Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

I think this is strange. Maybe he was on drugs?

After the game was over, however, Kazem said Powers sent text messages and participated in a Facebook video call with his girlfriend and family as they coordinated a place to meet up outside of the stadium.

“Some of the responses from Mr. Powers weren’t very reasonable or didn’t make sense,” Kazem said. He added that Powers was reportedly drinking at the game, though his level of intoxication is unknown.

Search continues Thursday for Spokane man who mysteriously disappeared in Santa Clara after 49ers football game

Do you think there was an altercation in the bathroom and he was hit hard on the head and that was why he was not talking correctly in the text massages?

Do you think there was an altercation in the bathroom and he was hit hard on the head and that was why he was not talking correctly in the text massages?
Or maybe he fell and hit his head? My husband (in younger years when he drank heavily) had fallen several times and didn't remember it happening (other than body being sore or scrapes). Ian didn't appear to be SUPER intoxicated as he was leaving though.....

I wish we had more of an idea of the overall "tone" of everyone that evening as it might help understand the actions of everyone that night.

Was everyone just fed up and very angry that he had been drinking to the point of not even making sense on the phone, hindering their ability to find each other and get on the road back to the hotel? Hence just getting on a bus and going back to the hotel, leaving him behind?

Did the other adults in the group have their own vehicle? Did they stay behind longer to look/wait for him or did they get on the bus as well?

I just find everyone's behaviors that evening rather odd. Even if it is normal for him to pull this sort of thing & no one had concerns about a DUI if he were to eventually make his way back to the car, wouldn't everyone still have some added concern for him since they are out of town, their hotel was far from the stadium and his phone had died..... Or am I overreacting/underestimating the abilities of drunk people left behind in unfamiliar places?

I find the last "Hey baby" message to the gf quite ominous ...

Me too. I deleted my earlier comment when I saw that, and the mention that they had been communicating about trying to find each other -- I had been writing out my theory which envisioned his communication to her to be along the lines of "I'm going to go [X] and will be back later..."

I hope all tucked away staircases and stairwells have been searched too -- I'm remembering a story of a woman (patient? visitor?) who got lost inside a major hospital and was found days later in a stairwell from which all doors were locked...

Last edited:
His cell Phone pinged near his vehicle - he had the keys. He could have charged his phone in the vehicle and slept there.
But that didn’t happen.

Did he leave and go looking for his family and get robbed? Pass out?

Or is the cell phone ping not a fact? Or not near his vehicle?

Just a thought...no rumor....no insinuation....no judging...just my own random idea.....recreational marijuana is legal in both WA and CA - maybe he went looking for some and GF waited a while (because they were all going back to the hotel). Maybe video call was to tell her that he met someone who could take him to get it, and he'd meet up with her later, hence her taking the bus? I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to find someone to buy from - when we were in CA last month, just about every other person who walked by smelled like they had just smoked.

Just a thought...no rumor....no insinuation....no judging...just my own random idea.....recreational marijuana is legal in both WA and CA - maybe he went looking for some and GF waited a while (because they were all going back to the hotel). Maybe video call was to tell her that he met someone who could take him to get it, and he'd meet up with her later, hence her taking the bus? I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to find someone to buy from - when we were in CA last month, just about every other person who walked by smelled like they had just smoked.

When its rec legal, you dont need a "guy" to meet up with, you literally walk into a shop as if you were buying a much safer alternative to Beer.

IMO I feel they may have ad an argument, maybe around alcohol, and he emotionally stormed off.

Hello all. First time poster here. Not sure if this will be useful information but this photo of Ian Powers was reversed. I compared it to the sticker/logo on the hat from an earlier photo at the game. I've corrected it and it appears to be the Citrix sign in the background. This would have placed him roughly in the nearby Hilton parking lot.

Welcome to Websleuths, tet !!!​

Great catch. I can see what appears to be the Citrix sign, which I would imagine would be illuminated at night. I can also see the rectangular windows below it. Here are some screenshots from Google Maps, showing side-by-side to the video still:

DsEQ0osVYAEsUWn.jpg
Original photo
Jesse Gary on Twitter

DsEQ0osVYAEsUWn.jpg
Flipped

streetview.png
Streetview
Google Maps

Overhead view

overhead.png
Google Maps

On side note, I wonder where the car was parked. Jmo

When you look into one of these cases, look at what the local TV & newspaper reports.

I’m about 10 miles from the stadium and heard the report on the TV. The next day someone asked if I’d heard more about it. I hadn’t had the TV on and it was too late for the news, so I looked on the net. I ran across web sleuths at that time and it seemed your information was lacking some of her comments. I thought I’d give you some links.
(I’ve never been to that stadium so I don’t know details about it.)

