Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 hour ago..
New role for lead investigator in Sherman murders | The Star
"The recently promoted Toronto police officer leading the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation is also now running the force’s citywide operations centre, police have confirmed.

Whether this is a sign that the investigation is wrapping up or at a standstill, is not explained in any of the public information the Star has been able to obtain regarding the case. Toronto police maintain the Sherman probe is “active” — but it’s lead investigator is now wearing a senior officer’s uniform and no longer working in homicide."

1 hour ago..
New role for lead investigator in Sherman murders | The Star
"The recently promoted Toronto police officer leading the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation is also now running the force’s citywide operations centre, police have confirmed.

Whether this is a sign that the investigation is wrapping up or at a standstill, is not explained in any of the public information the Star has been able to obtain regarding the case. Toronto police maintain the Sherman probe is “active” — but it’s lead investigator is now wearing a senior officer’s uniform and no longer working in homicide."

I assume, dotr, what you posted here is the heart of the story.

Thanks for posting.

Get the impression the case just got another degree colder, but who knows.

I assume, dotr, what you posted here is the heart of the story.

Thanks for posting.

Get the impression the case just got another degree colder, but who knows.
Just posted the available bit, unsure if it is the heart of the story or not, but things seem very quiet- almost makes me optimistic that something big is brewing and about to bubble over. imo.

I don't think we need any conspiracy theories to explain why TPS perhaps haven't been investigating things as seriously as they perhaps should have, or should be, (ie not bothering to speak to the 2nd pathologist who did the second autopsies, failing to dust prints and match shoe prints and vacuum trace evidence from around the pool area, not bothering to interview people who were there at the time the bodies were discovered, and in the days preceding, why the CCTV from outside of APO was not viewed until much later, etc. and etc. and etc.), after reading this article. Just disgusting and inexcusable, imo. Seems to just be what they do (or don't do):

In May 2013, as the Babcock investigation was underway, Carbone says his team started looking into the suicide of Wayne Millard. They learned that police had seized a .32-calibre revolver found beside the 71-year-old's bed. The gun had been swabbed, but the swabs were never tested.

The results of the tests -- later ordered by Carbone -- came back with two pieces of DNA on the gun's handle: one unknown and one belonging to Dellen Millard. Wayne Millard's DNA was not on the gun.

"It should have been submitted (for analysis)," says Carbone.

Homicide investigators later found that the gun had changed hands several times until Matthew Ward-Jackson, a weapons dealer nicknamed "Iisho," sold it to Millard the day before Babcock vanished.

The coroner, Dr. David Evans, testified earlier this year that he told officers at the scene about the unusual "election site" -- the name given to the location where people who die by suicide shoot themselves. Wayne Millard died by a bullet through his left eyeball that entered his brain.

"That was a red flag," Carbone says, adding police should have dug deeper.

Two days after Wayne Millard was found dead, the coroner officially deemed it a suicide.

'It was a long, long five years,' says lead detective in two Millard probes

For those unfamiliar with this case, this was a second murder, and when it wasn't caught, the killer went on to kill a third victim. The first case was botched too (see above article). In fact it wasn't until the third murder, which happened in Hamilton police jurisdiction, that all of this started to come together and the killer is now serving a 75 year sentence (3x25 year consecutive).

Tell me it wasn't prudent for the Sherman family to hire their own team, even if ONLY to keep TPS on its toes, nevermind to find the killer(s) and to come to the correct method of death. Seems obvious they need some help. imo.

I am trying decide if the promotion of Susan Gomes, who has been the lead investigator on the Sherman case, is a sign that the case has reached a crucial point, and possibly charges will be laid soon.

People are usually promoted because they have done an excellent job in their last posting. They have likely completed the tasks assigned to them and reached the goals set for them. If that is the case with Gomes, then I believe (wishfully maybe) that there will be a break in the case soon.

If a person has not done a good job, the promotion/move is usually a lateral one, not one with more command power.

I am trying decide if the promotion of Susan Gomes, who has been the lead investigator on the Sherman case, is a sign that the case has reached a crucial point, and possibly charges will be laid soon.

People are usually promoted because they have done an excellent job in their last posting. They have likely completed the tasks assigned to them and reached the goals set for them. If that is the case with Gomes, then I believe (wishfully maybe) that there will be a break in the case soon.

If a person has not done a good job, the promotion/move is usually a lateral one, not one with more command power.

I'm wrestling with the volume of cases playing a role in the errors made in recent cases.

Just stands to reason a higher volume would create staffing/man-hours issues.

We've heard nothing on the Staikos case and that's disturbing; cameras aplenty, a car captured by them...and yet I have read comments suggesting the perps will likely never be caught.

That's hard to accept.

Will 2019 present some breakthroughs?

Not to disagree with Satchie. But I do recall in the early days after the bodies were discovered that msm reported that a technician from the home alarm/security company was at the house and was assisting police with obtainingdata etc. from the alarm or security system. Perhaps this was the pool video system or a house security system, I do not think that was ever finalized. But definitely there were reports and postings on this thread regarding the alarm technician being at the house.
I found one post where the alarm technician was at the Sherman home:
Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #2

I'm wrestling with the volume of cases playing a role in the errors made in recent cases.

Just stands to reason a higher volume would create staffing/man-hours issues.

We've heard nothing on the Staikos case and that's disturbing; cameras aplenty, a car captured by them...and yet I have read comments suggesting the perps will likely never be caught.

That's hard to accept.

Will 2019 present some breakthroughs?

As reported elsewhere, earlier this year Hank Idsinga, previously Lead Detective on the McArthur murders became Acting Head of Homicide and recently that appointment became official.

Detective in charge of Bruce McArthur case ‘one of the best investigators’ with Toronto police | The Star
Mike McCormack, head of the Toronto Police Association, said Idsinga is “one of the best investigators” on the force. He described Idsinga as thorough, meticulous and thoughtful.

He has the respect of all the men and women who have worked with him over the years,” McCormack said.“

It’s been a tough year for TPS, policing, a high stress job.

Toronto's record homicide year marked by 'senseless' violence, top investigator says | CBC News
“.....Toronto grabbed worldwide attention in 2018 for a string of high-profile slayings:
  • The ongoing investigation into the killing of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman.
  • The arrest of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur that rocked the city's gay community.
  • A van attack that left 10 dead and wounded a dozen on bustling Yonge Street.
  • A shooting rampage on Danforth Avenue in the heart of Toronto's Greektown.
Other brazen shootings in Toronto's public places — the entertainment district, a popular downtown destination and, perhaps most shockingly, a playground where two young sisters were wounded — thrust the issue of gun violence into the spotlight. Gun-related killings account for more than half of all homicides this year.....

.....On Nov. 14, after nearly a month without a killing, Toronto hit 89 homicides.

Four days later, a new all-time high
was set as the city climbed past its deadly record that stood unbroken for nearly three decades. This forced police and government officials to re-evaluate their approach to gun violence, and sparked calls from the municipal and federal governments for a ban on handguns within city limits.....”

@Alice Ramnit,

I understand you have sound knowledge on the topic of domestic abuse. Good posters here told me so.

Multiple posters in May were adamant - some still are - that the Sherman case is a domestic violence case that ended with M-S.

Claims were made the couple didn't get along or hadn't in a long time.

I'm no expert but I understood that typically the level of violence between a couple where abuse is present, escalates over time.

I am aware of no reports of domestic violence in the Sherman household, ever.

If there was no previous incident or incidents, I have strong doubt a quantum leap was made from frustration or anger - all marriages have some - to murder.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
@Alice Ramnit,

I understand you have sound knowledge on the topic of domestic abuse. Good posters here told me so.

Multiple posters in May were adamant - some still are - that the Sherman case is a domestic violence case that ended with M-S.

Claims were made the couple didn't get along or hadn't in a long time.

I'm no expert but I understood that typically the level of violence between a couple where abuse is present, escalates over time.

I am aware of no reports of domestic violence in the Sherman household, ever.

If there was no previous incident or incidents, I have strong doubt a quantum leap was made from frustration or anger - all marriages have some - to murder.

Any thoughts on this?

What’s the source for this?

“Claims were made the couple didn't get along or hadn't in a long time.”

I have personally wondered if this was more in fact something like a 'lateral move'. It was noted that SG is 'back in uniform'. I understand that her new role requires this, but.. I have this little niggling inside my brain that wonders if it was *said* to be a promotion when it really wasn't a promotion at all, but for obvious reasons, they don't want it splashed all over the world. Same as for Det Price. He will supposedly head up the investigation at some later time? Really? Hmm. Hope not.

What’s the source for this?

“Claims were made the couple didn't get along or hadn't in a long time.”

This board. Various posters.

Some were 'drive-by' comments - made by posters who apparently haven't stuck with the case -- and some from posters still quite attentive, day to day.

There were also posts from people like myself, who noted that it seemed obvious that H wore the pants in that house, and that perhaps B was somewhat 'whipped'.. which, I believe, is very very common in many marriages, based on what I have seen personally over my lifetime (which isn't all that short). .... however, that was taken to more outreaching levels by some members, to assume that B was unhappy with that arrangement, and perhaps resented her control, perhaps even allowing anger to fester until some point when there may have been a big and sudden snap.

Perhaps in some cases, some people may put too much emphasis on how they might react to something personally, and no other possibilities can exist, whereas others might keep a more open mind in that people and relationships are different for everyone, and many men have been known to live quite happily with such a relationship until their deaths in old age after decades of marriage. jmo.

I have personally wondered if this was more in fact something like a 'lateral move'. It was noted that SG is 'back in uniform'. I understand that her new role requires this, but.. I have this little niggling inside my brain that wonders if it was *said* to be a promotion when it really wasn't a promotion at all, but for obvious reasons, they don't want it splashed all over the world. Same as for Det Price. He will supposedly head up the investigation at some later time? Really? Hmm. Hope not.

Agree. I think within TPS any move that isn't a demotion, is a promotion.
Its just a change of position but being paramilitary, they call it a promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01