NY NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

I have recently come across newspaper articles written about one of the detectives who worked the case. He and his partner believed up until the days that they died that her father was responsible for her disappearance. One of the detectives noted that a year after Cynthia went missing they visited the home and found that her father had just poured a new concrete floor in the basement. I would love for the SCPD to take GPR down there and do a sweep for any disturbances in the soil.
Oh wow.. I had never hear this.. very interesting.. Does the same family still live in the house?..

Recently I have read about a few different people that had gone missing years ago on long island. They had rumors of being in the basement of the house they lived at or were last seen at.. Just recently in the last year the Rumors came true.. Makes me really wonder about Cynthia..

Perhaps the case is connected with that of Wanda Maldonado, 9, who was last seen alive about 7pm Friday, July 4, 1969, while playing hide and seek in front of her house at 598 Belmont Avenue, East New York, Brooklyn. Her body was found Wednesday, July 9, 1969, in an unused railroad cut in a Long Island railroad yard near the intersection of Liberty and Junius Avenues. An attempt was made to hide her unclothed body by piling her clothes and a wooden crate on top of her in a shallow grave that had been dug. Some young boys playing in the railroad yard apparently accidentally knocked the crate over, uncovering the body.

Maldonado had come with her family to New York from Puerto Rico just six months before she was murdered, and the family knew little English. A man in a white car with NY plates was reported to have tried to entice little girls into his car by offering candy shortly before Maldonado's murder. Maldonado was raped and strangled, and the medical examiner believed she was murdered within hours of her disappearance.
[Info from Friday, July 11, NY Daily News]

Perhaps the case is connected with that of Wanda Maldonado, 9, who was last seen alive about 7pm Friday, July 4, 1969, while playing hide and seek in front of her house at 598 Belmont Avenue, East New York, Brooklyn. Her body was found Wednesday, July 9, 1969, in an unused railroad cut in a Long Island railroad yard near the intersection of Liberty and Junius Avenues. An attempt was made to hide her unclothed body by piling her clothes and a wooden crate on top of her in a shallow grave that had been dug. Some young boys playing in the railroad yard apparently accidentally knocked the crate over, uncovering the body.

Maldonado had come with her family to New York from Puerto Rico just six months before she was murdered, and the family knew little English. A man in a white car with NY plates was reported to have tried to entice little girls into his car by offering candy shortly before Maldonado's murder. Maldonado was raped and strangled, and the medical examiner believed she was murdered within hours of her disappearance.
[Info from Friday, July 11, NY Daily News]
It’s a possibility. I also think that Cornelia June Enright May have been a victim of these killings.

I went on OakdaleNY.com and found the post that Cynthia’s brother posted:

Note: I did not find anything on Cynthia’s Disappearance on here.

Recollections

In 2010, William Constantine submitted the following memories:

The pictures of the bike shop are from the early 1960s'. My Dad and Mom are in full fire department dress in front of the bike shop (#35). The picture of my sister, me and my parents in front of our bike shop was taken just after a fire department parade. The first volunteer fire group in Oakdale. They were a division of the West Sayville fire department. Some of them (including my father), quit the department when West Sayville would not allow them to become an independent fire house. My parents owned the bike shop from 1956 to 1990. When my father died in 1990, my mother sold it to a guy who owned a moving and storage company. The white building in the background of my parent's picture (#35), looking Northwest was an apartment building. It was across the street from West Shore drive. There were 3 apartments in it. The owners expanded the upstairs front room sometime in the late 60s'. I had a childhood friend who lived in the front upstairs apartment. Harold Bishop was his name. Over the years, the front office of that building was rented to a number of businesses. When I was 5 or 6 years old, it was a real estate office. Then it was fish & chips. Then a fish & bait store. After that, it was an antique store and it was also vacant a number of times. Emil's Inn was not part of the train station, but you could drive up to it from the train station parking lot. Standing in front of it on Montauk Highway and looking off to the left was the Vanwheel's old property. The last time I was there, the house and garage were demolished. It used to be a beautiful place. It was a redwood home with yellow trim. Lots of pine trees and trimmed hedges. An old German couple (Ed. Peter's?) in their 70's owned it. I guess they had no family, so when they both passed, the state or town took over the property (Ed. we were told the town purchased it from the estate for $1 million). Next to Vanwheels to the left was Manfreddy's signs. They owned the small house in front that was rented out. The long narrow garage in the back was the sign shop. When they sold it sometime in the early 70's, the shop was turned into an antique store. (Ed. this sounds like the current Vincente property). Then off to the left again, you had that big empty stretch of thick woods across from the old bike shop. That was an empty field at one time. I used to fly kites and ride my motorcycle in that lot. To my knowledge, it has never been built on. Now, if you look at the old bike shop again, to the left of that was Fineburg's vegetable stand. My next door neighbor Bill Kline, rented the old house behind Fineburg's. To the left of his property was the US Surplus Supply store. You could buy used military clothes, tents, boating gear, bullets, knives, etc. It later became The Trading Post when the business changed hands. (Ed: This is Action Sports today). I also remember when Vanderbilt's old well was still out on Montauk Highway where the 7-11 now sits. The old Bronco Charlie's was the best place in town to eat. The insurance agency across from the train station at the intersection of Oakdale-Bohemia Road and Montauk Highway used to be Baker's Smoked Eels. When I was a young child, at night you would always hear the wiperwill bird singing in the woods. Hundreds of birds singing at dawn used to wake you up in the morning. It's sad how years of development have destroyed much of Oakdale's natural beauty.

“My parents owned the bike shop from 1956 to 1990. When my father died in 1990, my mother sold it to a guy who owned a moving and storage company.”

I’m guessing the Moving company still owns the former bikeshop because I haven’t found anything to indicate that they sold it. I don’t have a phone number but I want to know if they did anything to the basement after Cynthia’s mother sold it. I’m so not think Cynthia’s father is the one who is responsible for her disappearance but we need to check all possible leads. I want to know if they found any odd mysterious items like clothing or other things. I also want to ask if they’d be willing to ever let police search the basement.

“My parents owned the bike shop from 1956 to 1990. When my father died in 1990, my mother sold it to a guy who owned a moving and storage company.”

I’m guessing the Moving company still owns the former bikeshop because I haven’t found anything to indicate that they sold it. I don’t have a phone number but I want to know if they did anything to the basement after Cynthia’s mother sold it. I’m so not think Cynthia’s father is the one who is responsible for her disappearance but we need to check all possible leads. I want to know if they found any odd mysterious items like clothing or other things. I also want to ask if they’d be willing to ever let police search the basement.

The bike shop is now Parlour Hair Boutique.

I've mentioned other people from Oakdale who went missing in the time leading up to Cynthia's disappearance. Here are a few that I've been able to dig out of my records;

6/29/61 - Unnamed "Missing Boy"

1/25/62 - Charles Luther, 15 - He was recovered, no record of what had happened to him. Later turned to crime.

3/15/62 - William Douglas, 23

8/15/63 - Rosemary Jacovino, 13 - She was recovered, no record of what had happened to her. 2 years later she won a dance contest and then graduated from High School.

The interesting thing is that Charles, William and Rosemary all lived on Locust Ave. My suspect did not live in proximity to them.

There was another young woman who went missing from right in front of a bank in Oakdale during this time. I have not been able to find if she ever turned back up. I will continue to look for her article.

I've mentioned other people from Oakdale who went missing in the time leading up to Cynthia's disappearance. Here are a few that I've been able to dig out of my records;

1/25/62 - Charles Luther, 15 - He was recovered, no record of what had happened to him. Later turned to crime.

8/15/63 - Rosemary Jacovino, 13 - She was recovered, no record of what had happened to her. 2 years later she won a dance contest and then graduated from High School.

The interesting thing is that Charles, William and Rosemary all lived on Locust Ave. My suspect did not live in proximity to them.

There was another young woman who went missing from right in front of a bank in Oakdale during this time. I have not been able to find if she ever turned back up. I will continue to look for her article.
Great Find! I can feel the case getting slightly warmer. We might actually have a resolution!

Found another...

8/16/65 - Gloria Williams - Recovered from the foot of Vanderbilt Ave in Idle Hour.

Vanderbilt Ave is right inside my suspects area. It's right between his home and his place of business.

Found another...

8/16/65 - Gloria Williams - Recovered from the foot of Vanderbilt Ave in Idle Hour.

Vanderbilt Ave is right inside my suspects area. It's right between his home and his place of business.
Big possibility.

Hoping to see a resolution in the case. July 11th marks 50 years.

So I was discussing this case yesterday afternoon with a co-worker after I heard him mention that he lives in Oakdale. He actually went to school at the Middle School on Oakdale-Bohemia Road and spent a lot of time hanging out in the woods that Cynthia was last seen walking in to. He told me that he remembers hearing the story about Cynthia when he was younger but he also remembers hearing about an incident involving 3 other girls. I will try to get more information.

So I was discussing this case yesterday afternoon with a co-worker after I heard him mention that he lives in Oakdale. He actually went to school at the Middle School on Oakdale-Bohemia Road and spent a lot of time hanging out in the woods that Cynthia was last seen walking in to. He told me that he remembers hearing the story about Cynthia when he was younger but he also remembers hearing about an incident involving 3 other girls. I will try to get more information.
That’s awesome!! My parents kept a missing poster from NCMEC but lost it.

Wait 3 people went missing from the state street in 1 year?

This is a haunting case because I literally live in the area. My parents and all kids from that time learned not to trust strangers or go out by themselves because of what happened to Cynthia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back