Steven Avery: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder?

Is Steven Avery responsible for the murder of Teresa Halbach?

• He did it

Votes: 253 29.7%
  • Some other guy did it

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • Looks guilty at this point

Votes: 74 8.7%
  • Not guilty based on evidence I've seen thus far

Votes: 195 22.9%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 254 29.8%
  • Undecided all around; more information required

Votes: 55 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm missing something - how do we know the Rav4 was off ASY property when the battery was replaced ?
Did the police not have to start the car at the ASY to move it at least to where a tow truck could move it to the lab ? Seems like it was pretty boxed in when they found it. Anyone charged with moving the Rav4 could have tried to start it, found the battery was dead, and called down to the shop to have one sent up.

Unless Zellner has specific proof the battery was changed while the Rav4 was off ASY property, I can't see how this proves anything.

Reading the complete CASO report, or even the trial transcripts, shows the answer about the RAV4. One of the biggest points that the prosecution and LE has stated from the beginning is that they NEVER entered the RAV4 at ASY. It was loaded onto a truck and taken to the crime lab (which took unusually long by the way). They say that the drive shaft was disconnected to allow for it to be towed. When the crime lab dude came the next day, the drivers door was opened, and he leaned in to unlock the doors. No note of who unlocked the drivers door or how. Now add to this that the battery was disconnected. The automatic locks wouldn't have worked either. I have always wondered how they got the back cargo door open?

As for the battery... I think the point is that it was changed, and apparently she knows who or what organization it belonged to because of warranty. I was wrong in my last post... I guess it was purchased in October 2004. If someone that shouldn't have changed the battery, changed it, that is compelling. I will wait to see more information, I would expect the verification and who it is to be filed with the courts though. I am not sure if she could go back to the circuit court with this or wait it out until the current appeal is complete.

Oh and the poster on reddit said he started looking into it because he could tell the battery wasn't the right size and it didn't "fit". I see it now, never noticed it before, the clamp isn't holding the battery in.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Exhibit-302-RAV4-Battery-Disconnected.jpg

I just got home from work so have just been skimming the info for now ;-)

Last edited:
When KZ says stuff like "TH's electronics were not burned in Steven's burn barrel; they were burned in Dassey burn barrel." has this been proven or just made up?

I understand the point you are trying to make, and I get it. However, at the same time, wouldn't it have been great to have some good photo's so we could have all just seen for ourselves if there were tin cans and vegetation in SA's barrel? Or how about those bones in the burn pit? Would like to see just one photo of that!

Reading the complete CASO report, or even the trial transcripts, shows the answer about the RAV4. One of the biggest points that the prosecution and LE has stated from the beginning is that they NEVER entered the RAV4 at ASY. It was loaded onto a truck and taken to the crime lab (which took unusually long by the way). They say that the drive shaft was disconnected to allow for it to be towed. When the crime lab dude came the next day, the drivers door was opened, and he leaned in to unlock the doors. No note of who unlocked the drivers door or how. Now add to this that the battery was disconnected. The automatic locks wouldn't have worked either. I have always wondered how they got the back cargo door open?

As for the battery... I think the point is that it was changed, and apparently she knows who or what organization it belonged to because of warranty. I was wrong in my last post... I guess it was purchased in October 2004. If someone that shouldn't have changed the battery, changed it, that is compelling. I will wait to see more information, I would expect the verification and who it is to be filed with the courts though. I am not sure if she could go back to the circuit court with this or wait it out until the current appeal is complete.

Oh and the poster on reddit said he started looking into it because he could tell the battery wasn't the right size and it didn't "fit". I see it now, never noticed it before, the clamp isn't holding the battery in.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Exhibit-302-RAV4-Battery-Disconnected.jpg

I just got home from work so have just been skimming the info for now ;-)

If KZ can 100% prove the battery was changed off Avery property between 10/31 and 11/4, i'm listening.

If KZ can 100% prove the battery was changed off Avery property between 10/31 and 11/4, i'm listening.

How about if that battery was from a MTSO? Because remember, they did NOT go into the RAV4, they didn't touch it, they didn't do anything that would have given anyone access to the vehicle? They could not get under the hood to replace a battery without entering the vehicle and releasing the hood.

Wouldn't we all like the answers? LOL

As for the battery... from what I am reading on reddit, the battery was purchased in Aug/04, it has a name attached to the serial number for warranty purposes. Apparently the battery type was used in Crown Victoria's, which of course would have been police vehicles back then. I will say JMO since I am reading it over there and from the poster that actually sent KZ the tip about the battery.
The close up picture you linked to show that the battery in the RAV4 is an Interstate Battery number MT-58.

