AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post at WebSleuths in many years . . . Been following this case today and I’m leaning towards a murder/suicide scenario. Wisconsin LE is not forthcoming with information, and locals don’t tend to leak information beyond local small talk, certainly never online. Do we know for certain if a gun was found on the scene? A neighbor heard two shots which would support a murder / suicide. The call could have been from the murder victim who knew things were taking a bad turn . . . If home, Jayme may have been in her bedroom and left in a hurry. Messaging today has been more about finding her vs claiming she’s been abducted. Being in danger could relate to a medical condition, a state of shock, fear of hypothermia if she’s outside, etc . . . .

Hello :)
I'm brand new, but I couldn't resist.
I found <modsnipped- unnecessary comment> on the parents... The dad was divorced in 1998 and the mom (Denise) had some sort of settlement with a bank in 2011. I hope the links work...

2011CV000231 05-02-2011 Barron Closed <modsnip - full names>
1998FA000083 12-11-1998 Barron Closed <modsnip - full names>
Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Last edited by a moderator:
I think given the specific situation here: both parents were killed and the child was removed from the house in the middle of the night, they are comfortable sending an alert so if anyone sees her with anyone they will immediately call LE.

But I too thought there must be a car. It looks like most jurisdictions read the recommendation that "sufficient information be known about the abduction" to mean description of the car and perpetrator. Here they may think the last known location and description of the child is enough given the immediacy of the imminent danger. I.e. this person has already killed two adults, it is very likely the person would kill again - either the abducted child or someone that comes in contact with them.

I’d bet big bucks that Barron County received guidance from NCMEC saying to go ahead... bringing my original (not edited post) back to relevance. Full circle!

I think given the specific situation here: both parents were killed and the child was removed from the house in the middle of the night, they are comfortable sending an alert so if anyone sees her with anyone they will immediately call LE.

But I too thought there must be a car. It looks like most jurisdictions read the recommendation that "sufficient information be known about the abduction" to mean description of the car and perpetrator. Here they may think the last known location and description of the child is enough given the immediacy of the imminent danger. I.e. this person has already killed two adults, it is very likely the person would kill again - either the abducted child or someone that comes in contact with them.

Also, sorry to quote myself, the DOJ guidelines stress that the use of AMBER alerts should be limited to avoid weakening the system. I think given the rare and incredibly horrific circumstances the FBI and local LE would agree there's no risk of weakening the system with an alert like this. If they sent out an AMBER alert for every 17 year old who missed curfew, everyone would ignore them. But this seems like a particularly serious and gruesome case.

This may be a dumb question but what sort of evidence would lead LE to be so certain Jayme was abducted and is in danger, as they have said?
If LE comes upon the scene and finds a male & female dead from gun shot wounds and sees evidence of a female teen living there, how did they know she wasn't just staying with a friend that night? I'm not questioning the validity of their finding, I'm genuinely wondering what sort of evidence made them certain that she was abducted and in danger so quickly after responding after the 911 call.

Maybe something heard on the 911 call, something found on her phone or something one of her friends shared? Maybe someone was bothering her or she was chatting with strangers online and her friends shared that? Or maybe there was evidence at the scene that she did not leave willingly.

Some tweets from Fox 9's Paul Blume:

"Sheriff clarifies that this morning's 911 call came from house. Operators heard noises in background, but no one was specifically talking to dispatchers. Investigators trying to clean up audio to understand what was happening. FBI called in to assist in search for Jayme Closs."
Paul Blume on Twitter

"Neighbors report hearing 2 large caliber gunshots early this AM. Describe Closs family as "extremely quiet, almost reclusive." Now just praying 13yo Jayme Closs turns up safe. Still no word on her whereabouts more than 12 hours after the shooting at family home on Hwy 8, Barron"
Paul Blume on Twitter

"It's interesting. The Barron Co Sheriff didn't think he could issue an Amber Alert today without a vehicle or suspect description. I just spoke to him a few minutes ago. His investigators working with FBI in desperate search for 13yo Jayme Closs."
Paul Blume on Twitter

My first post at WebSleuths in many years . . . Been following this case today and I’m leaning towards a murder/suicide scenario. Wisconsin LE is not forthcoming with information, and locals don’t tend to leak information beyond local small talk, certainly never online. Do we know for certain if a gun was found on the scene? A neighbor heard two shots which would support a murder / suicide. The call could have been from the murder victim who knew things were taking a bad turn . . . If home, Jayme may have been in her bedroom and left in a hurry. Messaging today has been more about finding her vs claiming she’s been abducted. Being in danger could relate to a medical condition, a state of shock, fear of hypothermia if she’s outside, etc . . . .

In one of the posts above it was stated that no weapon was found inside.

Hello :)
I'm brand new, but I couldn't resist.
I found <modsnipped- unnecessary comment> on the parents The dad was divorced in 1998 and the mom (Denise) had some sort of settlement with a bank in 2011. I hope the links work...

2011CV000231 05-02-2011 Barron Closed <modsnip - full names>

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

<modsnip - referenced portion of quoted post snipped>. It appears the mom settled her financial issues years ago. Unless I’m missing something and there are allegations of violence or similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the house where it happened, it's kinda isolated so i'm not surprised if no one saw or heard anything.
Google Maps
Hopefully they find her alive and ok.

A neighbor heard two gunshots, the second one was louder.
I was thinking if it was chilly (& the shots were heard at 1am ?), people have their windows closed at night.
So what kind of gun would be heard at another house ?
12 gauge is pretty loud-- or like a .357 or .44 Magnum ?

This may be a dumb question but what sort of evidence would lead LE to be so certain Jayme was abducted and is in danger, as they have said?
If LE comes upon the scene and finds a male & female dead from gun shot wounds and sees evidence of a female teen living there, how did they know she wasn't just staying with a friend that night? I'm not questioning the validity of their finding, I'm genuinely wondering what sort of evidence made them certain that she was abducted and in danger so quickly after responding after the 911 call.

Excellent point, FlamingoLady !
Good sleuthing.
Girls sleep over with friends quite a bit at that age..... I never thought of that. Wonder if they already have a poi in mind ?
Saying this respectfully... did the parents have any enemies ?
Sounds like they led a normal life with a fairly conflict-free occupation.

I don’t consider it “juice” that someone (who is now deceased) was divorced 20 years ago. It appears the mom settled her financial issues years ago. Unless I’m missing something and there are allegations of violence or similar.

I meant Juice as in more detailed information that can be used for further sleuthing... Maybe I'm not using appropriate expressions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searching4Answers2