Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO it does not make sense that Arjen Kamphuis would not have spoken to anyone during ten days. Not eaten anywhere during ten days. No shopping for groceries.
If all this is true, his must have been raving mad from social isolation and exhausted due to lack of food.

I don not believe that it is true, but in the unlikely event that it is, his physical and mental state would explain perfectly why the kayak was so badly assembled. And he would not have been able to walk from Rognan station to the shore with all his packs.

The clerk at the desk did not notice anything particular during his check-out. Let's assume that AK ate, slept, shopped and also had contact with other persons, who do not remember him.

If he came to Norway with a huge interest/purpose (and imo it seems more likely then enjoy vacation time) ..he would keep a low profile

If I remember correctly (dont pinn me on that..) there was a tip that some one saw him at a mall..maybe for doing shopping for groceriers.
He doesnt have a drivers licence..so that tip..(if valid)should be close to the hotel,at his staying.. I read somewhere he had an knee ok..year before
If that tip is correct... (who knows..?) we should check the kind of shops the mall has.

For all we know,the hotels he booked was centred.

AK spend enough time in Bodø,public transport avaible ...and I really want to post this...the weather during his booking/time in Bodø area

AK is very well skilled in tech. so imo he calculated the weather Været som var (detaljert) Bodø to avoid drones maybe? / orso,area surroundings etc etc

And that he didnt seem to speak with no one,is imo not known...only that no one came forward..only that tip,that he was seen with two others who talked German with eachother...

All speculation from my part...the way,I am heading too..atm

Last edited:
The damage to the ORU kayak:
Fernseh Kanal on Twitter
(The "sharp" perforations are strange if you ask me..)

DofZHRWX4AMDt3K.jpg

Note the damage "stressed polymer" and compare with these images:
ORU Kayak - crush test

A woman would have seen him at Rema on Fauske the following day.
I am not sure if this was the one and panned out..?!
August 21,tuesday Fauske - Finn din matbutikk - REMA 1000

The Radisson Blu hotel: (price quotation shows/option automatic
including breakfast)
It is 200 meters from the Glasshuset Shopping Center.
Glasshuset (Bodo) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - Bodo, Norway | TripAdvisor If you read the reviews,it seems like it is very busy & the perfect place to eat
I really hope that the police/friends put up flyers or asked the shop owners ,cafe's etc if they have seen him..or something like that.

Last edited:
The damage to the ORU kayak:
Fernseh Kanal on Twitter
(The "sharp" perforations are strange if you ask me..)

DofZHRWX4AMDt3K.jpg

Note the damage "stressed polymer" and compare with these images:
ORU Kayak - crush test
More questions:
Could the 2 buckle stripes that are missing have something to do..(for example) that when the kayak turned over and you want to get out?
Or when it was pulled ashore..that the person was looking for valuables and the stripes were removed to do search for it,in the kayak?

I have to admit that I never went kayaking..so

Now that I gave your post a second good look..
@Chiatos Do you know if the police still have the kayak stored in a garage? (like we saw on the media photo?) Examed by an expert...hopefully!
Was this tweet brought under attention to the Dutch & Norwegian police..or media..so that it does get the attention, it is requared!

Last edited:
Now that I gave your post a second good look..
@Chiatos Do you know if the police still have the kayak stored in a garage? (like we saw on the media photo?) Examed by an expert...hopefully!
Was this tweet brought under attention to the Dutch & Norwegian police..or media..so that it does get the attention, it is requared!
I don't know where the kayak is being stored. The guys of these tweets are connected to findarjen and therefore to Cave e.a.

I truely hope that the Kayak has been investigated, not only by Norwegian police but also by the 2 Dutch investigators. Also, the kayak should be physically investigated by experts.

This is so strange.

Nope, it mentions a lot of wild speculations from twitter... And in the end the same old theories from the police..

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder whether Arjen's disappearance might ... might ... might ... might have anything to do with the attempted hack and the expulsion of Russian spies by the Dutch secret services last April?

(And now it seems that the chief of Interpol has gone missing too? Probably unrelated, therefore in brackets.)

I'm starting to wonder whether Arjen's disappearance might ... might ... might ... might have anything to do with the attempted hack and the expulsion of Russian spies by the Dutch secret services last April?

(And now it seems that the chief of Interpol has gone missing too? Probably unrelated, therefore in brackets.)
Personally I do think that the whole Russian spies thing..the way it was presented by the gov. well...it seems to thick to believe it.
But I agree,it all is very odd

Kollega om den mystiske forsvinningen: – Helt sikker på at Arjen fortsatt er i live

In an anonymous office building in Amsterdam, Marco Visser is sitting in front of the computer. He is one of Arjen Kamphuis's closest colleagues, and has known him for four years. They work together in the company Pretty Good Knowledge, which helps companies with data security.

NRK has traveled to Amsterdam to get more answers in the mysterious disappearance case. Arjen Kamphuis was last seen when he left a hotel in Bodø on August 20th. Then his mobile signal was picked up in Stavanger, and all certain trails ended.

By now, nobody knows where the 47 year old is. But in his workplace, home in the Netherlands, they are sure he is alive.
"I'm sure he's alive somewhere. When he comes home I will give him a hug and a kick in the balls for what he has done to us."

The case has received great attention in Kamphuis's homeland, and Dutch police work closely with the Norwegian. The police in other European countries are also involved in the case.

Visser also says that they have never heard Kamphuis mention Bodø as any planned destination. "He said that he was going to Svalbard to watch polar bears, so everyone was surprised when he suddenly changed the plans to Bodø just before he left. I thought maybe it was a stop on the way to Svalbard."

Visser found that his colleague was missing when he did not turn up for a work meeting. It was not like Kamphuis, he says. When he tried to track down Kamphuis, he found out he never traveled to Svalbard.

"Why cancel the trip to travel to, no offense meant, Bodø? It's not exactly the world's navel."

Kamphuis spent ten days in Bodø before he was reported missing

Visser says he has no reason to believe Kamphuis has suffered an accident. He is too experienced, he believes. Nor does he think the disappearance has any connection to his past as a WikiLeaks employee, saying he is not involved there anymore.

According to Visser, Kamphuis was tired of activist life.

But he has made his own thoughts about what might have happened. He thinks something has scared him and that he is hiding.

"I think something has happened to him, either physically or mentally, which makes him want to stay hidden."

If that is correct why does not he contact you?

"He would have contacted us if he wanted to. He must be afraid, and dare not involve us," says Visser.

The police also work with the theory that Kamphuis may have staged his own disappearance. The reasons why people choose to disappear vary.

Mental illness, economics or relationship problems are common causes. Mostly men disappear.

Ancilla van der Leest, a close friend of Kamphuis, sees no obvious reason for his desire to disappear. Nevertheless, she does not want to rule out her friend's mental health.

"He was elated and happy before he left. He has good friends and a nice apartment in Amsterdam. His business is going well and he has a lot of job assignments. He had many plans for the fall."

NRK meets van der Leest at a cafe in Amsterdam. Since Arjen disappeared, she has worked day and night to get answers about the disappearance of their friend.

Most preferably she would have traveled to Norway, but she has a newborn baby to take care of.

Therefore, there was no one in the circle of friends who reacted when Arjen told about Norway's holiday trip. While he seldom took a vacation, he often traveled to places where he could enjoy nature.

Journalist Ilan Sluis works for The Netherlands's biggest daily newspaper, De Telegraaf. He does not think that Arjen has disappeared voluntarily.

"Let's say he thinks like an hacker. That he is kayaking, dropping his id papers as an experiment to see if he could get home without papers. But it has been six weeks. He would know that family and friends were worried and given a sign of life."

In recent weeks, he has worked closely on the disappearance case, and has written several reports.

Sluis is stopped by people on the street, who asks what he believes about the disappearance. Among other things, the intelligence organizations CIA or MI6 might be involved. The journalist has no good answers to what may have happened, but asks readers not to believe the wildest conspiracy theories.

Equally, the matter remains a mystery. When the kayak was found, Sluis was sure he had been victim of an accident. But when the phone contact appeared a few days later, the confusion was complete again.

"Given the security expert he is, his phone was very well secured. The chance that someone else could open the phone is small. I doesn't really make sense," according to Sluis.

Neither Ilan Sluis nor Ancilla van de Leest are impressed by the efforts of Norwegian police - especially in the start-up phase. They believe the police arrived late on the stage to start searching for Arjen.

"In the start-up phase, they were mostly concerned that he had not been formally reported missing. That was when he had been reported missing for several days already," says Van de Leest.

She believes that if the search had started faster, Arjen might have been found. Sluis fears that time is working against them and against a solution of the disappearance.

"Everything is standing still now. It has been a long time to find new pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. Both for the police and us in the media."

Ancilla van der Leest has not given up the hope that her friend is alive. But it has been six weeks and she acknowledges that she must be realistic.

"If he is no longer alive, it is still important that he is found. If he has been the victim of an accident, then it's tragic, but you can always say goodbye and have a funeral. In this case we have nothing. We have no answers."

BBM

Personally I do think that the whole Russian spies thing..the way it was presented by the gov. well...it seems to thick to believe it.
But I agree,it all is very odd
I do believe what the government has said. I definitely don't believe that all that shown evidence has been invented. And I believe that -in this case- Russia wanted to get hold of certain information, important to Russia.

If you think about it, it's not so far fetched at all. Spies trying to get info, so what's new. And they got caught. Nothing surprising.

But somehow somewhere I'm asking myself whether there is any link to arjens disappearance, whether he chose to disappear himself or not.

I would like to see helicopter search, drone search, sniffing dogs in a boat search at the fjord and nearby Fauske area and south of Stavanger! Clean those aras where the phone connects in a search for possible belongings and or AK !