The local (San Jose) major newspaper is mercurynews.com, but it didn’t seem to have much. I didn’t check the San Francisco or Oakland papers or any of the smaller community papers. I didn't check any of the Spokane media.

The TV stations that would cover this include KPIX, KRON, KGO, KTVU. Our news is filled with the Camp Fire fire and its effect on the SF Bay Area air, but they have covered this missing man a little. In particular, the girlfriend says various things on various interviews. Perhaps this can help clarify the timeline at least of their interaction at the end of the game. (GF = girlfriend; Sorry, these are not ordered by time)
GF: “We kept Facetiming and missing each other a million times and then we would talk for a minute and try to find each other. I got a text from him at 8:40 but said just ‘Hey Baby’ and that was it and that was the last time I heard from him.”

Narrator: His car was later found in the parking lot where he left it.

Police Search For Man Who Went Missing From 49ers Game

Police Search For Man Who Went Missing From 49ers Game
Narrator: [They couldn’t get hold of each other] She then waited by his car in a parking lot nearby but Powers never arrived and she thinks his phone died. The girlfriend had to take a bus with her two kids back to their hotel near his family in Concord.

GF: “He never got a chance to talk to us like after we made it back to the hotel. He [didn’t know where] me and the kids were. He wouldn’t have disappeared and not called.”

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area...goes-missing-during-bathroom-break/1596627459

GF: “He never would have just disappeared like that. And uh he never would have not called or not checked on me and the kids to make sure we made it back to the hotel”

Narrator: Cell tower data indicates his cell phone was near Great America Parkway and Tasman Drive. … She joined the search near where they had parked along Patrick Henry Drive.

GF: “We were talking about meeting at the car. And then … we.. me and the kids were in the bathroom and I called him when we got out and he said he was by the entrance and we were trying to find him. Um..Like the video chatted for a minute and then got disconnected.”

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area...an-leaving-game-during-4th-quarter/1600509391

Police: His exit out the stadium starts about 8:52.
GF: “I have no idea and there’s been no bank activity, cell phone activity or anything to give us any idea as to what happened yet.”
GF: “We kept Facetiming and missing each other a million times and then would talk for a minute, try to find each other.”

https://www.kron4.com/news/man-atte...ring-bathroom-break_20181115011110/1597744875
https://www.kron4.com/news/surveill...-during-4th-quarter_20181116000618/1600516886

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/11/14/ian-powers-missing-49ers-fan-levis-stadium-mnf/
“Police said the man, Ian Powers, 32, was reported missing Tuesday morning after last speaking to his family around 10 p.m. Monday.”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...d-of-missing-49ers-fan-leaving-levis-stadium/
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/v...d-of-missing-49ers-fan-leaving-levis-stadium/
https://abc7news.com/sports/49ers-f...night-football-game-at-levis-stadium/4688398/
"It's incredibly unlike him," said Sean Powers, Ian's uncle. "He's probably the most responsible person in my family."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/new-evidence-emerges-in-case-of-missing-49ers-fan

http://www.levisstadium.com/stadium-az-guide/ : There is a maximum of two (2) alcoholic beverages per purchase. All alcohol sales will be discontinued at the end of the third (3rd) quarter or earlier at Levi’s® Stadium Management’s discretion.

Welcome to Websleuths, tet !!!​

Great catch. I can see what appears to be the Citrix sign, which I would imagine would be illuminated at night. I can also see the rectangular windows below it. Here are some screenshots from Google Maps, showing side-by-side to the video still:

View attachment 155942
Original photo
Jesse Gary on Twitter

View attachment 155944
Flipped

View attachment 155943
Streetview
Google Maps

Overhead view

View attachment 155945
Google Maps

On side note, I wonder where the car was parked. Jmo

Your absolutely correct, I totally see the Citrix sign now. This would make him clearly right at the entrance of the Hilton hotel. I wonder if he wound up staying the night there? But where now? So baffling.

I fear the water. Like he walked over the bridge, but trying to return he either couldnt find the bridge or saw it as too far away and tried a shortcut.... I hope they find him, this is scary.

I agree Wagtales. It's been three days and he hasn't surfaced. I think something happened to him, likely to do with water. Sorry to type this. jmo

Just a thought: it was said you can't re-enter the stadium once you're out. Given that he and gf tried to meet up but kept missing each other, might he have tried to get back in some unofficial way? Climbing a fence? Finding a path below that bridge?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back