PA - 11 killed, 6 injured in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue, 27 Oct 2018 *guilty, death sentence*

Glorifying how? By reporting on these mass murders?

There is nothing glorious or sensationalistic about reporting on hate crimes, mass murder or tragic violence like this.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's really inappropriate right now, imho.

This is a horrible mass-casualty event. The shooter, for once, is alive and in custody.

By any gauge, this is a newsworthy, tragic act of extreme violence that must be covered by our free press.

Suppressing coverage for any reason right now would be ... odd (to say the least), and possibly unconstitutional.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's worth it to give it a try.

(
IMO, they won't stop until the MSM stops glorifying the shooters.

Glorifying how? By reporting on these mass murders?

There is nothing glorious or sensationalistic about reporting on hate crimes, mass murder or tragic violence like this.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's really inappropriate right now, imho.

This is a horrible mass-casualty event. The shooter, for once, is alive and in custody.

By any gauge, this is a newsworthy, tragic act of extreme violence that must be covered by our free press.

Suppressing coverage for any reason right now would be ... odd (to say the least), and possibly unconstitutional.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's worth it to give it a try.

This is a subject that comes up in many mass shooting cases:

Experts Call for Mass Killers' Names to Be Kept Quiet

The media should stop making school shooters famous

The problem with mass shootings and the media

A Way To Stop Mass Shootings: Stop Naming The Shooters

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/08/media-contagion-effect.pdf

A mass shooter's name is part of the story; concealing it is silly and self-important

Would hiding names of killers bring mass shootings to an end? | Opinion

“Don’t name them” – Criminologist asks journalists to help stop mass shootings - Journalist's Resource

Texas police won’t use the mass shooter’s name. Why media outlets are still doing it

Don't Name Them (ALERRT at Texas State University)

FBI to media: Don't name mass shooters

Texas authorities: We won't mention shooter's name again

Mother of victim: Media has to rethink how it covers mass shootings

When to Name, and Not to Name, Mass Murderers

CNN’s Anderson Cooper, too, has baffling shooter-naming policies

Not naming the Vegas shooter and other mass killers can save lives, experts say )

Back to the shooting at hand.

Last edited:
Governor Wolf Statement on Shooting in Pittsburgh

Governor Tom Wolf issued the following statement in response to Saturday morning’s shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh:

“The shooting in Pittsburgh this morning is an absolute tragedy. I have spoken with local leaders and my administration and the Pennsylvania State Police will provide any resources to assist local law enforcement and first responders.

“These senseless acts of violence are not who we are as Americans. My thoughts right now are focused on the victims, their families and making sure law enforcement has every resource they need.

(*more at link)

This level of gun violence can be curbed.

It doesn’t have to be this way.

We shouldn’t be a nation motivated by fear, hatred, violence and threats of violence.

We don’t have to live this way.

We can change this.

Last edited:
(O/T, I just came across this from a couple days ago, Louisville, KY:
Kroger Shooting: Accused shooter tried to get into Baptist church minutes before attack
First Baptist Church on Watterson Trail has predominantly black congregation)

I just saw this news item today too.
Not sure why I had not heard of it, but it surprised me that it was under my radar. Do we have a thread about it here?

ETA - we do now.
KY - shooter kills 2 customers in Kroger, Louisville, 24 OCT 2018

Last edited:

It’s the violence that’s the problem.

Not the journalists who rush into danger and put their lives at risk to inform us.

Stop shooting the messenger.

Maybe guns shouldn’t be so easy to access.

Maybe we need better, easier access to mental health care.

Maybe we need leaders who don’t encourage violence against those whom they disagree with.

Maybe blame the shooter for his own criminal behavior.

Maybe step up and intervene when this level of violence is so casually dismissed.

Maybe be less xenophobic, in general.

Maybe be less casually judgmental of people who are different from “us.”

Maybe we should all, actively and overtly, be the freaking change we want to see in this world.

Last edited:
650x366

650x366

PICTURES: Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Extremely tragic, and I totally agree about how the MSM needs to rethink on how it reports these shootings. No more fifteen minutes of fame for the shooters.

Thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the victims.

It is not "glorifying" a mass murderer to name him. It's part of the news and people have a right to know who did it.

EXACTLY.

Sunlight is a powerful disinfectant.

We shouldn’t protect or their cohorts them by granting them anonymity.

This suspect was caught in the act.

There is no glory or fame in cowardice, in brutally slaughtering innocents.

Unconscionable.

IMO, they won't stop until the MSM stops glorifying the shooters.

Not sure what this means. I have a friend within a mile of this shooting. Right now.

Visiting her child in Pittsburg. I went to his bar mitzvah.

Reporting the unfolding facts will never be construed as glorifying anything.

The enemy of the press is only used for political or otherwise fodder by a deranged group of people who seek to bend its viewpoint.

Respectfully, I implor humanity, because the bully pulpit is ineffective.

It's up to us. The peeps on the ground. To all in Pittsburg.

Like it was last week in NYC.

Last edited:
If everyone here who disagrees with how MSM reports these crimes, maybe they could stop sharing the news, photos, updates and content?

Oh yeah, I forget.

We still need journalists and rely on them to do exactly what they’re doing so that we can know what’s actually happening in our communities.

So easy to complain and point fingers, though, when that same news makes us uncomfortable.

“WESA reporter Lucy Perkins noted on Twitter that Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf arrived on the scene.

No updates yet but gov wolf just arrived @905wesa pic.twitter.com/6RFCI01Bpl
— Lucy Perkins (@lucyeperk) October 27, 2018
In a statement, Wolf condemned the shooting, saying these "senseless acts of violence are not who we are as Americans."

"We must all pray and hope for no more loss of life," Wolf said. "But we have been saying "this one is too many" for far too long. Dangerous weapons are putting our citizens in harm's way."”

Suspect In Custody After Multiple Casualties In Shooting At Pittsburgh Synagogue

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back