Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but there was more than one car that passed him, so I think they would have, at least for a short time.

Right, But they got a call that a woman and her child were hiding in the bathroom from a home invasion. So they need first and foremost, to get to that home. Stopping to check a random passing vehicle at that time would be a big mistake, if the perps were still a the scene. JMO

And if one officer had stopped the fleeing vehicle, he would have been shot most likely. JMO

Regarding what the neighbors heard. This is all MOO and speculation, but I am thinking they did hear two shots, but their timing was off, as many of us had speculated. The two shots would have been the two from outside the house--one killing James and one shooting into the door. The third shot to kill Denise was inside the house and possibly not heard by the neighbors. I bet it's what you all said--they saw a 3 on the clock instead of a 5.

Right, But they got a call that a woman and her child were hiding in the bathroom from a home invasion. So they need first and foremost, to get to that home. Stopping to check a random passing vehicle at that time would be a big mistake, if the perps were still a the scene. JMO

And if one officer had stopped the fleeing vehicle, he would have been shot most likely. JMO

BBM. I agree with you that there was not a reason to stop and check the vehicle en route, but they did not know from the 911 call that a woman and child were hiding. They have said many times that the 911 call held nothing helpful or useful. It was 48 seconds with some noises and yelling heard--that was all.

So it is apparent that the neighbors were mistaken about the time they heard the gunshots. Also, LE responded with sirens, something the neighbors did not report hearing. Interesting.
Yes, very odd. A shotgun might not even be heard by a neighbor. I'm not sure how close JC's neighbors are, but shotguns aren't that loud (more bass but less high pitched sound) compared to a 9mm handgun.

He saw her get on or off the school bus on day and made up his mind to take her.

When people came to the house, he made her stay under his bed and he stuffed container around her and left music playing in the room. He told her that bad things would happen to her if anyone found her.

Seems he kept her in a trashy basement the rest of the time.

She was wearing his shoes when she escaped.

All from Fox news.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Barron County Case Number 2019CF000020 State of Wisconsin vs. Jake T Patterson

Case summary
Filing date 01-14-2019
Case type Criminal
Case status Filed Only - Electronic filing
Defendant date of birth 06-17-1997
Address 14166 S Eau Claire Acres Circle, Gordon, WI 54838
DA case number 2019BA000046

Charges
Count no. Statute Description Severity Disposition
1 940.01(1)(a) 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide Felony A
2 940.01(1)(a) 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide Felony A
3 940.31(1)(a) Kidnapping/Carry w/o Consent Felony C
4 943.10(2)(a) Burglary-Armed w/ Dangerous Weapon Felony E

Want to do something to even the scales on this kind of monstrous evil? Hug your children, hold them close and teach them that no matter what they are never to give up. Call your mother and tell her you love her, and then call your father and tell him the same.
Take some supplies to your local women's shelter, support those who have left monsters just like this.
Eat dinner with your family, at the table, and tell them how thankful you are for each and every one of them.
Take a pie over to your neighbor's home.
Take back the fear, the anger and the hate and don't let this monster spread it any farther. Erase him from your mind and remember that smile on Jayme's face because what he couldn't plan for, what he couldn't shoot dead, what he couldn't overcome was love. That's what beat him, the love Jayme had for her family, the love her family had for her and it was that love that gave her strength and courage and beat him.

T R U T H !!!! Great post. It truly is the love that Jayme was raised with that beat this guy. I have been thinking the same thing. Sadly, he could not relate to that and that is a whole different conversation.

mmmm.....so the father visited on Saturdays, per the complaint. That's a lot of times over there that Jayme was undetected. And, she was upstairs so any kind of a thump could be heard downstairs. He did turn the music up upstairs tho. But wouldn't a thump still be heard? She must have been completely compliant while JP was home.

Terror and fear are just as effective at times as physical restraints.

I could never even begin to imagine...

Given he was so violent in kidnapping her maybe he thought that was enough but because of what he did to get her, I would of thought he would have made her more secure.. No logic in any of these crimes, that I must remember

I don't think it's possible to stop every vehicle while responding, nor would I have expected them to check it out on that night.

However Deputy Fick gave some pretty good details in the initial report (color, make & model, details of trom color), and maybe LE did investigate it behind the scenes. It's just shocking, in hindsight, that even with the timing (20 seconds from the house they were responding to), and the amount of detail that the Deputy noticed, a Ford Taurus was never mentioned with the other 2 vehicles.

Jayme Closs suspect 'saw her on school bus'

Jayme Closs kidnap: Suspect Jake Patterson 'saw her on school bus'

A Wisconsin man accused of killing a 13-year-old girl's parents so he could kidnap her allegedly made up his mind to snatch her after a chance encounter.

Jake Patterson, 21, told investigators he watched Jayme Closs board a school bus that he had stopped behind while driving to work.

He faces charges of killing Jayme's parents and kidnapping her on 15 October last year.

Jayme escaped last Thursday after three months in captivity, say police.
The charging document quotes Mr Patterson as saying that when he saw Jayme, "he knew that was the girl he was going to take."

Mr Patterson told police he only had worked at the factory for two days, and ended up spotting Jayme on one of the two mornings he drove to work.

The complaint says the accused twice scouted the Closs home near Barron with the plan of taking Jayme.

But he abandoned the plot those times because too many people were in the vicinity.

Mr Patterson described the measures he took to avoid detection, including shaving his head, stealing a license plate, wiping the shotgun with gloves on and modifying his car boot so it could not be opened from the inside.

The charging document says that when Mr Patterson eventually stormed the family home by the front door, Jayme and her mother, Denise Closs, took refuge in the bathroom.

The pair heard a gunshot and suspected the home-invader had killed the father, James Closs.

Mr Patterson allegedly broke down the bathroom door, shot Denise Closs and bound Jayme's hands and ankles.

He then dragged her to his car and threw her in the boot, according to the criminal complaint.

Jayme told investigators that Mr Patterson drove 66 miles (105km) to a rural cabin near the small town of Gordon, where she was allegedly held until her escape.

Once at the Gordon home, Jayme said that Mr Patterson took all of her clothes, saying he would throw them away.

She told police he would sometimes make her hide under his bed when friends or family visited the cabin, making it clear "that nobody was to know she was there or bad things would happen to her".

Sometimes, Mr Patterson "would make her stay under the bed for up to twelve hours at a time with no food, water, or bathroom breaks", according to the complaint.

And to ensure she was trapped, Jayme told officials he would stack containers with heavy weights around the bed "so she could not move them without his being able to detect it".

On 10 January, Jayme said she was able to escape after Mr Patterson left the house, informing her he would be out for five or six hours.

She told police she was able to move the weights and crawl out of the room. She took a pair of Mr Patterson's shoes and fled on foot, eventually encountering a neighbour who helped her contact police.

According to the local officers who then arrested Mr Patterson, when he stepped out of his vehicle "he stated 'I know what this is about'", adding "I did it".

After his arrest, Mr Patterson told investigators he assumed he had gotten away with the murders and kidnapping after two weeks, the complaint states.

He added that he only learned of Mr and Mrs Closs' names weeks later after seeing them on television.

Mr Patterson told police "he never would have been caught if he would have planned everything perfectly".
On Monday, a criminal complaint outlined how Mr Patterson came up with the idea of targeting Jayme.

He allegedly told investigators he was driving to his job at a cheese factory one day near the village of Almena when he spotted Jayme get on a school bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500