Identified! PA - Export, BlkFem UP13512, 10-14, shallow grave in landfill, Sep'67 Teala Thompson

Cold case: State police in Westmoreland County send out new call for info in girl's 1967 murder

vlcsnap-2018-10-11-06h08m56s830-1539252688.png

Oct 11 2018
"Cold case: State police in Westmoreland County send out new call for info in girl's 1967 murder
Teala Thompson, 13, was found dead more than a half-century ago"
"On Thursday morning, state police sent out a news release reminding the public that the investigation remains open. Anyone with information is asked to call State Police Kiski Valley at 724-697-5780."

Another photo of Teala from a newspaper article.

Attachments

• 8053E3B1-AF44-44DC-ADD2-EA445CA7A5D7.jpeg
    8053E3B1-AF44-44DC-ADD2-EA445CA7A5D7.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 13
I think this case could become "Red hot" if there is more investigation. As of now, the man who Teala worked for has yet to be identified and located. I believe that man is porbably deceased due to this happening 51 years ago.

I think this case could become "Red hot" if there is more investigation. As of now, the man who Teala worked for has yet to be identified and located. I believe that man is porbably deceased due to this happening 51 years ago.
Homicide Investigation Begins after Girl ID'd in 1967 Pauper's Grave
"The family told The Associated Press they believe a man at a dry cleaner’s establishment for whom Teala Thompson worked could be responsible for her death. But they said that person is likely already dead.

“Although we may never know all the details of exactly what happened, we know this is her and we now have closure,” said Mary Thompson, the victim’s sister, who was 4 years old at the time of the disappearance.

The girl likely died from a blow to the head, forensic experts found."

Do they know the name of the man who Teala worked for? The man could be Teala's killer.

From the article: "After the identification was made, it was revealed that investigators immediately suspected the remains could be Thompson’s. The girl’s mother had actually been contacted in 1967 to view the discovered body – but the mother refused to do so."

Was there no one else that they could have asked to identify the child?! Why was this murdered child's case simply dropped?

This case could have been solved in 1967. :/

Homicide Investigation Begins after Girl ID'd in 1967 Pauper's Grave

Last edited:
This is from the Pittsburgh Press, September 22, 1983. The entire content had to do with Teala's mother being let out of jail to make funeral arrangements for one son. Two other sons, also in jail, were allowed out to visit the funeral home to pay last respects. The dead son had shot and killed a Pgh detective during a drug bust gone horribly wrong. The detective fired back before he died and killed the brother.

Teala is mentioned towards the end of the article:

Attachments

• Thompson, Teala 1983 article.JPG
    Thompson, Teala 1983 article.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
I see no need to try to find the name of the dry cleaning business owner. That was most likely a bold faced lie. I simply cannot fathom why there wasn't an investigation into this child's murder. However, I'm glad to see that there is one now.

<modsnip - quoted post has been removed>
<modsnip - reference to quoted post> She likely knew that the girl found that day was Teala. Maybe she didn't identify the body because she was in denial. She only told her other daughter that Teala had been murdered many, many years later, at which point she had likely come to terms with it. LE should have found someone else to identify her instead of giving up. My guess would be... well, it was 1967, racism was still a huge problem, in institutions such as law enforcement and amongst some of the general public. I hate to say it, but once her mother refused to identify her, they probably gave up pretty quickly.

RIP Teala. Proving anything for sure is going to be nigh impossible at this stage, but we'll never stop hoping for justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post has been removed>

Teala was reported missing. Article from Pittsburgh Press 10/3/1967.

Attachments

• Teala Thompson article.jpg
    Teala Thompson article.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 20
Is her mother still alive? I wonder what family she has around that remembers anything from back then...smells like a great podcast story to me!

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Teala was the eldest child. I don't have ages for all 10 children but for the 3 brothers involved in the drug sting ... at the time Teala went missing, Anthony was 6, Chan was 7 and Orlando (who would die in the shootout) was 3.

Teala was the eldest child. I don't have ages for all 10 children but for the 3 brothers involved in the drug sting ... at the time Teala went missing, Anthony was 6, Chan was 7 and Orlando (who would die in the shootout) was 3.

Well, that rules out the brothers!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280
Back