TN TN - Matthew James Smith, 34, from NC, SUV found in Greeneville, 11 Nov 2018

rainynights

Reaction score
Burke County Sheriff's Office | 11/19/2018 12:35pm (EST)

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS DIVISION
PRESS RELEASE

MISSING PERSON

Name: MATTHEW JAMES SMITH
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 6’
Weight: 180 lbs.

Details:
The Burke County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division is seeking the public’s assistance in locating a missing person. Matthew James Smith was reported missing on November 11, 2018. Matthew is described as a 34-year-old male, 6-foot-tall, weighing 180 pounds. Matthew may be traveling in or around the area of eastern Tennessee.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Burke County Sheriff’s Office at 828-438-5500 or Morganton/Burke Crimestoppers at 828-437-3333. All Crimestoppers tips are anonymous.

Agencies Involved:
Burke County Sheriff’s Office

46480643_10157353832365579_8939750207856312320_n.jpg

North Carolina Man Last Seen On Viking Mountain
On Nov. 8, Smith’s sport utility vehicle was located in the Viking Mountain commonly referred to as Kennedy Cabin Trail, a news release from the Greene County Sheriff’s Department said.

An investigation showed that the SUV has been there since Nov. 8. About noon on that date, the U.S. Forest Service received a call about a man fitting Smith’s description walking on the Kennedy Cabin Trail.

Smith could not be located at that time by deputies. Searchers from the Greeneville County Emergency & Rescue Squad and other agencies were back on Viking Mountain Friday morning, deputies said.

Greene County TN Sheriff's Department | 11/21/2018 2:52pm (EST)

***SEEKING THE PUBLIC'S ASSISTANCE***
Matthew Smith's vehicle was located in Greene County in a remote location of Viking Mountain commonly referred as Kennedy Cabin trail. Investigations show that the SUV has been there since 11-08-2018. On that same day around noon, someone called the Forest Service office to report a male walking on the trail that fit Smith's description. Officers were unable to locate Smith at that time. The GCSD is asking for ANYONE that was on Viking Mountain or the Kennedy Cabin trails this month and saw anything that may relate to this case to report it to our agency. Call 423-798-1800 and ask for Detective Sgt. Jimmy Morgan.

Greene County TN Sheriff's Department shared a post.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what is going on? Is he wanted by the Burke County Sheriff's Department for a criminal investigation? Has he been reported missing by a family member? Is he considered missing because his vehicle was found in a desolate area? Is there suspected foul play or did he just slip off to clear his head?

Am I the only one who doesn't know what is going on? Is he wanted by the Burke County Sheriff's Department for a criminal investigation? Has he been reported missing by a family member? Is he considered missing because his vehicle was found in a desolate area? Is there suspected foul play or did he just slip off to clear his head?

No, I'm confused, too. The warrant division but a "missing person"? Hmmm....tricky

ETA reading a little further, seems that family is looking for him and have no idea what happened. That doesn't mean they won't arrest him when found if he also has a warrant but I think an MP report was actually filed. Also, looking at the warrant division's FB page, his post is obviously different from the others, which state that a person is wanted for arrest

Last edited:
No, I'm confused, too. The warrant division but a "missing person"? Hmmm....tricky

ETA reading a little further, seems that family is looking for him and have no idea what happened. That doesn't mean they won't arrest him when found if he also has a warrant but I think an MP report was actually filed. Also, looking at the warrant division's FB page, his post is obviously different from the others, which state that a person is wanted for arrest

Also, another young man is missing from there, since Aug. 28 . . . reported by family.

I can't tell here with MJS what caused his family to report him as missing.

It's almost as though they may have been contacted about his car being located and him not with it. The car seems to have been found on Nov. 8, but he was reported missing on the 11th.

I hope he's ok . . . it's just weird.

I'm worried he went for a hike and got lost, which could be deadly this time of year.

NC man still missing from Viking Mountain in Greene County
Sheriff Wesley Holt says members of the county's rescue squad searched for 34-year-old Matthew James Smith on Friday but were unable to locate him.
Greene County investigators believe the vehicle had been there since November 8. According to Holt, on that same day, someone called the forest service and reported seeing a man who looked like Smith walking along the trail. Officers searched for him but did not find him.

I have a public database I have a subscription to which has a warrant search function. The only criminal warrant was for a Matthew Smith, but a DIFFERENT middle name, so not him. I'm leaning towards missing on hike.

so am I. I called the Burke County Sheriff's office -- over the weekend, so didn't get a detective and the man didn't want to discuss it, suggested I call back today (which I didn't) . However, he did say it appeared the only reason Smith is being looked for is as a missing person. However, if he got lost on a hike, with the cold weather and this amount of time, I don't see how this can possibly have a good outcome.

This doesn't make much sense to me... Doesn't explain why they issued another alert today???

The Greene County Sheriff's Department issued another missing person alert for a North Carolina man last spotted on a Viking Mountain trail last fall.

The agency first reported Matthew James Smith, 34, in November when his SUV was found on Kennedy Cabin Trail.

On Tuesday, the department said that on Nov. 8, a person contacted the local Forest Service office and reported a suspicious person walking on the trail. That report said police are trying to get into contact with the person that made the call.

Anyone with information on the case or the person who made the call can contact Detective Sgt. Jimmy Morgan at (423) 798-1800.

UPDATE: Greene County issues missing person alert for North Carolina man for second time

It is for the caller... duh! They need to talk to the caller. I am ashamed of myself. I thought they put an alert on Matthew again.

***SEEKING THE PUBLIC'S ASSISTANCE***
On 11-08-2018, someone called the Forest Service Office to report a suspicious person on Kennedy Cabin Trail. WE NEED TO FIND THAT CALLER for some follow-up information. If this person is you, or if you know who this caller is, PLEASE call Detective Sgt. Jimmy Morgan at 423-798-1800.

Greene County TN Criminal Investigations Department

Depending on the County/city... some have the homicide unit, also do the missing persons investigations. Some have the Major Crimes unit do them. Not all LE agencies, except maybe the larger metropolis', have their own Missing Persons Units. Places like Chicago, Houston, etc... do. I am sure every once in a blue moon a smaller agency will be found to have a mp unit. So, we cannot really go by the title of the unit conducting the investigation as being the nature of the case.

This is a strange case.
Nov 8 someone calls the Forest Service and reports a suspicious person walking along the trail. What was suspicious about him? Was he acting strange, aggressive or what?
Forest Service searches but does not find anyone.
November 11. Matthew is reported missing.
Nov 18th. Hunters find his car on the trail. LE said they had searched that area before using GPS but did not find it. Had it been moved? Wouldn’t the GPS signal show if it had been?
Nov 25th. Another search was conducted, but nothing was found
Now in April the sheriff has renewed efforts to find him and also wishes to speak again to the person who had reported a suspicious person on Nov 8.
Usually there is contact information for callers unless it was an anonymous call. Why did LE originally presume the suspicious person was Matthew? Does LE now believe the suspicious person may be responsible for Matthew’s disappearance?
There are a lot of questions regarding this case

Nov 18th. Hunters find his car on the trail. LE said they had searched that area before using GPS but did not find it. Had it been moved? Wouldn’t the GPS signal show if it had been?
The GPS in a car is a receiver, not a transmitter, in most cases. So most cars won't send a GPS signal as to where it has been.

According to this article: Police have since located the caller, who confirmed he saw Smith walking on the trail, said Chief Detective Jeff Morgan with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department.
Missing man search continues

Also articles keep calling Smith a "Valdese man" -- Valdese is a town in Burke County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 4,490 at the 2010 census, according to Wikipedia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back