Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

Why walk away and not tell anyone that he was leaving, go toward the car and then walk 2+ miles away? It just doesn’t really make much sense.

Maybe he did have some type of a PTSD episode or he was just drunk and the combination of things caused him to not know what he was doing?

So many questions on this very sad case and one that we’ll probably never really know for sure what happened.

Prayers to his family.
Ian, may you Rest In Peace.

I've been thinking he might have lost the car keys. He noticed, went to try to find them, wasn't able to call gf since cell phone was off, took some time looking for the keys, returned maybe? And i guess at some point he could've decided to go... somewhere walking. Perhaps back to the hotel. JMO, MOO, IMHO.

I've been thinking he might have lost the car keys. He noticed, went to try to find them, wasn't able to call gf since cell phone was off, took some time looking for the keys, returned maybe? And i guess at some point he could've decided to go... somewhere walking. Perhaps back to the hotel. JMO, MOO, IMHO.
I imagine he walke dover the bridge then on his return he was either too far from the bridge or couldnt find it and chose to cross it himself; RIP

Why walk away and not tell anyone that he was leaving, go toward the car and then walk 2+ miles away? It just doesn’t really make much sense.

Something doesn't add up for me. The coroner found salt water drowning. Where could he have drowned in salt water? Not in the creeks, obviously. Not in Guadalupe River. I don't kn0w at what point the sloughs become salt water, but in the slough, 1 mile from the boat ramp is still 3 miles from the bay. I have the impression that salt ponds such as Salt Pond A8 are pretty shallow (yes, an unconscious person can drown in 2" of water).

The walkways north of Highway 237 are unlit, and the moon set at 9:17PM. There seem to be cameras at every traffic light on streets south of Hwy 237. That walk likely could be tracked. (One could avoid cameras, but would have to cross foot bridges. -- He pretty much has to have been on the stadium side (east/north) of the creek that flows adjacent to the stadium. Probably he walked north along Great America Parkway)

I wonder whether the coroner could get even an estimate of blood alcohol level. Unless he stopped somewhere to get alcohol, how drunk could he be after such a long walk (at least 2 hours after he last could buy alcohol at the stadium)? Could he have acquired alcohol along the way? A Google Map search doesn't show any bars except near the stadium or in Alviso. It shows one gas station/convenience store (24hr) along the route to the bay, and no grocery stores except in Alviso. Such a store will certainly have surveillance tapes.

I suppose there could be an empty 6-pack of beer on the edge of the salt pond with his fingerprints.

Whatever the situation, I wish the family, and especially the two children, peace.

I wonder whether the coroner could get even an estimate of blood alcohol level. Unless he stopped somewhere to get alcohol, how drunk could he be after such a long walk (at least 2 hours after he last could buy alcohol at the stadium)? Could he have acquired alcohol along the way? A Google Map search doesn't show any bars except near the stadium or in Alviso. It shows one gas station/convenience store (24hr) along the route to the bay, and no grocery stores except in Alviso. Such a store will certainly have surveillance tapes.

I suppose there could be an empty 6-pack of beer on the edge of the salt pond with his fingerprints.

Whatever the situation, I wish the family, and especially the two children, peace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESPONSE:
I think a toxicology test will be done. Those results can take up to 6 weeks to come back

Last edited:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESPONSE:
I think a toxicology test will be done. Those results can take up to 6 weeks to come back.

That bit with the water and men (usually young-ish) drowning is seriously creepy to me.
It's more understandable that someone --possibly impaired --walked into traffic or perished from exposure , than fell and drowned. Imo.
Sometimes these young men are found quite far from where they were last seen by family/friends.

I'd want to know what stores he passed and if sec. cams caught anything ?

KHG Local News posted a story 4 hours ago on Facebook. There's an interesting comment (a reply to another comment) that seems to lead to the acceptance that he went to pee, slipped, can't swim. And that he was intoxicated. Take this as rumor and/or my opinion, but I think that's all that happened.

RIP, Ian.

Last edited:
Dang! Was really hoping this wouldn't have been the outcome. I'm wondering if he just had a bit too much to drink. Got disoriented. Wandered thinking he was headed un the right direction. Lost his footing? No matter I'm heartbroken for his loved ones.

KHG Local News posted a story 4 hours ago on Facebook. There's an interesting comment (a reply to another comment) that seems to lead to the acceptance that he went to pee, slipped, can't swim. And that he was intoxicated. Take this as rumor and/or my opinion, but I think that's all that happened.

RIP, Ian.

Here’s the local news article.
KHQ Local News

If he attempted to walk across a marshy area, it would probably be easy to get stuck in muck. Would it act a bit like quicksand, the harder you try to get out, the worse it gets? I realky don't know what this area is like, so just speculation on my part.

I believe saltwater may be creeping back into the Guadalupe River (saltwater drowning) . This is an old article, 2014, so I don't know what further work may have been done.

San Francisco Bay: Feds deny permits on project to widen Guadalupe River at Alviso – The Mercury News

$9.6 million plan to widen the lower Guadalupe River in Alviso

Under that project, crews cut a 40-foot channel between the river and Pond A-8, a former commercial salt evaporation pond. Eight tidal gates were installed. So far three have been opened, allowing some salt water from the bay to come into the river.

Eric Mruz, manager of the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, said Sunday that he plans to open five gates this summer, after studies of mercury impacts on fish and birds are finished, with all eight gates opened by 2016. If everything goes well, he said, the salt water will kill much of the vegetation, and begin washing away the sediment. But getting the river back to its pre-1980s state could take decades.
----

Death of Missing 49ers Fan Found in Bay Ruled an Accident

It's not easy to get into the waterway," Santa Clara Police Capt. Wahid Kazem said. "We can speculate to say maybe he thought that he could cross the waterway. Perhaps he thought that where he needed to be or his car or his family was on the other side of the waterway. I can understand where some may look at that waterway and think that, 'Oh, I can just run across this.' But if you actually step into the middle of that waterway, it's going to sink down quite a bit to the point where you're going to realize this is not as easy as I thought."

<smacks head> I never considered the possibility that he couldn't swim. Sheesh, that would make sense. As if anything about someone dying this way could make sense...

Still such a very tragic accident...
The girlfriend stated early on that Ian can’t swim.

Police as well, “Police speculate that Powers, who did not know how to swim, somehow ended up in the Guadalupe River near the stadium before his body was found days later.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...und-in-Bay-Family-Member-500888571.html?amp=y

Death ruled an accident.

TIMELINE: 49ers fan who disappeared after game found dead

[...]

Watch the video above for a timeline of what we know so far about the case.

The Santa Clara Police Department has released a map of where Powers was last seen versus where he was found:

View attachment 156467
It looks to me, from the map, he would’ve had to cross the freeway? Are there pedestrian bridges???
Or, are they saying he possibly “fell in” somewhere along the creek area and the current or river flow carried him out???
It appears to me he went in the wrong direction of the car and along way from the stadium??
Not trying to contradict the facts presented or re-hash, the map just raised more questions for me too.
I just hate this for his family, it seems so out of character for him, and just tragic.

Why would he have to pee? That’s why he left his seat at the stadium in the first place...and it was 45 minutes before he even walked out of the stadium.

There's a chance he might have had to pee again. I know when I've been drinking alcohol, my bladder seems to become tiny! I seriously have to pee every half an hour.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back