AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Totally agree. For all we know and honestly what seems more accurate based on what we know of Jayme so far, she could have just been immature for her age in terms of having responsibilities and her parents weren't confident she could take care of herself alone, or it was better for them to have someone home with her to drive her to activities. It could be nothing more than mom and dad just weren't comfortable leaving her alone yet, she's only 13. If parents worked all the time, maybe they simply just didn't want Jayme to spend so much time alone.
Yes, I always say my 14 year old needs more supervision than she did at 11! More ways to get in trouble than a few years ago. I have left her alone for a few hours at home but would not do it on a regular basis. She's so forgetful I would be afraid she would leave the stove on and burn the house down! Also we have a wood burning stove and I would never leave her to be in charge of keeping the fire going. As someone said, Jamye had dance lessons and would have needed a ride there and back. Maybe her parents had different shifts and one slept during the day. Or maybe both got home late at night. It doesn't seem unusual that they would want an adult to supervise. Jmo

One thing I've been thinking about a lot is that the neighbors said they were woken up by the gunshots and looked at their clock - 12:30 AM. Yet the 911 call didn't come in to the sheriff until 12:58 AM . Given that the call seemed to indicate a disturbance/commotion, it seems like the perp (perps) was still there which means they were in the home for at least 30 minutes. While the houses aren't super close together, JS and TS's house wasn't terribly far away either. The Closs house was not isolated. That means whoever made those shots was confident enough that the neighbors wouldn't hear and call 911. They correctly banked on neighbors thinking it was just someone hunting or scaring a bear away. IMO this is particular and significant.

RBBM

Mesquite, do you have a source for this? I have actually been looking for information that they were woken up by the gunshots but all I've heard is that they heard one, then the second one which was louder, and the husband said, (sic) that's a big gun. (paraphrasing here)

I'm not challenging you, I'm just wondering if you could provide the source of your information that they were woken up. It's an important detail, IMO, because their observations are more reliable (IMO!) if they were already awake.

Thanks!

In my OOP...
Barron is small town USA (I live near here) crime does happen but this is well beyond our normal drug offenses and breakins. Unless there was drugs related or other gang affiliations it would not be very likely their house was randomly chosen for a break in gone bad. Both parents were employed an I assume good standing. People who are gainfully employed and showing up for work are most likely not involved in something nefarious enough to bring about this crime activity. People in town would be talking if this were a drug house. Users spread that word pretty quickly. Because if the above, I begin to think how this could be related to Jayme. I am only left with a feeling that she was involved either in person or online with someone her parents didn’t approve of. Because of this being during the night I think she was attempting to secretly leave with this person. Her parents heard her and an argument ensued. Not sure she intended for any of this to happen as I feel like she is quite naive and possibly didn’t know how dangerous this individual was/is. She either went willingly because she is naive enough to believe she is in love or atthis point she is so scared of what just occurred she feels she has no other choice. Again, IMOO

this is along the lines I'm thinking notice the bolded, Jayme is still a victim here she's 13 if this is what happened she had no way of knowing what she was getting manipulated into and she is still massively in danger.

Autopsy results of dead couple coming soon; search for missing teen continues

Jayme attended a Cameron School but transferred to Riverview Middle School in Barron because her family caretaker moved to that area, said Fitzgerald. She is not considered a suspect in her parents’ deaths.

Excuse me for bringing this article back up again, but this quote is really really bothering me. I had no clue she had a caretaker. I said yesterday I got a vibe that a female was involved, and this is really niggling at my brain. They ruled her out, so I will have to believe that there is a reason why, a proven alibi or such, but wow.

Searching are done all the time for cases where there’s a missing child. Searches are not only to find someone who is presumed dead.
jmo
Yes, children that have wandered off or have been abducted, likely for sexual purposes. That makes sense because in most cases the child or the body of the child is nearby. Jayme left in a vehicle, she could have been close to a hundred miles away before anyone realized she was even gone. And again, I believe that she went willingly with the person she was with, so she wasn't in imminent danger.

RBBM

Mesquite, do you have a source for this? I have actually been looking for information that they were woken up by the gunshots but all I've heard is that they heard one, then the second one which was louder, and the husband said, (sic) that's a big gun. (paraphrasing here)

I'm not challenging you, I'm just wondering if you could provide the source of your information that they were woken up. It's an important detail, IMO, because their observations are more reliable (IMO!) if they were already awake.

Thanks!
this is the first i was able to find, i know other articles have mentioned it as well. "Tom and Joan Smrekar woke up early Monday to the sound of two gunshots, seconds apart. Joan Smrekar looked at the clock by her bed. It was 12:31 a.m."

