Supreme Court Nominee

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought she testified the only witness to the events was Mark Judge? And Mark Judge has refused to come forward in any capacity.

Not only has he not come forward, he is hiding out. And the committee will not call upon him to testify even though he is a named witness. Why not?!? Dirty partisanship, that’s why.

He does NOT have to prove himself innocent of the accusation! That is NOT what this country is built on!!!!

She made the claims, she has to provide validation for them.

How about I claim that Ford showed up at my house last night and egged it due to my posts? Can I sue her for damage to my home?
This is not a criminal trial. So the "innocent until proven guilty" standard obviously does not apply. This goes to his character and fitness and background to serve as a Supreme Court Justice. All accusations are fair game and he absolutely signed up for this by accepting the nomination.

Facts are why an investigation are needed and her life through no fault on her part has been put in disarray or torn apart if you will.
I'm with Cory Booker...heroic for coming forward with her story. IMO
Heroic and I also found her very credible. A liar would have added to the story or made up answers to some of the questions.

Kind of like how Kavanaugh did when he said in high school he studied, did scouting, and went to church.

I did not suffer rape but a very mild assault compared to her’s. I was 13-15 years old. I don’t remember my age. I remember exactly where I was and the perp who I guess was around my age.

I never told anyone.That is the last thing I would do because that would have meant curtailing my freedom. No being outside by myself at night or going to friend’s houses.

Another friend in college was threatened with a scissors. She got away. Back in the 70’s. She was underage drinking and walked home alone at night. Two reasons at the time that she thought it meant it was her fault.

I truly wonder if there are any women who did not suffer some kind of sexual assault. It has been incredible to me to hear of so many former classmates from the late 60’s talking about what happened to them. We never ever shared that. I was totally clueless.

Most of us were. But that does not make a case for this particular situation.

Every claim of sexual assault has to stand on it's own, be proven or not, on it's own, otherwise our system crumbles.

He does NOT have to prove himself innocent of the accusation! That is NOT what this country is built on!!!!

How about I claim that Ford showed up at my house last night and egged it due to my posts? Can I sue her for damage to my home?

Yes, you can. Anyone can sue for anything. A judge may throw it out before it is ever tried, though

Heroic and I also found her very credible. A liar would have added to the story or made up answers to some of the questions.

Kind of like how Kavanaugh did when he said in high school he studied, did scouting, and went to church.

Do you have proof that he did not?

Most of us were. But that does not make a case for this particular situation.

Every claim of sexual assault has to stand on it's own, be proven or not, on it's own, otherwise our system crumbles.

I am talking about her not remembering every detail. Do you? Mine is like a movie. The assault is in color and the background is very fuzzy and muted.

This is not a criminal trial. So the "innocent until proven guilty" standard obviously does not apply. This goes to his character and fitness and background to serve as a Supreme Court Justice. All accusations are fair game and he absolutely signed up for this by accepting the nomination.

This is a tired argument. "This is not a criminal trial" does not invalidate the fact that she made the accusations, she needs to be able to validate them. It is what our society has practiced and has been built, legally and otherwise, for decades. Without that, we have the Salem witch trials...which weren't trials at all.

Yes, you can.

And he is potentially going to be elected to one of the most powerful, influential positions in our country. These allegations HAVE to be addressed. This is not a court of law, no one holds the burden of proof. This is about character and fitness for the position. If there is an allegation, the people of this country must hear about it. And he MUST respond to it.

If he didn't do it, he needs to make me believe him. Right now, I don't.

I am talking about her not remembering every detail. Do you? Mine is like a movie. The assault is in color and the background is very fuzzy and muted.

Don't you think she should be able to remember who was there, what year it happened, and where it happened, at the very least? If she is not able to provide that, what makes you think she can, without a doubt, provide anything else...such as who assaulted her? Was she drinking, maybe enough as to be unable to differentiate between several of the young men in attendance?

This is a tired argument. "This is not a criminal trial" does not invalidate the fact that she made the accusations, she needs to be able to validate them. It is what our society has practiced and has been built, legally and otherwise, for decades. Without that, we have the Salem witch trials...which weren't trials at all.
I'm confused by what you think her testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee is if not validating her accusations? ETA: Also she took a polygraph.

Even Chris Wallace on Fox today said this is making Republicans look bad. I expect nomination will be pulled within 24 hours.

And there are a multitude of talking heads saying the opposite.

This should not be about Republicans or Democrats "looking bad", this should be about did this event happen. If it did, then he should not be on the SC, if it didn't, then it should go for a vote.

And this is part of the problem with SM. Feelings are not facts. This situation should be about facts, and ONLY facts.

A man's life, and that of his families, are being torn apart. In fact, this situation has the potential to create a huge impact on how our country goes forth. Facts are what matters now.

And a young girl's life may have been torn apart decades ago, still affecting her today. Why is his life more important than hers?

I'm confused by what you think her testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee is if not validating her accusations?

A validation of her accusations would be valid witnesses to the event claiming same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419