old who has ZERO fear so I get it... we are human and allowed to look away....just not feet away from water, with a child who likely was prone to running.
This was also a gorgeous day at an already busy park. I did just see that police are searching surveillance video.
Surrounding the park is a lot of drainage pipes ( this use to be a water reservoir until 2013 when they revamped it), a shooting range backs right up to it, several industrial buildings surround it as well as lots of woods and creeks.
I've attached some photos of the trail and lake.

yrmfp,it looks like the walk is surrounded on one side by water and the other by trees. Is there any fencing on the other side of the trees and how far back do the trees go?

The two Goldens in one photo, are they yours? Beautiful pair.

yrmfp, asking for videos and pictures could just as easily mean that they are looking for potential witnesses and/or possible abductors. I can’t imagine someone taking their child’s body to a public park to dump it, unless there is seldom anyone there. Granted, the world does contain more than a few less than brilliant people.

Right. But in some cases, they report them as going missing in one park, when they have already been placed somewhere else. So it is important to have evidence that the child was alive and well at the park, as reported.

I am NOT saying it isn't so.

Just saying in some cases, it is a lie.[ A mother recently reported that her son was with her in a park, and she was struck in the head and passed out, and he was gone. Turns out, she had gotten rid of him before she arrived there. ]

yrmfp,it looks like the walk is surrounded on one side by water and the other by trees. Is there any fencing on the other side of the trees and how far back do the trees go?

The two Goldens in one photo, are they yours? Beautiful pair.
P

No, the photos were " borrowed " to help give people not local an idea of the parks set up. I'm attaching an additional photo that shows the area better but you're correct, the trail he was reported to have went missing from wraps completely around the lake so you have water on one side and trees on the other ( with exception of the front area, where there is the docks, parking lot etc.... the very back portion of the pond ( if standing in parking lot) backs up to a shooting range. There is fencing there to separate those areas and several steep and rocky inclines. It isn't just flat landed woods back there....That part is the least occupied part of the park . You would only be there passing through that part of the trail.
The lake has been searched several times now and FBI joined today. He has not been found. This isnt a huge lake .. I cant imagine he would have been missed with all the resources they have out there.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537769903478.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537769903478.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 53

Law enforcement is being very tight lipped including not disclosing if other people or the surveillance video actually verified he was there Saturday . There has been that constant vibe they have shown that they are not necessarily searching because they KNOW he had been there as much as that they do not have proof that he was NOT.

Right. But in some cases, they report them as going missing in one park, when they have already been placed somewhere else. So it is important to have evidence that the child was alive and well at the park, as reported.

I am NOT saying it isn't so.

Just saying in some cases, it is a lie.[ A mother recently reported that her son was with her in a park, and she was struck in the head and passed out, and he was gone. Turns out, she had gotten rid of him before she arrived there. ]

This has been the majority of local community's assumption as well...
** Nothing stated by LE has supported nor denied that as of yet

#NOW The search for Maddox Ritch is now making national headlines. Nancy Grace has picked up the story. Gastonia PD just sent an update saying search will continue overnight. @FOX46News

https://twitter.com/brettfox46/status/1044029807338696704?s=21

URGENT: Little boy with special needs disappears from park, federal authorities join search crimeonline.com/2018/09/23/urg… via @crimeonlinenews

https://twitter.com/nancygrace/status/1043942006702186497?s=21

URGENT: Little boy with special needs disappears from park, federal authorities join search

WSOCTV reports that Maddox Ritch disappeared around 1:30 p.m. Saturday while with his family at Rankin Lake. Family members stated they last saw him at the park area with his dad and another adult when he wandered off on his own, according to authorities.

“They were walking around the lake,” Gastonia spokeswoman Rachel Bagley said. “They got around to the backside of the lake. He started running, according to the parents, and when they started running after him, they just lost sight of him, and then no one has seen him ever since.”

http://www.crimeonline.com/2018/09/...rs-from-park-federal-authorities-join-search/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname