IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the book have details in it that haven't before been released? Also, from the day I learned about the case and saw Amy being interviewed, I felt she had some type of axe to grind with Jodi. She just seemed very snarly when she talked about her. Has she ever been named as a suspect?

It’s a really good book and there’s some interesting stuff in there that hasn’t been talked about by the general public or in papers.
jmo

According to the book, a neighbor says, she heard a woman yell Ron, John, or something similar in the parking lot around the time JH was leaving for work.
jmo
MmHmm. Which would NOT be consistent with the stranger/serial rapist scenario. So many things point at one suspect long ago identified by police as a POI - name sounding like that said to have been called out by JH when attacked, supposed short-fuse temper, owned vehicle type matching one seen idling with running lights on in lot at precise 4:30am time of attack, knew the Key Apts and neighborhood very well, motive (attraction, perhaps even obsession), presence in JH's life in last hours, lack of solid alibi, suspect demeanor in immediate wake, even an injury on hand that may be consistent with JH's struggle against attacker. And who was that man mysteriously said to have been heard pounding on JH's apt door and calling for JH by name just hours before she disappeared? Seems likely candidate to be the next morn's perp.

Last edited:
MmHmm. Which would NOT be consistent with the stranger/serial rapist scenario. So many things point at one suspect long ago identified by police as a POI - name sounding like that said to have been called out by JH when attacked, supposed bad temper, vehicle, motive, presence in JH's life in last hours, lack of solid alibi, suspect demeanor, even an injury on hand that may be consistent with JH's struggle against attacker.

He’s #1 on my suspect list too, but interesting enough the name “Ron” could also be the ex husband of a certain producer that took over for Jodi as well.

At the Key Apts, circa 1995, was it necessary for residents to need a card/key to access the building, in addition to and separate from key to access individual unit?

If so, wondering how the guy pounding on door to Jodi's unit hours before she was attacked gained access to the building. Perhaps a current resident, but maybe a former resident?

Last edited:
MmHmm. Which would NOT be consistent with the stranger/serial rapist scenario. So many things point at one suspect long ago identified by police as a POI - name sounding like that said to have been called out by JH when attacked, supposed short-fuse temper, owned vehicle type matching one seen idling with running lights on in lot at precise 4:30am time of attack, knew the Key Apts and neighborhood very well, motive (attraction, perhaps even obsession), presence in JH's life in last hours, lack of solid alibi, suspect demeanor in immediate wake, even an injury on hand that may be consistent with JH's struggle against attacker. And who was that man mysteriously said to have been heard pounding on JH's apt door and calling for JH by name just hours before she disappeared? Seems likely candidate to be the next morn's perp.

Exactly!

At the Key Apts, circa 1995, was it necessary for residents to need a card/key to access the building, in addition to and separate from key to access individual unit?

If so, wondering how the guy pounding on door to Jodi's unit hours before she was attacked gained access to the building. Former resident of the building, perhaps?

I’m not sure, but I don’t think a key was needed to access the hallway to the apartments. Even if a key/card was needed boat guy was a former resident of the Key Apts.

48 Hours recently released for the first time footage made in 1995, eleven days after Jodi was attacked and abducted. Check out this particular screen grab (again, this is from already nationally televised material) from the 48 Hours show:

JV1995 (1).png

What do you make of this?

Last edited:
Well, I like him immensely as a suspect so it looks suspicious to me however, he is on a boat and could have simply bummed up his hand doing boat things. Good sleuthing, israk, good catch!

Yeah, could be. Looks like that is a subungual hematoma emerging from base of nail on middle finger of right hand. The thumb on that hand looks damaged, too. I'd suppose the cops questioned him about these at the time, but who knows.

Subungual hematoma - Wikipedia

Last edited:
48 Hours recently released for the first time footage made in 1995, eleven days after Jodi was attacked and abducted. Check out this particular screen grab (again, this is from already nationally televised material) from the 48 Hours show:

View attachment 162270

What do you make of this?
It is my understanding that the MCPD in the weeks following the attack on and abduction of JH interviewed JV, who had been identified by police as a POI in the case.

CBS '48 Hours' revisits Arizona connection in missing Jodi Huisentruit case

They’ve interviewed me twice, but they haven’t made any indication that I’m a suspect,” Vansice told the media in 1995.

I'm wondering if, in conjunction with those interviews, they'd made note of the apparent subungual hematoma (presumably attributable to some form of recent damage to the finger) visible on finger nail on JV's right hand 11 days after JH was attacked? And the thumb, which doesn't look right. Of course, damage could certainly be attributable to any number of things completely unrelated to the case. Just wondering if MCPD noted it at the time.

It is my understanding that the MCPD in the weeks following the attack on and abduction of JH interviewed JV, who had been identified by police as a POI in the case.

CBS '48 Hours' revisits Arizona connection in missing Jodi Huisentruit case

They’ve interviewed me twice, but they haven’t made any indication that I’m a suspect,” Vansice told the media in 1995.

I'm wondering if, in conjunction with those interviews, they'd made note of the apparent subungual hematoma (presumably attributable to some form of recent damage to the finger) visible on finger nail on JV's right hand 11 days after JH was attacked? And the thumb, which doesn't look right. Of course, damage could certainly be attributable to any number of things completely unrelated to the case. Just wondering if MCPD noted it at the time.

They made several notes regarding JV. One of which was Police records indicate that JV met a friend at a convenience store at 7:00 AM the 27th and told the friend that Jodi was gone. This was 14 minutes before the welfare check was called in to MCPD by Kimt. They also noticed when JV showed up at the police station around 10:30 that morning with the video tape for evidence he was badly shaken and could only remember his name was John when asked. His married lady friend that he walked with stated back then that she called JV when he didn’t appear for their 6:00 walk and that he didn’t seem awakened by the call but that he seemed preoccupied. Since he was already late for the walk and showed up at the convenience store at 7:00 by himself it must have been a pretty short walk that morning. Supposedly JV had been trying to contact Jodi that morning to see if she wanted to go water skiing that afternoon.

Last edited:
They made several notes regarding JV. One of which was Police records indicate that JV met a friend at a convenience store at 7:00 AM the 27th and told the friend that Jodi was gone. This was 14 minutes before the welfare check was called in to MCPD by Kimt. They also noticed when JV showed up at the police station around 10:30 that morning with the video tape for evidence he was badly shaken and could only remember his name was John when asked. His married lady friend that he walked with stated back then that she called JV when he didn’t appear for their 6:00 walk and that he didn’t seem awakened by the call but that he seemed preoccupied. Since he was already late for the walk and showed up at the convenience store at 7:00 by himself it must have been a pretty short walk that morning. Supposedly JV had been trying to contact Jodi that morning to see if she wanted to go water skiing that afternoon.

This is some very interesting material, Wisdom. Would you happen to know if there is a link/source for any of it?

Various sources yes...but nothing linkable. All 100% facts. Years before Jim Feldhaus passed I spent a lot of time brainstorming and working with him on this case.
Wow. I did not know these things. Starting to understand why JV is apparently - based on warrants in last few years - still on the radar of MCPD after all these years.

It’s stated in the book, “Dead Air’.

Early Tuesday morning, before police received the call to check on Jodi at the Key Apartments, John Vansice had called another female friend to inform her that he would be unable to meet her for their usual early morning walk. He offered no explanation. Then, at about seven o’clock that morning, just before the police received their initial summons, Vansice reportedly ran into another friend at a local convenience store and informed him, “Jodi is gone.” When asked what he meant by that cryptic remark, Vansice said, “She didn’t show up for work this morning. We gotta get over to her apartment.” It’s not clear how he knew Jodi was gone and had never arrived at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa