CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the scheduled text apps I am aware of can only send the phone a reminder “push notification” to post the scheduled text. They cannot actually post them without the user seeing the reminder and clicking to post it. Scheduled is a new app that lets you schedule your text messages

Does anyone know of an app that can pre-schedule posts and actually post them?

While I consider either the possibility that Kelsey herself texted these or that someone else did, I tend to think that someone had her phone in their hand and live texted in either case.

It would be interesting to know if Kelsey’s work or the fiancé responded to the texts and if the person using the phone responded back at all. It seems unlikely since it hasn’t been mentioned, but police could also be withholding the content of any texts as they seek to verify them.

I have an APP on my phone which can send text messages at a specific time in the future. My phone just has to be on. The message is still coming from my phone.

To put this situation in perspective, it is very hard in 2018 to voluntarily disappear without a trace. Even if she destroyed her cell phone, she would need money to live. Unless she accumulated a large amount of cash or made a large withdrawal, she would need to use a debit or credit card. If she checked into some kind of rehab facility she would have had to have a fake name and a form of payment. I am sure LE has thoroughly checked these things and is monitoring her accounts.

About the only way she could pull this off is if she had someone helping her so she did not leave any trace.
And even if she had someone with her, who bankrolled the trip, they would likely show up on camera somewhere...eventually...if we knew where to look.

Most of the scheduled text apps I am aware of can only send the phone a reminder “push notification” to post the scheduled text. They cannot actually post them without the user seeing the reminder and clicking to post it. Scheduled is a new app that lets you schedule your text messages

While I consider either the possibility that Kelsey herself texted these or that someone else did, I tend to think that someone had her phone in their hand and live texted in either case.

It would be interesting to know if Kelsey’s work or the fiancé responded to the texts and if the person using the phone responded back at all. It seems unlikely since it hasn’t been mentioned, but police could also be withholding the content of any texts as they seek to verify them.

I just tried it on my phone (Android) with the factory built-in text messaging and it sent without a notification. That's why this is driving me crazy.

I agree it would be nice to know if there was a back and forth text conversation, but it doesn't seem like that was the case.

I just tried it on my phone (Android) with the factory built-in text messaging and it sent without a notification. That's why this is driving me crazy.

I agree it would be nice to know if there was a back and forth text conversation, but it doesn't seem like that was the case.
Ok, thanks. That is helpful. Has anyone seen what kind of phone Kelsey has? I saw her provider was Verizon. I would like to see if the phone company had a way of verifying whether the text was sent as a scheduled text or a live 1. At the very least, they could probably see her download history to see if a scheduled app had been downloaded. But in that case, to download it, the person would need her account password too...

Can you share the name of the app? I would like to look into whether the phone company can distinguish scheduled texts from a live text?

The OP wasn't mine, and this may not help, but I have an app called message+ . If you search in Google play store it will come up as Verizon messages.

ETA, my phone can be powered off and the scheduled message will still be received on the other end.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. That is helpful. Has anyone seen what kind of phone Kelsey has? I saw her provider was Verizon. I would like to see if the phone company had a way of verifying whether the text was sent as a scheduled text or a live 1. At the very least, they could probably see her download history to see if a scheduled app had been downloaded. But in that case, to download it, the person would need her account password too...
I have Verizon and it's their App called Message+ so it may have been already on KB's phone from the factory. Now we just have to figure out if they can tell if the message was a scheduled one or not in her records.

I agree there are ways to schedule a text message at a later time but the problem I have is wouldnt the phone have to be on all the time if it was lets say attached to the underside of a Semi or something.

So in that case then would there not be occasional Pings all along the way if the phone was on the whole time?

Roaming type pings as the phone picks up other roaming towers along the way.

LE may have much more about the pings and just did not share them with us so maybe there was.

Or is it possible the phone was purposely flown or driven while it was off and then someone turned it on once in that last town and sent the texts and then trashed the phone and got rid of the phone.

If the latter happened then its possible the perp was either working with someone else who could help them establish an alibi or they managed to get back quickly on their own which is also possible if a plane was used.

I hope the FBI is all over this as this type of research could be the answer to this case. That last ping of the phones location could be the key to breaking this case.

Please consider becoming verified so we are able to acknowledge your relationship to Kelsey. This is only for her protection and those of her loved ones. I’m sure you can provide great insight into who Kelsey is as a person, which seems lovely from what I’ve gathered.
Not sure what happened but in an earlier post she did send into be verified.

I agree there are ways to schedule a text message at a later time but the problem I have is wouldnt the phone have to be on all the time if it was lets say attached to the underside of a Semi or something.

So in that case then would there not be occasional Pings all along the way if the phone was on the whole time?

LE may have much more about the pings and just did not share them with us so maybe there was.

Or is it possible the phone was purposely flown or driven while it was off and then someone turned it on once in that last town and sent the texts and then trashed the phone and got rid of the phone.

If the latter happened then its possible the perp was either working with someone else who could help them establish an alibi or they managed to get back quickly on their own which is also possible if a plane was used.

I hope the FBI is all over this as this type of research could be the answer to this case. That last ping of the phones location could be the key to breaking this case.

I agree with you. While it is possible the phone was pinging the whole time, but police only disclosed the “last ping,” the idea that the phone’s battery would last as it drove that far and that someone would go to the trouble of pre-scheduling texts seems a bit far fetched.

In rare cases, a smart person IS that calculated. But in most the cases, the most likely explanation (that a human texted while having the device in their hand) is going to be what happened.

Awesome post!!

Here’s what I have found so far. It doesn’t address whether Verizon can tell the difference between a scheduled message or a live 1, but it does mention an interesting feature called Glympse in which the phone user can choose whether to make their location “known” and for how long to make it known and to whom. Verizon Messages (Message+) FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Again, I think it’s wayyyy more likely that a human being texted from her phone. But I will still check to see if I can find any more info on scheduled texts vs. live ones.

Also...if they could just find her on one camera, all these questions and rabbit trails could quickly become obsolete. I am praying they can.

I have seen someone mention on another site they can send a text and make it look like it is being sent from another location via the use of something like a VPN? Anyone know if this is true?

In the age of being able to spoof almost any location, I would think this would be possible.

However, in regards to the text, I thought LE had the data in hand regarding the cell phone ping data coming from near Gooding. While the message itself can be spoofed, I don't think you can fake the actual data collected at the tower.

JMO
I sadly think #2 and here is why:

She went to the store that morning to do a little shopping apparantly and in video all seemed normal. She did not look distressed or upset or in a rush.

Fresh baked Cinamon Buns left out. Anyone who goes through the trouble to bake usually will put them up so they dont go stale.

There were no clothes packed or luggage missing or anything like that according to the brother. The only thing apparantly missing was her and her purse.

Her Mom said it would be totally out of her character to go away and not tell someone of her plans.

Both cars left in driveway.

She went missing around Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving and main holidays like that seem to bring on relationship disasters in other cases. We have seen that too many times in other cases where a main holiday precipitates something bad happening. Emotions get high on holidays for most everyone (good and bad emotions).

All this and more indicates sadly to me that #2 is more likely. I hope Im wrong.
I agree - I just watched the Scott Peterson documentary on Hulu last night and it was interesting how LE jumped right in and although he was guilty, let them search right away.

Here’s what I have found so far. It doesn’t address whether Verizon can tell the difference between a scheduled message or a live 1, but it does mention an interesting feature called Glympse in which the phone user can choose whether to make their location “known” and for how long to make it known and to whom. Verizon Messages (Message+) FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I have that service and have used the Glympse feature. Basically what it does is allows me to send someone a GPS like tracking feature to someone through a text message. I have sent it to my husband before and it will open a map for him on his phone that would show him I'm at Walmart or wherever and then as long as I leave it active he can see wherever I go on a map after that.

Again, I think it’s wayyyy more likely that a human being texted from her phone. But I will still check to see if I can find any more info on scheduled texts vs. live ones.

Also...if they could just find her on one camera, all these questions and rabbit trails could quickly become obsolete. I am praying they can.

I was just emailing with my Verizon business rep., William K., regarding the live vs. scheduled texts and he said

"Typically yes they can see as much as possible when there is a court order in play, things that go though our system."

So that makes me feel a little more at ease, that is, if LE would be looking for that distinction in the text records.

I agree.

If we are being fair, there is so much we don’t know that the outcome may be something we never discussed.

For example, Kelsey could (hypothetically) have a new love interest her mom was not aware of. Perhaps she went off on a weekend trip with that guy and was met with foul play...or perhaps when she returned to pick up the baby, her fiancé refused and they got into an argument.

Not saying these are likely, but just pointing out the range of possibilities that are out there in the absence of more facts.
There is also the possibility that she did go on a drive with someone and that both of them are stranded somewhere due to an accident that made their vehicle difficult to locate in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member