NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son of owner of limo in deadly New York crash taken into custody

ALBANY, N. Y. — The son of the owner of limousine company in the deadly crash that killed 20 people on Saturday was taken into custody Wednesday by New York State Police, his lawyer confirmed.

Nauman Hussain was taken into custody earlier Wednesday morning, his attorney Lee Kindlon confirmed to the USA TODAY Network's Albany Bureau.

Hussain ran the Saratoga County limousine company, Prestige Limo, owned by his father, Shahed Hussain...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1589835002

ALBANY, N. Y. — The son of the owner of limousine company in the deadly crash that killed 20 people on Saturday was taken into custody Wednesday by New York State Police, his lawyer confirmed.

Nauman Hussain was taken into custody earlier Wednesday morning, his attorney Lee Kindlon confirmed to the USA TODAY Network's Albany Bureau.​

Police arrest limo company operator involved in fatal crash

Nauman Hussain, the operator of Prestige Limousine, was taken into custody following a traffic stop Wednesday, New York State Police said.

The operator of the limousine company whose vehicle was involved in the fatal accident that killed 20 people Saturday in upstate New York has been arrested, state police told NBC News.

Nauman Hussain, the operator of Prestige Limousine, was taken into custody following a controlled traffic stop on Wednesday, New York State Police said...

Limousine company operator arrested after deadly crash

Albany, N.Y. – The operator of a limousine company involved in a crash that killed 20 people was arrested Wednesday, state police said. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the charges were related to the deadly wreck.

Nauman Hussain was taken into custody following a traffic stop on a highway near Albany, the New York State Police said in a brief news release.

No further details were released on the charges. A phone call to Hussain’s lawyer was not immediately returned.

Hussain was the day-to-day operator of Prestige Limousine, and the son of the company’s owner...

True, but with parents only in their early 30's the amount of SS benefit accrued will be small.

I looked this up, a subject I never discussed or read about.

May 07, 2018

Qualifying Children
Survivors benefits are available to any children for whom the deceased worker provided at least half of the child’s support. This includes children who did not live with the deceased parent, stepchildren, grandchildren and adopted children.

Eligibility Requirements
The deceased parent must have earned at least six credits within three years of his death for his child to receive monthly survivors benefits. The child must be under age 18, or up to age 19 and still attending high school. Benefits end once the child reaches the maximum age unless she is disabled. In these cases, benefits continue for the duration of the child’s life, or until the SSA determines the child is no longer disabled.

Monthly Benefits
Children of deceased workers receive 75 percent of their parent’s projected monthly retirement payment. If there is more than one eligible child in the household, each child will receive benefits up to a household maximum of 180 percent of the deceased worker’s projected benefit amount.

Lump-Sum Benefit
A one-time payment of $255 is available to a worker’s child if the deceased was a single parent. The SSA only provides one lump-sum payment for the entire household, even if there are additional eligible children.

The Social Security Administration limits the amount a family can get on a worker’s record to between 150 and 180 percent of his entitled benefit. If the total family benefits would exceed the limit, each person’s benefit payments are reduced proportionately.

Social Security Benefits for Children of Deceased Parents

Last edited:
Upthread someone posted the pre-drive vehicle checklist that is done by someone who is properly licensed. If he would have been properly licensed, he would have known about the checklist and those people would not be dead. IMO, there is dual responsibility.

He could have gotten the proper license by simply going to the DMV, surrendering his current license, paying for a Class E license and taking a vision test. They would have sent him a new license with an E on it. There is no special knowledge requirements for a Class E license. It's simply an indication that the license holder has paid the fee for it. So that wouldn't have really changed anything.

Get a license to drive a taxi or livery vehicle

He could have gotten the proper license by simply going to the DMV, surrendering his current license, paying for a Class E license and taking a vision test. They would have sent him a new license with an E on it. There is no special knowledge requirements for a Class E license. It's simply an indication that the license holder has paid the fee for it. So that wouldn't have really changed anything.

Incorrect. He needed a CDL.

Cuomo: Limo in Schoharie crash failed inspection; driver not properly licensed

Please don't post misinformation. That article says nothing about him needing a CDL. I gave you the link for the license he should have had.

From my link

State Police Troop G commander Maj. Robert Patenaude confirmed the driver didn't not have the proper commercial driver's license to be transporting so many people, and that the vehicle had failed inspection.

Another link

View Document - New York Codes, Rules and Regulations

Manual with info

New York State Commercial Driver's Manual

A Class E license is only for vehicles with fewer than 14 passengers.

"E For-hire: Taxi, Livery, Limo Age 18 or older The same type of vehicles as Class D, plus for-hire vehicles that carry 14 passengers or less. F, G, R, W"
New York State driver license types and classes

I thought he HAD a CDL because he was a truck driver? I thought it was a bus license to transport 12+ people or something that he needed.

I am so confused.

He couldn't drive that many passengers. He even got a ticket for not being properly licensed

The Latest: Limo company operator charged with homicide

driver of a limousine involved in a deadly crash in upstate New York was stopped in August by a state trooper in the same vehicle and told he lacked the proper license to drive the limousine.

State police said Wednesday that a 2001 Ford Excursion limousine operated by Prestige Limousine and driven by Scott Lisinicchia was stopped by troopers on Aug. 25 in Saratoga Springs.

Lisinicchia was among 20 people killed in the same limousine on Saturday after it ran through a stop sign in rural Schoharie.

Police say the trooper issued violations, advised that Lisinicchia could not operate the vehicle and "took steps to ensure that the vehicle was taken off the road."

The incident was originally reported by the Times Union of Albany.

I thought he HAD a CDL because he was a truck driver? I thought it was a bus license to transport 12+ people or something that he needed.

I am so confused.

My understanding is that he did have a CDL for a truck. He did not have a Class E license for driving a limousine. I do not believe he would have needed a bus license. Though with the number of passengers he had, it could technically pushed him into that category. It's a bit of a grey area, that he might not have even understood himself.

From my link

State Police Troop G commander Maj. Robert Patenaude confirmed the driver didn't not have the proper commercial driver's license to be transporting so many people, and that the vehicle had failed inspection.
snipped, bolded by me
No wonder there's so much confusion about this . . . even the writer of the article couldn't decide.

A Class E license is only for vehicles with fewer than 14 passengers.

"E For-hire: Taxi, Livery, Limo Age 18 or older The same type of vehicles as Class D, plus for-hire vehicles that carry 14 passengers or less. F, G, R, W"
New York State driver license types and classes

The next step up would be a Class B license. But that is for vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs, or more. The limo would have been below that. So what he was driving is in a grey area. It's not Class B, but it's not Class E either.

And if your brakes are failing or gone, you'll know before you get to the intersection, and should be able to better try to make things as safe as possible.

I would have thought a professional driver would have had the skill and experience to use engine braking if his brakes were failing, and even if they were not. I've driven very similar roads in the Auvergne in central France where signs specifically instruct drivers to use engine braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48