Hailey Dunn: General Discussion thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember; was there ever a cause of death listed for Hailey? Or any other info gleaned after the autopsy report? Did we get a copy of the report?

IIRC I think the answer is no to everything! No results or COD. But my memory is not as good as it once was either!

Beautiful Hailey...she was the first case I followed and became interested in sleuthing. My heart still breaks for her sad life, I can still see her face when I think of her. I hope one day justice is served for this angel.
I wonder why she's never been featured on any "cold case" shows?!

Maybe we should all give it a shot sending it in to a few. I think there are those type on A&E and maybe ID Channel?

I wonder why she's never been featured on any "cold case" shows?!

Maybe we should all give it a shot sending it in to a few. I think there are those type on A&E and maybe ID Channel?

I sent her case in to Kelly Sigler on Cold Justice but never got a reply. It would be worth trying again. You never know.

I sent her case in to Kelly Sigler on Cold Justice but never got a reply. It would be worth trying again. You never know.
Funny, I just started watching a few episodes of that. They were reviewing a few of the cases from the past, and one of the victim's relatives said it was a real coincidence that that she found the show and wondered about it when LE on her case called her minutes later. She commented how great it was since they only take cases at the request of LE on the case.
Which department ended up with HD's case? It's just been too long for me. Snyder? I wonder if they would consider calling Cold Justice in?

Colorado City and the Texas Rangers have the case I think, but the sheriff's office in Scurry county should be involved since that is where she was found. Probably murdered in Mitchell County.

Colorado City and the Texas Rangers have the case I think, but the sheriff's office in Scurry county should be involved since that is where she was found. Probably murdered in Mitchell County.
should we call or email them suggesting Cold Justice?

Funny, I just started watching a few episodes of that. They were reviewing a few of the cases from the past, and one of the victim's relatives said it was a real coincidence that that she found the show and wondered about it when LE on her case called her minutes later. She commented how great it was since they only take cases at the request of LE on the case.
Which department ended up with HD's case? It's just been too long for me. Snyder? I wonder if they would consider calling Cold Justice in?

I'm pretty sure I didn't quote that right...I'm trying to reply to Cold Justice only taking cases law enforcement request....there is a case here they covered.. (the Dina Shoemake case)..its my understanding her daughter had to keep requesting their help, law enforcement didn't request. Of course it could just be hear say, or maybe there's a chance if we keep asking they would cover it. I would love to see them solve Haleys case!

I will disagree. I think the circumstantial evidence (lying about getting fired, coming back towards CCity after leaving work, lying about the route he took to Moms (which went right by where Hailey was found) Hailey's comments about him standing outside her door) all tell me who the person is with no doubt. Not to mention David trying to get in and all the doors were locked.

I think if Billie had not protected him so faithfully in the beginning, things would have been very different. LE tried to make her see the evidence but she refused. Billie has to live with that the rest of her life. After she opened her eyes and saw him for what he is, today she thinks he murdered Hailey also.

I am afraid justice in this case will never be found here on earth, but I firmly believe Karma is a **tch and SA will get his some day.....God knows what happened and who is lying and who is telling the truth. Justice will come eventually to the person who killed Hailey.

Ya, but he didn't lie about the route, they simply did not ask him which way he went, they just assumed it was the other more direct route. It is mind boggling that LE could be that incompetent, but that appears to be what happened.

Take the polygraphs for example, it is pretty clear from how they were described in the affidavits that they were NOT being conducted properly, and the consequence of that is that is it reinforced the bias of the investigators.

As far as being fired, that is what he told BD. What he told LE was apparently true, otherwise they would have charged him with obstruction. Lying to BD about being fired is understandable since she would probably have had a fit if he told her that he just quit. After all she was the primary bread winner and times were hard, so him just walking away from a paying job would have been guaranteed to get her POed. However, those lies happened BEFORE HD was officially missing.

We don't know what HD said about him being outside the door, we just have the GM's claims that she said that. Maybe she did not, or said something else that was misinterpreted or revised after HD disappeared in order to point fingers. Maybe HD just said it to throw a spanner into the relationship between SA and HD because she didn't want her mom to have a boyfriend. Who knows. It is hearsay and would never be admissible.

As for the doors being locked, maybe they were not. And if they were, so what? Locking doors is not an unusual thing to do when you are at home. The account we have in the affidavit is from CD, not DD. We don't know what DD told LE because they only reported what CD said. Again, hearsay. And they probably resorted to using CD in the affidavit instead of the direct witnesses (DD and his friend) because those people likely said something different that was not incriminating (otherwise they would have used the direct source and not the hearsay source).

If LE had any actual evidence they would have arrested SA or at the very least obtained additional search warrants. The fact is they had nothing, what SA told them turned out to be true and very likely it was corroborated by other people. That is why they were no longer able to get warrants for additional searches and had to resort to clutching straws with the extremely weak CP claims.

If you review the whole case history it seems pretty clear to me that it was not only SA who was loose with the truth, there are a number of other people who seem pretty dodgy to me and you would think that LE if they were being objective about it all would/should have been paying a lot more attention to them.

There was something else going on with HD, of that I am sure. We will probably never know what that is, because local LE appeared to have been resisting going in any direction other than SA. And based on various hints that have occurred over time I believe that the state and federal investigators were more open minded and inclined to take the investigation in other directions. But they did not have jurisdiction, the local sheriff did. This was the big high profile case of his career and it was going to go his way. I think if you dig deep enough you are probably going to find that HD's killer is going to get away because of a turf war between local and state/federal investigators stalled the case long enough for actual evidence for what really happened to fade or be lost.

Ya, but he didn't lie about the route, they simply did not ask him which way he went, they just assumed it was the other more direct route. It is mind boggling that LE could be that incompetent, but that appears to be what happened.

Take the polygraphs for example, it is pretty clear from how they were described in the affidavits that they were NOT being conducted properly, and the consequence of that is that is it reinforced the bias of the investigators.

As far as being fired, that is what he told BD. What he told LE was apparently true, otherwise they would have charged him with obstruction. Lying to BD about being fired is understandable since she would probably have had a fit if he told her that he just quit. After all she was the primary bread winner and times were hard, so him just walking away from a paying job would have been guaranteed to get her POed. However, those lies happened BEFORE HD was officially missing.

We don't know what HD said about him being outside the door, we just have the GM's claims that she said that. Maybe she did not, or said something else that was misinterpreted or revised after HD disappeared in order to point fingers. Maybe HD just said it to throw a spanner into the relationship between SA and HD because she didn't want her mom to have a boyfriend. Who knows. It is hearsay and would never be admissible.

As for the doors being locked, maybe they were not. And if they were, so what? Locking doors is not an unusual thing to do when you are at home. The account we have in the affidavit is from CD, not DD. We don't know what DD told LE because they only reported what CD said. Again, hearsay. And they probably resorted to using CD in the affidavit instead of the direct witnesses (DD and his friend) because those people likely said something different that was not incriminating (otherwise they would have used the direct source and not the hearsay source).

If LE had any actual evidence they would have arrested SA or at the very least obtained additional search warrants. The fact is they had nothing, what SA told them turned out to be true and very likely it was corroborated by other people. That is why they were no longer able to get warrants for additional searches and had to resort to clutching straws with the extremely weak CP claims.

If you review the whole case history it seems pretty clear to me that it was not only SA who was loose with the truth, there are a number of other people who seem pretty dodgy to me and you would think that LE if they were being objective about it all would/should have been paying a lot more attention to them.

There was something else going on with HD, of that I am sure. We will probably never know what that is, because local LE appeared to have been resisting going in any direction other than SA. And based on various hints that have occurred over time I believe that the state and federal investigators were more open minded and inclined to take the investigation in other directions. But they did not have jurisdiction, the local sheriff did. This was the big high profile case of his career and it was going to go his way. I think if you dig deep enough you are probably going to find that HD's killer is going to get away because of a turf war between local and state/federal investigators stalled the case long enough for actual evidence for what really happened to fade or be lost.

What do you think was "going on" with Hailey?

(snipped by me for space)
Quote above from Tugela

There was something else going on with HD, of that I am sure. We will probably never know what that is, because local LE appeared to have been resisting going in any direction other than SA. And based on various hints that have occurred over time I believe that the state and federal investigators were more open minded and inclined to take the investigation in other directions. But they did not have jurisdiction, the local sheriff did. This was the big high profile case of his career and it was going to go his way. I think if you dig deep enough you are probably going to find that HD's killer is going to get away because of a turf war between local and state/federal investigators stalled the case long enough for actual evidence for what really happened to fade or be lost.[/QUOTE]

BBM

I beg to differ with this statement. The Texas Rangers and the FBI have jurisdiction over a local sheriff's office and they can do anything they please here in Texas! The Texas Rangers don't get in turf wars when it comes to criminals in Texas. I have faith the killer of Hailey will eventually come to light. I have dug very deep here. Been here since day 1 almost. Hailey's case brought me to Websleuth's so it is special to me. I'm sure the state and federal investigator's have a pretty good idea who killed Hailey and I hope and pray they can eventually bring this sweet girl some justice!

(snipped by me for space)
Quote above from Tugela

BBM

I beg to differ with this statement. The Texas Rangers and the FBI have jurisdiction over a local sheriff's office and they can do anything they please here in Texas! The Texas Rangers don't get in turf wars when it comes to criminals in Texas. I have faith the killer of Hailey will eventually come to light. I have dug very deep here. Been here since day 1 almost. Hailey's case brought me to Websleuth's so it is special to me. I'm sure the state and federal investigator's have a pretty good idea who killed Hailey and I hope and pray they can eventually bring this sweet girl some justice![/QUOTE]

*** Stuff above is taken from the quote. Website quote feature is not working properly, lol ***

There is a relationship between various agencies depending on what crimes occur and where they occur. Someone has the role of principal investigator that all the others report to.

The local sheriffs office is still the principal investigator who heads up the investigation in local cases. Other agencies provide logistical and resource support, but the sheriff runs the investigation and the local DA prosecutes the case. The state agency has jurisdiction when a crime involves multiple jurisdictions or no particular jurisdiction because a individual sheriff can't investigate anything outside of his/her county. That would not be the case with HD as it originally stood. The Texas Rangers were providing support for the sheriff, but he was running the show. That is not to say that they did not have an opinion, and I think that was evidenced when Toombs had his press release months later about giving CD a polygraph. From his tone it was clearly obvious that Toombs did not want to do this, but had been pressured to do so. He was very defensive about it. And it is likely that pressure came from either the Texas Rangers or the FBI, who I think are not viewing this case in quite the same way as him. Remember, the FBI had HD listed as a runaway for about a year afterwards, so at the very least their perspective was different from the Sheriff.

Once HD's remains were found in a different county then it became a situation where it crossed county lines and consequently came under the Ranger's jurisdiction, since it was not clear exactly where all of the crimes involved had taken place. After that Toombs would no longer be the lead investigator and he would be providing support to the broader investigation, part of which covered his county.

The FBI investigates federal crimes only, which are usually more limited than state crimes. Local offices do provide support to local agencies when requested however, while they are looking to see if a federal offence is involved. Generally they defer to local authorities unless the crime spans state borders. In HD's case they would have been looking at a possible interstate abduction or transportation of a minor which would be chargeable under federal law.

Unsolved homicides on the South Plains
By Amber Stegall | November 28, 2018 at 12:13 PM CST - Updated December 7 at 10:41 AM
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - There are 11 unsolved homicides on the South Plains officials are still working to solve. Texas Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $3,000 to any person who provides information that leads to the arrest of the person/persons responsible for these crimes. To be eligible for the cash rewards, tipsters MUST call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477). All tips are anonymous. Tipsters will be provided a tip number instead of using a name.

Hailey Dunn - Texas Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $3,000 to any person who provides information that leads to the arrest of the person/persons responsible for this crime. To be eligible for the cash rewards, tipsters MUST call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477). All tips are anonymous. Tipsters will be provided a tip number instead of using a name.

Unsolved homicides on the South Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member