Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess Stacey not telling her parents she was going to Suzie’s had more to do with it being decided at 2am or later when the plans changed. I doubt she wanted to call her mom and wake her up just to tell her that.

I don’t as her own family have said she didn’t have permission to stay there. That’s a pretty strong statement considering Stacey was adult and old enough to do what she wanted.

Even Janelle try’s to distance herself from Suzie in that tv interview she did with her disdainful comment about the “other girl”.

For whatever reason Suzie and her mum didn’t seem to have the best reputation it seems.

The problem with the sexual assault angle is there is no sign of one.

But we do know the front door wasn’t forced so it’s more than likely Suzie or Sherill let the perp in ..

Sherill’s room wasn’t it’s neat and tidy self so it looks like somebody went through her room.

Purses rummaged though but seemingly nothing taken.

From the outside looking in this looks like somebody was looking for something in that home. It doesn’t scream sexual assault.

This news article isn't directly related to the Springfield Three, but it reveals a shocking lack of concern and professionalism by Springfield police. One would think, based on this unsolved case, that the Springfield PD would have developed into a professional, top-notch organization.

The city where police failed rape victims

Nov. 29, 2018

They pressured victims. They didn’t interview suspects. Then they destroyed rape kits. Experts said the police department in this college town used ‘disturbing’ practices.

Detective Maggie McDowell read the patrol officers’ report: A man entered a woman’s apartment through a window while she was sleeping. He punched her repeatedly and threatened to kill her if she didn’t stop screaming. Then, he cut a hole in the crotch of her pants and raped her.

Bruised and bleeding, the woman was taken to a hospital for a rape exam. A doctor told officers he observed a cut deep in the woman’s vagina.

Officers documented that the woman said she knew her attacker, and they photographed the inside of her apartment, including a bent window screen where she said the man gained entry.

But after reading the report of the 2009 attack, the Springfield, Missouri, detective did little investigative work, according to the case file. She didn’t send the woman’s rape kit to a lab to be tested, nor did she follow up with another person the victim said was in the home at the time of the rape. And, according to the case file, she made no attempt to interview the suspect.

Ok, based on this CNN report, I'd say it's extremely unlikely the Springfield 3 case will ever be solved, mostly because the PD doesn't have a professional police force, nor do they have one that is interested in solving crimes. I don't know what other conclusions can be drawn.

Just wow. Explains a lot.

Reporters reviewed nearly 200 investigations in which Springfield police destroyed rape kits since 2010. In at least 108, the kits were destroyed before the statutes of limitations expired or when there was no time limit to prosecute the crimes. Seventy-five percent of those kits were destroyed without police submitting the evidence to a lab to be tested.

BBM

Not only is it not professional, but several officers at the time have been in trouble with the law. Including one who was on the original police report and the number two in charge of the police force.

They are simply not equipped to handle a case like this.

One possible explanation I have for that is that Janelle was probably eager to have Stacy "to herself", that kind of thing - typical teenage disagreements and jealousy. I just get that impression from her attitude in interviews around the time of the disappearance that there was some tension that would have caused her to call Suzie "the other girl". Her wanting to leave so early for the water park perhaps stemmed from the fact Suzie and Stacy were on their own together - maybe she even left some voicemails that she regretted that morning when she couldn't reach them, could go some way to explaining the reasoning for them going into the house. I think we can guarantee she wouldn't have woken up at 7am if Stacy and Suzie had stayed over.

intothenight....you could be onto something here with.......
" I just get that impression from her attitude in interviews around the time of the disappearance that there was some tension that would have caused her to call Suzie "the other girl".

Jealousy. A powerful force.
I dunno......JK's interview, shortly after the girl's disappeared, haunts me.
Her BFF was missing. A 'flat affect' is considered a 'red flag' nowadays.
Just watch Chris Watts TV interview. Now there's an interesting fellow.....

intothenight....you could be onto something here with.......
" I just get that impression from her attitude in interviews around the time of the disappearance that there was some tension that would have caused her to call Suzie "the other girl".

Jealousy. A powerful force.
I dunno......JK's interview, shortly after the girl's disappeared, haunts me.
Speaking of jealousy. There was another girl, Dusty's girlfriend at the time, who did not like Suzie. Whose mom dated POI Steve Garrison.

I think Janelle knows something. But I don't think she has the criminal ability to pull of a crime of this magnitude. Nor any of her high school crowd.

This news article isn't directly related to the Springfield Three, but it reveals a shocking lack of concern and professionalism by Springfield police. One would think, based on this unsolved case, that the Springfield PD would have developed into a professional, top-notch organization.

Nov. 29, 2018

Ok, based on this CNN report, I'd say it's extremely unlikely the Springfield 3 case will ever be solved, mostly because the PD doesn't have a professional police force, nor do they have one that is interested in solving crimes. I don't know what other conclusions can be drawn.

Just wow. Explains a lot.

BBM

Mike and I read this last week. It seriously was disheartening to read.

Speaking of jealousy. There was another girl, Dusty's girlfriend at the time, who did not like Suzie. Whose mom dated POI Steve Garrison.

I think Janelle knows something. But I don't think she has the criminal ability to pull of a crime of this magnitude. Nor any of her high school crowd.

Too be fair these people didn’t need to be master minds to pull this off.

A inept police force in over their head and some luck is what helped keep this mystery unsolved.

How hard is it to bury 3 bodies in remote woodlands on a early Sunday morning when nobody is around or awake?

Last edited:
Mike and I read this last week. It seriously was disheartening to read.

As a retired sheriff once told me, when something like this happens, they have to throw out everything and start a new investigation. Basically, everything the public has been told about this investigation is now unreliable. Throw out all the theories, info about suspects, evidence, everything and start from scratch.

I hate when this happens with a cold case, but it happens.

I guess one positive outcome is that everything is open for consideration.

Too be fair these people didn’t need to be master minds to pull this off.

A inept police force in over their head and some luck is what helped keep this mystery unsolved.

How hard is it to bury 3 bodies in remote woodlands on a early Sunday morning when nobody is around or awake?

Surely outside investigators helping with these kinds of cases can see when the agency in charge is incompetent or corrupt. Isn't there some way to have a whistleblower or confidential informant program where bad police departments can be reported higher,up? Such a colossal waste of resources, lives and property when these people are left in their jobs.

As a retired sheriff once told me, when something like this happens, they have to throw out everything and start a new investigation. Basically, everything the public has been told about this investigation is now unreliable. Throw out all the theories, info about suspects, evidence, everything and start from scratch.

If they did anything with evidence that they did in this article it will make it that much harder. I would of hoped the new investigators looked at various angles, some old and some new back in 2012 and hope some are still looking from that group considering three days isn’t long. I don’t think the SPD can solve this alone. Especially not if this is how they still investigate.

It was June 9th 2002. 10 years of investigation between the abductions and the article.
But see, that's where this all gets convoluted and muddied up. Various papers reported the crime in different ways. The Springfield News-Leader reported one thing, then the Kansas City Star reported something different, and then apparently the Jefferson City Tribune reports that it has something to do with a sexual assault.
But here's the deal, I have looked at every article printed in the Springfield News-Leader, which you would think would be the most accurate accounting because the crime occurred in Springfield, Mo., from the date the crime occurred, June 6/7, 1992 to One Year Later, and I don't recall them ever mentioning that it was ever thought to have been related to a sexual assault. I have read that they thought that Sherrill was the intended victim, based on the girls random/unplanned return to Suzies house, but don't recall them ever speculating that the motive was sexual assault.
I'm going to have to go back and look at the information I have on file on this case again, unless someone can point to an article from the Springfield News-Leader with-in the first year the crime was committed. Otherwise, I have to chalk the Jefferson City Tribune's story in 2002, 10-yrs after the crime was committed, as possibly being just another example of various news papers reporting the story, and details of the crime differently, as they for sure did, when the crime first occurred, as well as years later when they yet again, report it differently than the same paper reported it several years earlier. The Kansas City Star was very bad about doing this.

I totally agree with you Betty P. I think what really needs to happen with this case is, police need to go right back to square one, and re-interview EVERYONE they interviewed in 1992 and beyond, as well as take another look at any evidence or information that had possibly been collected from 1992 and beyond, and see if it leads them in the same direction. I don't think when they've assigned people to stay on this case over the years, that the people have really dug into the investigation like they would have if it was a fresh case. The have said that the information from the initial investigation is in boxes and fills an entire small room at the PD. Personally I think that the answer, or at least some of them, are in those box's of evidence, but have just been overlooked, downplayed, or not properly connected. Remember, they do have some evidence that was never released to the public. As at least one example, Garrison was said by police to have given them information that they already knew about, that had not been released to the public. And I'm sure there is more evidence that police never released to the public as well. They sealed the return on the search warrant for the Robb farm as another example, so we don't know if they found anything of value or not. Nor do we know the same about the other properties they searched. I've wondered if they took the time to process some of the items that were in the house or some of the things they collected such as the shards of the broken porch globe, if newer technology such as Touch DNA would possibly reveal any new evidence.

If they did anything with evidence that they did in this article it will make it that much harder. I know a new group looked at it in 2012. I really hope some of them are still looking at it because I just don’t think the SPD is equipped to solve it.

Edit to finish because for some reason not all posted.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you Betty P. I think what really needs to happen with this case is, police need to go right back to square one, and re-interview EVERYONE they interviewed in 1992 and beyond, as well as take another look at any evidence or information that had possibly been collected from 1992 and beyond, and see if it leads them in the same direction. I don't think when they've assigned people to stay on this case over the years, that the people have really dug into the investigation like they would have if it was a fresh case. The have said that the information from the initial investigation is in boxes and fills an entire small room at the PD. Personally I think that the answer, or at least some of them, are in those box's of evidence, but have just been overlooked, downplayed, or not properly connected. Remember, they do have some evidence that was never released to the public. As at least one example, Garrison was said by police to have given them information that they already knew about, that had not been released to the public. And I'm sure there is more evidence that police never released to the public as well. They sealed the return on the search warrant for the Robb farm as another example, so we don't know if they found anything of value or not. Nor do we know the same about the other properties they searched. I've wondered if they took the time to process some of the items that were in the house or some of the things they collected such as the shards of the broken porch globe, if newer technology such as Touch DNA would possibly reveal any new evidence.

Based on this latest news story, its possible some evidence they gathered hasn't been tested. Some of it may have been thrown away.

If they did anything with evidence that they did in this article it will make it that much harder. I know a new group looked at it in 2012. I really hope some of them are still looking at it because I just don’t think the SPD is equipped to solve it.

Edit to finish because for some reason not all posted.
You are absolutely correct. I can't for the life of me remember what the group of investigators is called, but they are a group of (I think) retired and some still active top notch investigators, and I remember reading that after they were done looking at the case, they gave Springfield PD a list of things they thought warranted either initial investigation, or further investigation. However, Springfield PD hasn't seemed to have either had any luck with those recommendations, or done anything with them. Which ever the case may be. I hate to say it, but a lot of cops are just plain lazy. I've heard people in the profession state that time and time again, especially when it pertains to cases that weren't initially solved, but later reopened as a cold case and subsequently solved.

Based on this latest news story, its possible some evidence they gathered hasn't been tested. Some of it may have been thrown away.
That wouldn't surprise me. I've wondered if they still have the women's purses and the contents of the purses. With the new Touch DNA there is a possibility even 26-years later, if they were stored correctly, they could detect DNA evidence. I have also wished that they had preserved the front screen door, and all of the access doors to the house, as well as their cars, and may be some other items that the person(s) who committed the crime may have touched, now that the new technology for DNA detection has been developed. May have helped solve the case. But I doubt that the purses were preserved in evidence, but rather turned back over with the families at some point.

The problem with the sexual assault angle is there is no sign of one.

But we do know the front door wasn’t forced so it’s more than likely Suzie or Sherill let the perp in ..

Sherill’s room wasn’t it’s neat and tidy self so it looks like somebody went through her room.

Purses rummaged though but seemingly nothing taken.

From the outside looking in this looks like somebody was looking for something in that home. It doesn’t scream sexual assault.

That is definitely a mis-direct, IMO .

Excellent idea !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member