Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted and murdered, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father of Hania Aguilar, Killed at 13, Is Denied Funeral Visa
The father of the girl, 13-year-old Hania Aguilar, traveled to the United States Embassy in Guatemala City on Monday and asked for expedited approval for a visa to fly to the United States. The father, Noé Aguilar, was denied on the spot because American officials worried he lacked strong ties to Guatemala, his native country, and might not return, according to his lawyer, Naimeh Salem.

“To tell you the truth, with past administrations, we never had a problem like this,” Ms. Salem, an immigration lawyer based in Texas, said in an interview. “With this administration, most everything that is discretionary is getting denied.”

As the news of Mr. Aguilar’s denial was reported on Thursday in North Carolina, some high-ranking state politicians pledged to help. Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, wrote a letter asking for the State Department to reconsider the father’s application, Ms. Salem said, and the office of Representative Mark Meadows, a Republican, intervened as well.

In his visa application, Mr. Aguilar stated that he owned a business in Guatemala and had no intentions of staying in the United States after the funeral, Ms. Salem said. But embassy officials denied his request because he had a low bank balance, she said.

“He has no negative immigration history,” Ms. Salem said. “No deportation.”

Mr. Aguilar lived in the United States when his daughter was an infant but moved back to Guatemala around 2005, she said.
This disgusts me beyond words!This is what we have become! Shame on us for allowing this!

:( Hania Aguilar's father denied visa to attend her funeral - CNN
When 13-year-old Hania Aguilar is laid to rest in North Carolina on Saturday her father will be nearly 3,000 miles away.

The US State Department has denied a temporary visa for Noé Aguilar to travel from Guatemala to attend services for his teenage daughter, according to the father's attorney.

"I had hoped they would find it in their hearts to let me be there for my daughter's funeral," Aguilar told CNN in a brief phone interview Friday.

"It's very sad. She was my princess. She will always be my princess."

Immigration attorney Naimeh Salem said US embassy officials in Guatemala denied the temporary visa on grounds that Aguilar "didn't have enough ties to his home country, Guatemala."

"That is not true," she said. "He has family there and his own business."

Dad of murdered NC girl Hania Aguilar is refused US visa to attend daughter’s funeral
Services for Hania Aguilar, the 13-year-old girl kidnapped and murdered in Lumberton, North Carolina are set for Saturday. But her Guatemalan father will not be allowed into the United States to attend the funeral, WPDE reports.

“The problem is Slain and Murdered Hania Aguilar’s father is in Guatemala and he needs permission to be Expedited to the United States in order to see his daughter one last time, say his goodbyes and attend her funeral. No parent should be denied the right to attend their child’s funeral- especially when Hania was a Citizen-born in Tennessee,” the petition started by Monique Cespedes reads.

People continued to add their names to the petition Thursday, which is addressed to the Department of Homeland Security, the Guatemalan Embassy, President Donald Trump and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, among others.

People left notes of support for Hania’s father on the online petition site. “Its the right thing to do. He needs to be here to say good bye to his daughter that had her life taken by a selfish person,” Diane Champion wrote.

Patricia Cote said, “Compassion is allowing a parent to attend their child’s funeral. Treat others as you would like to be treated in the same situation. Use your heart and not fear as a guideline.”

This disgusts me beyond words!..
ITA. He was in US until 2005 then left for Guatemala. If he left in 2005 what makes anybody think he will stay here if allowed to come? It's heartless to not allow him to attend a funeral for his own daughter.
"Mr. Aguilar lived in the United States when his daughter was an infant but moved back to Guatemala around 2005, she said."
Father of Hania Aguilar, Killed at 13, Is Denied Funeral Visa

I just heard on the televised WRAL-News, that the Governor of NC is trying to see that Hania's father be allowed to come to his daughter's funeral. If I find an article about this, or similar, I will post it.

I just heard on the televised WRAL-News, that the Governor of NC is trying to see that Hania's father be allowed to come to his daughter's funeral. If I find an article about this, or similar, I will post it.
It's already posted here. The funeral is tomorrow. I think it's a good bet it won't happen.

I just moved about 50 miles from Lumberton a few months ago. I was speaking with a couple of acquaintances after Hania disappeared and their immediate statement was that a couple of other women have died there in the past year or so. I think one of them is the person in this article: Family of woman found dead in Lumberton last year still holding out hope. And here is another article from Inside Edition: Lumberton Has Sordid History of Violence

Could there be a serial killer in the area?
First of all,

Welcome to Websleuths, singlemom!!

I grew up in L'ton, and some things there haven't changed much while other things have changed quite a bit. There were many more employment opportunities there 30 -- 40 years ago -- several textile and manufacturing plants, retail businesses, other service businesses, etc. Same problems many other towns have.

Now Robeson has more poor communities than before -- lots of rural small-farming areas where it is difficult to stay ahead of the bill collectors and to keep up with the cost of living, and of course it's similar in the in-town areas there as well. We all know when young people aren't able to find jobs or to go away to college, bad things can happen. People just don't have a lot of money, and that can lead to all kinds of behavior. So there we are.

I do not think there is a serial killer in L'ton -- I just think there are some "bad dudes" who came from hard times perhaps; many of them don't have jobs, or they have jobs which don't pay well, etc. This type situation is a rich breeding ground for gangs to come in and to get bad things started, and to do things to get quick easy money, and there are always drugs, drugs, drugs and prostitution, robbery, etc., etc. I don't think the towns or the county has the funds to keep up with all the bad things that are happening (what city or county does?) I don't know what Robeson Co. has to offer regarding trying to keep younger kids interested in staying in school, or if there are resources for after-school programs, health and mental health clinics, helping adults learn the skills that are needed for employment today, etc. I have been out of L'ton for a couple of decades, and very, very few of my school friends are still there, and my family is no longer there, so I have no real attachments or reason to return.

I was inadvertantly exposed to some of the toxic rumors through an online connection--it was some of the vilest, cruelest, stupidest poison I've ever seen directed at the family of a victim. My God. Makes me even more thankful for the restrained climate here. Thank you Trish and crew!
Ohhhh okay. I wasn't aware of all that. Now I understand why LE was so passionate about putting a stop to the rumors.

Narrative from above WRAL story...34-year-old man charged with kidnap, rape, murder of Hania Aguilar :: WRAL.com
A 34-year-old man already in police custody was charged early Saturday with the kidnapping, rape and murder of Hania Augilar, whose abduction from her Lumberton front yard and disappearance riveted the state for three weeks until her body was found in a nearby pond.
Lumberton police charged Michael Ray McLellan with 10 felonies:
  • first-degree murder,
  • first-degree forcible rape and statutory rape of a person 15 or younger,
  • first-degree sex offense and statutory sex offense with a person 15 or younger,
  • first-degree kidnapping,
  • larceny,
  • restraint,
  • abduction of a child and
  • concealment of a death.
Neither the FBI nor Lumberton police said specifically what led them to link McLellan to Hania's disappearance and death.

McLellan was being held in Robeson County Jail on an unrelated kidnapping charge when authorities added the charges in Hania's case. He is being held without bond and is expected to make a first court appearance on those charges on Monday.

Last edited:
FBI arrest man in connection with the killing of Hania Aguilar

"The FBI’s Lab at Quantico conducted a forensic exam of the stolen SUV, recovered on November 8, 2018. The North Carolina State Crime Lab provided preliminary test results on Hania’s body, located on November 27, 2018. The results of those tests, including some received on December 7, 2018, and a thorough criminal investigation resulted in the current charges."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member