While some Crown Vics could come with a small battery that size a police Crown Vic would not. They would use the much larger Group 65 battery.

I quick look online at Interstate Battery's lookup shows that a 1999 Rav4 would use a Group 35 battery. That is close to a Group 58 in size.

When I go to work tommorow I can look in my battery book that shows sizes and post configurations to see how much difference there is between a Group 58 and a Group 35 battery. JMO

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/product-search-results

I'm wondering if this battery came from a wrecked car that was in possession of a rival salvage yard. Perhaps one with connections to people with a vendetta.

From what i have read it was under warranty and KZ knows which person/organization purchased the battery.
That means she has the evidence of that i imagine.

How about if that battery was from a MTSO? Because remember, they did NOT go into the RAV4, they didn't touch it, they didn't do anything that would have given anyone access to the vehicle? They could not get under the hood to replace a battery without entering the vehicle and releasing the hood.

I'll wait for Zellner's bombshell on the battery but how do we know which battery was in the Rav4 on 10/31 when TH pulled into the ASY ?

From what i have read it was under warranty and KZ knows which person/organization purchased the battery.
That means she has the evidence of that i imagine.
I've never bought or sold Interstate batteries so I don't know if they document the buyer and the batteries serial number.

No batteries that I've ever bought or sold do that. Most you need a receipt/proof of purchase with date to warranty a bad battery.

You can warranty an ACDelco battery without a receipt by using the production date code on the battery but you will lose some months and possibly money doing it that way. JMO

I'll wait for Zellner's bombshell on the battery but how do we know which battery was in the Rav4 on 10/31 when TH pulled into the ASY ?
Probably because of photos in evidence of the RAV battery that doesn't fit properly.
If the battery in the vehicle at the time was the original battery in the vehicle it would of been the right battery that fitted. If it was a new battery TH had to replace the original with, the battery still would of been the right one to fit the RAV if fitted by a mechanic. IMO

From what I am reading, I think the theory is that the RAV4 was left somewhere, a turn out or wherever.... there is more than 1 person that has come forward talking about different vehicles being seen, one that may have matched Scott's vehicle at the time. That maybe the battery died and it needed to be replaced quickly to take it to ASY.

Again, I think the point is that if it came from a Crown Victoria vehicle, which was MTSO police vehicles at the time, it's interesting. I'm not sure why you are stuck on the battery being replaced before or after it was ASY? I am not sure why anyone, including SA, would change it once it was parked?

Probably because of photos in evidence of the RAV battery that doesn't fit properly.
If the battery in the vehicle at the time was the original battery in the vehicle it would of been the right battery that fitted. If it was a new battery TH had to replace the original with, the battery still would of been the right one to fit the RAV if fitted by a mechanic. IMO
I have to disagree that a mechanic will always put the correct battery in a vehicle. That's why I want to check the size difference between the two batteries.

Sometimes a shop,or any one for that matter, will use what's on hand if it will work instead of waiting for the "right" battery. I've done that myself. JMO

ok wait @Sustained maybe I read your post wrong. Are you suggesting that Teresa just had the wrong battery in her vehicle? I was thinking this myself... who is to say that TH didn't just have the wrong battery in it... but KZ seems to make it clear that they know who the battery belonged to, or at least that is what she is saying. Now, TH's carfax report had things that she had replaced on it ... including windshield wipers lol I would expect to see a battery as well, unless it was a quick fix somewhere, but if she goes to a dealership to get wipers replaced, I expect she would do the same for a battery?

I have to disagree that a mechanic will always put the correct battery in a vehicle. That's why I want to check the size difference between the two batteries.

Sometimes a shop,or any one for that matter, will use what's on hand if it will work instead of waiting for the "right" battery. I've done that myself. JMO
Well that could be, but not in my experience of replacing a battery.
But if KZ knows who changed the battery that would be significant depending on what she found.

ok wait @Sustained maybe I read your post wrong. Are you suggesting that Teresa just had the wrong battery in her vehicle? I was thinking this myself... who is to say that TH didn't just have the wrong battery in it... but KZ seems to make it clear that they know who the battery belonged to, or at least that is what she is saying. Now, TH's carfax report had things that she had replaced on it ... including windshield wipers lol I would expect to see a battery as well, unless it was a quick fix somewhere, but if she goes to a dealership to get wipers replaced, I expect she would do the same for a battery?
Maybe she had a battery problem on the road and whoever she called to help brought the Interstate Group 58 battery and installed that instead of the Group 35. JMO

I think the significant thing about the battery is:

Q: #askzellner Have your traced who changed the battery or owned the battery that was put in her car?

A: Yes. #AskZellner

If she knows who it belonged to and it was someone connected to the case (not personally connected to Teresa), it could be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500