'It is right next door': Wisconsin community in shock over couple's slaying in early morning hours

Is it just me or did you guys find LE’s answer re: if she had a boyfriend somewhat “evasive” (Going by transcriptions)

Can someone please bump the PC link? Tia.

—-

So they can not say for certain that this is an abduction.

Whatever the case she is 13.

Indeed. I've seen missing child cases where LE will literally go door-to-door making inquiries. And, other than the sheriff's aforementioned "drone & infrared" searches, it appears no one has been in the surrounding woods, beating the brush, so to speak. I think LE know much more than they're letting on, and are keeping their cards close to their chest for a reason...
They have spoken with neighbors. They searched the neighbors home inside and out, but there aren't many neighbors around to do a neighborhood canvass. They did search the woods, and they've used dogs, drones and infrared.
Street view of the home: Google Maps

Does anyone remember a case where a perp wanted to kidnap and hold their victim for a long time (think of Jaycee) but didn’t just snatch them off the street? The whole killing the parents thing is throwing me off. That brings emotion and a reason into the mix.

Absolutely!!!! Shasta Groene and her brother....middle of night....Joseph Duncan went in with night vision goggles, killed everyone else in the house and kidnapped both children.

In my six decades, each day I hear of something unimaginable. That's why you can't rationlize about these cases. You have to get into the mind of these monsters by thinking outside the box. MOO

Still trying to figure out the care giver for a teenager old enough to legally babysit others. Even switched schools due to the care giver's location.

Did Jayme's parents regularly work the same or separate shifts? Were those revolving shifts/days or set and always the same?

Was her having a care giver at 13 strictly due to needing rides to/from track, dance and school?

Were the parents overly cautious with needing a babysitter for their teenager or did they have (a) specific reason(s) or concerns with wanting an adult always watching after Jayme?
But when did this school change take place and how old was she then? If it happened just two years ago, then she was barely 11 and would have needed a caretaker more than she does now. She JUST turned 13.

Agreed, i think all of these are possibilities and I was considering #2. the phone call is dubious since it was muffled and only 'help' was heard. It's possible that it was just J and/or D in the house and they were crawling around, knocking furniture over which would make it seem like a disturbance or commotion to LE. I'm not sure they have said, or if they even know, if it's just once voice on the call or if possibly multiple can be heard. Given that there are 150 people on this case from different agencies, hopefully they'll be able to use technology to make the call clearer.
At 12:53 a.m., dispatchers received a 911 call from a home in Barron. There was only background noise on the other end of the line. Police arrived at the scene and found two adults dead inside the home. Their daughter, Jayme, was missing.
Sheriff: No credible information from Florida tip in missing girl case

Fitzgerald said the 911 call came from the home, but no one was specifically talking to the dispatchers. Investigators are trying to enhance the audio for clues.
AMBER Alert: Jayme Closs, 13, missing after parents shot dead in Barron, Wis.

“We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call. No one interacted with our dispatchers, so it was just kind of an open line where we could hear different things in the background.”
13-Year-Old Girl Missing After Her Parents Were Found Dead At Home

'It is right next door': Wisconsin community in shock over couple's slaying in early morning hours

Tom and Joan Smrekar woke up early Monday to the sound of two gunshots, seconds apart. Joan Smrekar looked at the clock by her bed. It was 12:31 a.m.

“Those two shots were so loud,” Tom Smrekar said Tuesday.
Interesting. Police stated that the 911 call at almost 1:00 was unanswered but they heard commotion. That would have had to have been between Jayme and the assailant. Why was he(she) still in the house 30 minutes after the gunshots?

sorry if this was mentioned already, but do we know exactly what J and D did at Jennie-O? i ultimately don't think their jobs have any bearing on the situation but i'm just in case, i'm interested to have that piece of information

I think I read her dad was in management but could be wrong.

Last edited:
Autopsy results of dead couple coming soon; search for missing teen continues

Jayme attended a Cameron School but transferred to Riverview Middle School in Barron because her family caretaker moved to that area, said Fitzgerald. She is not considered a suspect in her parents’ deaths.

Excuse me for bringing this article back up again, but this quote is really really bothering me. I had no clue she had a caretaker. I said yesterday I got a vibe that a female was involved, and this is really niggling at my brain. They ruled her out, so I will have to believe that there is a reason why, a proven alibi or such, but wow.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the gender of the "caretaker" has been revealed. This bolded statement quoted from above "She is not considered a suspect in her parent's deaths." is in reference to the victim. If I am reading that correctly, Jayme is the subject, therefore "she" is in reference to Jayme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard