Found Deceased OR - David Yaghmourian, 30, injured AZ hiker, Timberline Trail, Mt. Hood, Clackamas Co., 8 Oct 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Search underway for missing hiker on Mt. Hood; call 503-655-8211 if seen | Clackamas County

The Clackamas County Sheriff`s Office is currently consulting a Search and Rescue (SAR) operation on Mt. Hood for missing/injured hiker David Yaghmourian.
upload_2018-10-11_2-26-6.jpeg
Mr. Yaghmourian, 30, of Phoenix, AZ, was reportedly hiking the Timberline Trail with a companion and sustained an injury to his leg. On the last day of the hike (Monday, October 8, 2018), Mr. Yaghmourian stopped to rest while they were returning to Timberline Lodge. His companion continued on to the lodge and waited for him there.

Mr. Yaghmourian was last seen at the eastern junction of the Timberline Trail at the Pacific Crest Trail. He is described as follows:
  • 30 years old
  • Black hair, brown eyes
  • 5'10" tall, 150 lbs.
  • Last seen wearing a tan baseball cap, black Columbia jacket and tan pants, with a large black backpack with red trim and what appeared to be a yellow towel on top.
A photo of Yaghmourian is attached.

Mr. Yaghmourian is currently entered as a missing/endangered person by the Clackamas County Sheriff`s Office. If you see Mr. Yaghmourian, or have contact with him, please contact the Clackamas County Sheriff`s Office Non-Emergency Line at 503-655-8211.

You can also contact us using the Sheriff’s Office Tip Line -- by phone at 503-723-4949or by using the online email form at Tip Sheet. Please reference CCSO Case # 18-027619.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Office

Search continues for injured hiker on Mt. Hood

The Phoenix, Arizona man was on a multi-day trip around the mountain. His hiking partner Hayden Krischbaum said they were on the last mile or so of the 40-mile journey when they separated.

“You could see the lodge from where we stopped,” Kirschbaum said.

He added Yaghmourian wanted to take a few more breaks and they agreed to meet at Timberline Lodge.

“He was in good spirits, he just wanted some extra breaks because I wasn’t feeling great and I was low on water I just wanted to get back and just sit down in the lodge,” Kirschbaum said.

Yaghmourian never showed up. Kirschbaum said he searched the lodge thinking they missed each other but could not find him.

“When I went back up the trail and didn’t see him at the spot I left him, that’s when I got concerned, came back and called it in,” Kirschbaum said.
Search continues on Mt. Hood for missing Arizona hiker

Missing Phoenix hiker's parents, rescue crews hopeful to find him okay
“I'm feeling very optimistic the person we are looking for is in a tent, in a sleeping bag, and in good shape,” said Erik Broms, Rescue leader for Portland Mountain Rescue.

Yaghmourian's parents say he’s an avid hiker. He had several supplies, like a tent, a water filtration device and even a sleeping bag that withstands weather as cold as 30 degrees.

The ASU student graduated from Mountain Ridge High school. His parents say he’s also a research analyst assistant at ASU’s Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, and he is constantly hiking Valley mountains.

“He’s very bright, very analytical, and so we’re thinking that he will figure out a way to get out of whatever situation he’s in,” said Yaghmourian's mom, Mary Ellen.

The Phoenix, Arizona man was on a multi-day trip around the mountain. His hiking partner Hayden Krischbaum said they were on the last mile or so of the 40-mile journey when they separated.

“You could see the lodge from where we stopped,” Kirschbaum said.

He added Yaghmourian wanted to take a few more breaks and they agreed to meet at Timberline Lodge.

“He was in good spirits, he just wanted some extra breaks because I wasn’t feeling great and I was low on water I just wanted to get back and just sit down in the lodge,” Kirschbaum said.

Yaghmourian never showed up. Kirschbaum said he searched the lodge thinking they missed each other but could not find him.

“When I went back up the trail and didn’t see him at the spot I left him, that’s when I got concerned, came back and called it in,” Kirschbaum said.
Search continues on Mt. Hood for missing Arizona hiker

My hinky meter just rose more. See the lodge in the distance or just up the trail? Went inside and didn’t ensure his friend made it back... Just my opinion but I don’t buy it. Now, I’m not saying the friend did something nefarious; I just don’t think he’s telling the whole truth. I think it’s more likely they separated long before they got close to the lodge. MOO

ETA: I just read the whole article. There’s no way I would ever leave an injured friend a MILE behind me. I don’t care if you could see the lodge in the distance or not. Still not buying his story.

My hinky meter just rose more. See the lodge in the distance or just up the trail? Went inside and didn’t ensure his friend made it back... Just my opinion but I don’t buy it. Now, I’m not saying the friend did something nefarious; I just don’t think he’s telling the whole truth. I think it’s more likely they separated long before they got close to the lodge. MOO

ETA: I just read the whole article. There’s no way I would ever leave an injured friend a MILE behind me. I don’t care if you could see the lodge in the distance or not. Still not buying his story.
Solidarity!

Yaghmourian took a break because he hurt his leg after the two friends had been hiking for a few days, according to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office. The friend went on to Timberline Lodge and contacted authorities after seeing no sign of Yaghmourian.

Yaghmourian was carrying a tent, food and a water purifier among his supplies and apparently has clothes to protect him from the elements, Gumbele said.

"We're trying to find him as quickly as we can, but chances of survival are higher in these cases if you are traveling with adequate equipment," he said.

Yaghmourian and his friend parted ways about a mile away from Timberline Lodge, Gumbele said. Crews initially searched where he was last seen but have since expanded the search to areas including near Ramona Falls and Oregon 26.
Search continues for missing Arizona hiker lost on Mount Hood

upload_2018-10-10_22-44-57.jpeg

Mike Benner's Tweet - "The third day of searching for missing hiker David Yaghmourian has wrapped up. No trace of him. Search continues Thursday morning. A plane with flir capabilities will fly over the search area looking for clues. " on Trendsmap

Man's body found on Mount Hood where Phoenix hiker has been missing
A body was found on Mount Hood Thursday morning but authorities still have to retrieve it to identify if it is a missing hiker from Arizona.

David Yaghmourian, 30, has been missing since Monday. He was last seen at the eastern junction of the Timberline Trail at the Pacific Crest Trail, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office said.

A climber found the body at about 8,300-foot elevation, which the sheriff's office said is about 3,000 feet higher than where their search area was.

assuming it's David, there (of course) has to be more to this story. He had adequate supplies and was experienced. Other health issues? Depression, etc?... tragic nonetheless. The pain his friends and family are/will endure... heartbreaking.

Well said.

A hiker with enough out door experience to almost successfully complete a 40 mile multi day hiking trip gets lost making the last push to a destination that is in sight? That alone does not seem very likely unless the area was dangerous. And if the terrain is dangerous, why would his hiking companion leave him without a true emergency (just thirsty and tired)?

*advertiser censored* you stated, this does not indicate that the companion is guilty of a crime. I agree with you. It might indicate that the pair separated earlier and the companion does not want to admit that he continued on without him.

http://ktar.com/story/2254427/body-found-on-oregon-mountain-amid-search-for-missing-arizona-hiker/
Sgt. Sean Collinson of the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office says a climber happened to spot the body Thursday morning at about 8,300 feet (2.6 kilometers) on the mountain.

Authorities haven’t confirmed whether the body belongs to 30-year-old Phoenix resident David Yaghmourian, who was reported missing on Monday.

Collinson says the person appeared hypothermic and he may have fallen.

Climber discovers man's body on Mount Hood during search for missing hiker

I found this interesting... from the article...

“The sheriff’s office says it appears the man died from hypothermia, but may have also fallen 30 feet. They say the man had been trying to set up a tent before he died.”

The article was just updated. The body was identified as David. ☹️

He was outside the search area. I don’t buy his friend’s story at all. I still believe they parted much further back than he claimed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back