Found someone that has collected a lot of information (and added some conspiracy teories as well) in connection with AKs disappearence, but some of the info collected is interesting, Gunnar Hagen Verdt å vite

Yesterday I started in the book of Luke Harding "The Snowden Files" and it is idd baffling how governments systematically violate privacy rights under the guise of security.

About the kayak: why would anybody drag a clumsy origami expensive kayak with him all the way from Holland if hecould easily have hired a kayakk on the spot that was suitable for the local sea conditions? Hmz

Kollega om den mystiske forsvinningen: – Helt sikker på at Arjen fortsatt er i live

In an anonymous office building in Amsterdam, Marco Visser is sitting in front of the computer. He is one of Arjen Kamphuis's closest colleagues, and has known him for four years. They work together in the company Pretty Good Knowledge, which helps companies with data security.

NRK has traveled to Amsterdam to get more answers in the mysterious disappearance case. Arjen Kamphuis was last seen when he left a hotel in Bodø on August 20th. Then his mobile signal was picked up in Stavanger, and all certain trails ended.

By now, nobody knows where the 47 year old is. But in his workplace, home in the Netherlands, they are sure he is alive.
"I'm sure he's alive somewhere. When he comes home I will give him a hug and a kick in the balls for what he has done to us."

The case has received great attention in Kamphuis's homeland, and Dutch police work closely with the Norwegian. The police in other European countries are also involved in the case.

Visser also says that they have never heard Kamphuis mention Bodø as any planned destination. "He said that he was going to Svalbard to watch polar bears, so everyone was surprised when he suddenly changed the plans to Bodø just before he left. I thought maybe it was a stop on the way to Svalbard."

Visser found that his colleague was missing when he did not turn up for a work meeting. It was not like Kamphuis, he says. When he tried to track down Kamphuis, he found out he never traveled to Svalbard.

"Why cancel the trip to travel to, no offense meant, Bodø? It's not exactly the world's navel."

Visser says he has no reason to believe Kamphuis has suffered an accident. He is too experienced, he believes. Nor does he think the disappearance has any connection to his past as a WikiLeaks employee, saying he is not involved there anymore.

But he has made his own thoughts about what might have happened. He thinks something has scared him and that he is hiding.

"I think something has happened to him, either physically or mentally, which makes him want to stay hidden."

"He would have contacted us if he wanted to. He must be afraid, and dare not involve us," says Visser.

The police also work with the theory that Kamphuis may have staged his own disappearance. The reasons why people choose to disappear vary.

Mental illness, economics or relationship problems are common causes. Mostly men disappear.

Ancilla van der Leest, a close friend of Kamphuis, sees no obvious reason for his desire to disappear. Nevertheless, she does not want to rule out her friend's mental health.

"He was elated and happy before he left. He has good friends and a nice apartment in Amsterdam. His business is going well and he has a lot of job assignments. He had many plans for the fall."

NRK meets van der Leest at a cafe in Amsterdam. Since Arjen disappeared, she has worked day and night to get answers about the disappearance of their friend.

Most preferably she would have traveled to Norway, but she has a newborn baby to take care of.

Therefore, there was no one in the circle of friends who reacted when Arjen told about Norway's holiday trip. While he seldom took a vacation, he often traveled to places where he could enjoy nature.

Journalist Ilan Sluis works for The Netherlands's biggest daily newspaper, De Telegraaf. He does not think that Arjen has disappeared voluntarily.

"Let's say he thinks like an hacker. That he is kayaking, dropping his id papers as an experiment to see if he could get home without papers. But it has been six weeks. He would know that family and friends were worried and given a sign of life."

In recent weeks, he has worked closely on the disappearance case, and has written several reports.

Sluis is stopped by people on the street, who asks what he believes about the disappearance. Among other things, the intelligence organizations CIA or MI6 might be involved. The journalist has no good answers to what may have happened, but asks readers not to believe the wildest conspiracy theories.

Equally, the matter remains a mystery. When the kayak was found, Sluis was sure he had been victim of an accident. But when the phone contact appeared a few days later, the confusion was complete again.

"Given the security expert he is, his phone was very well secured. The chance that someone else could open the phone is small. I doesn't really make sense," according to Sluis.

Neither Ilan Sluis nor Ancilla van de Leest are impressed by the efforts of Norwegian police - especially in the start-up phase. They believe the police arrived late on the stage to start searching for Arjen.

"In the start-up phase, they were mostly concerned that he had not been formally reported missing. That was when he had been reported missing for several days already," says Van de Leest.

She believes that if the search had started faster, Arjen might have been found. Sluis fears that time is working against them and against a solution of the disappearance.

"Everything is standing still now. It has been a long time to find new pieces of the jigsaw puzzle. Both for the police and us in the media."

Ancilla van der Leest has not given up the hope that her friend is alive. But it has been six weeks and she acknowledges that she must be realistic.

"If he is no longer alive, it is still important that he is found. If he has been the victim of an accident, then it's tragic, but you can always say goodbye and have a funeral. In this case we have nothing. We have no answers."

Last edited:
Not

BBM
Not very helpful to start blaming norwegian police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members