Found Deceased OR - David Yaghmourian, 30, injured AZ hiker, Timberline Trail, Mt. Hood, Clackamas Co., 8 Oct 2018

I understand that this was probably a terrible accident born of fatal misjudgments. That said, I am disturbed by what seems to be a trend of people going into areas with (lack of or few) supplies, undeveloped skills, and lack of savvy/understanding of how wild these areas are. In this case, his friend was not seeking help but agreeing to meet him later as he was slowing him down. The idea of leaving a person who is hurt with no plan for coming back with help just doesn't make sense. How can the seriousness about the dire consequences of hiking alone be communicated and understood? I am just so surprised.
Timberline Lodge is luxury accommodation, I doubt this hiker could have afforded to stay there. We don't know what the hikers plans were once they got there. Did they have a vehicle? Did he have a plan to return to Arizona? What was going on with him, personally, and in his relationship with the friend?

I remember going to a mountain hut in Western Canada 15 years ago, where there was a 30ish guy basically crawling around. He said he had injured himself climbing, and after spending some time camping on a ledge had made it as far as the hut, with help.

His main concern was he had no money. He didn't want to have to pay to be rescued by helicopter. He didn't want to pay for cabs and all the other special measures he would have to take to cope with his lameness in the world below. I now think he probably didn't have a home to go home to. He just hoped if he hung around long enough, begging food from other climbers, he would heal. I don't know what happened to him, it was a long, challenging hike back down to the parking lot.

I also remember seeing a guy on a backpack trip, who had just been abandoned by his 'friends' because he couldn't keep up. I think now he was just not acclimated to the height and probably had heat issues. I was with a group that was very intent on moving forward and didn't want to stop. I connected him with some people who were going back down and asked them to please take him with them and ensure he was okay.

Anyway, the dynamics of people out there can be very weird. People are impatient and don't want their trip spoiled by someone in trouble (including themselves). People in trouble often don't want to ask for help, they feel it makes them look weak. They just hope everything will somehow work out. But the body can only be pushed so far by the macho brain.

‘It could have happened to me’: Woman says she got lost at same spot as Arizona hiker
A Portland woman says she took the same trail on Mount Hood and experienced the same confusion as a man who got lost and died there. “It just broke my heart when I heard about it,” said Carli Wright. “It could have happened to me.”

Like Yaghmourian, Wright began to hike back up the mountain, not down. Before she knew it, she'd ascended three miles in the wrong direction.

“The whole trail is up and down, up and down, up and down, so it's hard to tell at what point where you're supposed to go down again,” said Wright.

Mother wants better trail signage in wake of hiker's death on Mount Hood
David was at the end of a four-day hike on Mount Hood when the fog rolled in.

"He died on Monday night in the fog,” Mary Ellen Yaghmourian. “They suspect no foul play at all. Tragic accident, it was the weather.”

“I would like it very much if they would improve their signs, so it doesn't happen to another hiker,” Mary Ellen Yaghmourian said.

An Oregon medical examiner has determined the death of Arizona man whose body was found on Mt. Hood earlier this month was accidental.

He died from a combination of environmental exposure and altitude-induced cerebral and pulmonary edema.

Investigators believe Yaghmourian may have missed a turn and headed much higher up the mountain.

Cause of death determined for Arizona man found on Mt. Hood

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname