Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers!

Wow quick memories of the miracle rescue with baby Jessica. Okay, so it wasn’t as deep, but it was more narrow. And 30 years later. Wow, You would think by now, safety measures would be in place.

(Jessica McClure Morales (born March 26, 1986) became famous on October 14, 1987, at the age of 18 months after she fell into a well in her aunt's backyard in Midland, Texas. Between that day and October 16, rescuers worked for 56 hours to free her from the eight-inch (20 cm) well casing 22 feet (6.7 m) below the ground.)

I remember watching the news the entire time. I cried like a baby when she was rescued. I hope we can see another miracle here.

Julen hang in there. You have people trying their best to find you. Bless you and your family. Stay strong lil guy. My heart goes out to you and your family. I’m sorry they’re having to go through this. I can’t even imagine.

So slight directional variances certainly don't mean he could not have slipped down, correct? I highly doubt if the rescuers could tell he couldn't have that they would be using all the resources.
I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but you're correct, I see no reason why this would prevent his from slipping down. The directional changes of the hold would be gradual, not sudden. If you dropped a rock down for example, it would roll to the bottom.

This shows a graphic on what they are planning to do:
It seems they are looking at 3 different options.
That's what I'm reading too. First is to remove dirt that has fallen into the hole, second is to drill another hole next to the first and third is to tunnel perpendicular to the well, apparently to intersect it further down? The DM article said the "mini landslide" was wet sand. I don't know if that's better or worse than rocks and mud but it seems like there may be a better chance of it continuing to slide down, possible allowing air in. I dunno.

Also, I think Elainera and MsFacetious are correct when they said the hole is an exploratory hole not an actual well. We had that done on mountain property.

MOO.

Rescuers still can’t reach toddler who tumbled down 360-foot well in Spain

--------------------------------------------------------------

At its deepest depth, the camera spotted candies and a cup the boy had been carrying when he fell, the Express reports; they were in what the newspaper calls "a blockage" believed to have been created by a "mini-landslide" as the toddler fell, and he is believed to be underneath that blockage.

Rescuers still can’t reach toddler who tumbled down 360-foot well in Spain

Why can't they get the camera further down? Is the hole completely blocked?

They said it got too narrow but yes, then it is blocked. They believe it collapsed as he fell and he's underneath the blockage.

DNA has now proven that he did fall in and given renewed hope that he is just further than they've been able to reach.

Spain: DNA Sample Found for 2-Year-Old Missing in Borehole

Spanish rescuers working against the clock to find a missing 2-year-old toddler say they have found hair of the boy in soil extracted from a narrow borehole that is 100 meters (330 feet) deep.

Dear SunVenus,

My thoughts follow the same path as yours.

Bonds of deep compassion and love held us all together during the night we stayed up until morning, breathing hope in and out, for the Wild Boars. This thread feels the same way to me.

I join with you all in hoping and praying that this outcome will be as great. May this little boy be rescued. My heart is with his family and I share their prayers.

Hello @zencompass! Hope you've been well.

It's reassuring to know you are on this case too. I love your positivity!

Let's hope for some good new soon about Julen.

Last edited:
Glad to see you two here spreading love and positive thoughts :)
Sadly, I don't have a great deal of hope for this young fella :(

Glad you are with us too, @CoverMeCagney!

I feel a bit frightened on this case as well. Such a tiny, young child, such a huge drop, and no sounds reported for a while. :(

But! I also felt pretty hopeless at times during the Thai cave boys' search and rescue. When I first heard they were going to have to dive them out, I nearly threw up. Cave diving is so risky, they'd been in there so long... but they ended up safe. I am holding out hope here too, and trying not to be a Negative Nancy in my thoughts. I don't want to give space to detrimental thoughts-- I know none of us do. So here we all are again and together, maybe with all our positive energies, we will see another amazing rescue and then can marvel at the magnificence of the human spirit to survive, and to come to another's aide.

We need to really pray that the little boy is feet first and not head first. Being upside down causes blood to pool in the head which then inhibits the heart’s ability to circulate oxygenated blood though out the body.

Sadly, the upside down position led to the death of this individual before rescuers could free him. He was trapped in a very restricted area of the Nutty Putty cave in Utah (since closed off to explorers as there had been more than a few close calls before the tragedy).

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705347362/Man-trapped-in-Utah-Countys-Nutty-Putty-cave-dies.html

But…. If the boy is feet first, it is a whole different situation physiology wise. Likewise, the accident occurred in southern Spain. This could reduce hypothermia risks.

Spain also has strong mining tradition in the northern part of the country going back centuries. I am praying that the expertise of mining companies and the skills of individual miners can be used to free this boy.

Little Julen's position came to mind as well for me. :( When I want to really scare myself silly, I re-read the articles about John Jones and the disaster at Nutty Putty cave. That is just horrific. (Three things fascinate yet terrify me: spelunking, cave diving, and extreme altitude mountaineering. I always follow news alerts and have notifications on them. I also pat myself on my back for not having any of those as a hobby.)

Right now, I am trying to keep Jessica McClure's rescue in mind, and also that of the Tasmanian miners (the Beaconsfield rescue) back in 2006.

Positive thoughts!

Last edited:
Spain: DNA sample found for 2-year-old missing in borehole

[...]

Emergency workers have been unable to pass through the 73-meter mark of the shaft, blocked by an accumulation of hardened soil and rocks. They expect to be able to reach the deepest part of the shaft from the side tunnel in "24 to 48 hours."

"We are not going to give up," Jose Rosello told a scrum of reporters at the scene Wednesday. "We have the hope that an angel is going to show up for my son to come out alive."

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members