Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah Winkelmann WEAU on Twitter
The community of Ladysmith is excited about the safe return of #JaymeCloss See the full story tonight on @WEAU13News

DxDoDm0X0AArHxT.jpg

DxDoDm6X4AAAkf2.jpg

DxDoDm4WwAEjILJ.jpg

How wonderful. Not gonna lie, I teared up at the one that says “We missed you”.

P

Population of Gordon: under 700. That's tiny. The alleged GF's mother would have had to replace multiple slashed tires. I can't imagine news of such a rare and vindictive act in such a small place not spreading quickly and thoroughly.

Well sure, but my post was aimed at the fact that the size of Barron was stated and that it should have been known all over town. Fact is its over an hour away and no one in Gordon would connect that event to a kidnapping an hour away. Also, stuff like that sometimes happens and no one knows for sure who did it; it could all be speculation. She could be making it all up or it could just be that people are not talking about it. Not altogether uncommon in small towns, either.

I had an ex-boyfriend in high school that I believe tried to kill my dog. I strongly suspect it was him and I have never been able to think of another soul who would have done such a thing. But I will never know for sure who did it. I only told one friend and to my knowledge it never got around our very tiny community.

All this to say, her tires may or may not have been slashed and he may or may not have slashed her tires. I am not yet ready to take this interview as fact. JMO Either way, I don't think that an event like that supposedly happened when he was in the ninth grade (6-7 years ago) that makes a person an automatic suspect in this situation without any other indicators. Again, JMO.

I will agree with your post that if four tires were indeed slashed and had to be replaced that word of that would certainly have gotten around. In the very least a police report should exist because wouldn't you seek for insurance to cover the cost of replacement?

And yet his maternal grandfather said he would play computer games rather than socialize with family. To be fair, that does not mean he had that access now. Just shows the very opposing media accounts that come out about everything. If he was highly into computer games, I am not sure I buy that he was in a "time warp". Yet I guess years ago, you could play solitaire on a computer and not have internet...

As a parent of a 16 year old boy who has always monitored his gaming and online activities, I've learned about some of the distinctions and choices that age group makes.

It is entirely possible to play most currently available games solo, whether on the computer or on a gaming platform. It is also unusual to do so, and IMO, meaningful if he played games alone and by choice.

Playing multiplayer games with complete strangers is fairly typical for even young teenagers, either on the computer or on a gaming platform (very scary, IMO, since adults can and do invade these kids' spaces masquerading as kids).

It isn't entirely common, but it isn't unusual either, especially for teenagers/young adults who aren't adept socially, to seek out most of their social interactions online. There one can be anyone, try out different personas, not have to puzzle out genuine social interactions, and live out and share whatever fantasy, no matter how freaky, off-beat, weird or just downright awful.

I absolutely think forgiveness is different for everyone (I missed making that clear). I feel the same way about grief. You can't predict what grief will do with you....and I think forgiveness is somewhat similar, though, obviously, a different feeling and experience.

I have the utmost respect for both the journey through grief and the journey through forgiveness and am also respectful that the journey is different for each person, in each circumstance. They are, imo, unpredictable journeys.

Okay, enough of those musings from me.....

jmo

I understood entirely what you meant and agree 100 percent. I think most can intuit that from your post. I just wanted to add to it and say, as you have said, everyone's journey is different. There may be one family member who can forgive and another who feels no such way with the very same crime... Enough of my musing as well :)

This reply is not aimed at your comment Kebdal which is entirely sensible. But now that the brother has been mentioned: And not wishing to sleuth someone who is not an official person of interest surely the brother deserves a look by LE in relation to supporting JP. We still do not know who the visitors to the house were that Jayme mentioned. Also there are too many disrecpencies in statements by JP which is indicative of a lack of knowledge of exactly what went down at the crime scene.

Everything that Jake Patterson has said so far he could have been told by another Perp who actually did the deed. There are gaps in his story which either don’t fit with the timeline or do not fit with Jayme’s statement. For example, all that he described as doing in the house would take more than 4 minutes; searching through the house, beating his way into the bathroon, and taping Jayme’s head which was not mentioned by Jayme. I think there are many more discrepancies in his story.

Although we can all fit his strange behaviour with animals and loner demeanour with being the Perp there is no history leading up to such a violent crime: Useful Websleuth Quote: “one glaringly missing sign is no criminal history. I would think this will be a case of interest to future profilers, criminologists and psychologists. A rare escalation jump from nothing to armed B&E, double homicide and kidnapping “ (my bold) (Thanks CuriousMaine)

Stay with me:

I am also surprised at the speed with which JP owned up to the crime when stopped by LE. If he went to such extremes to cover his tracks why give up so easily?

Also, If he planned this so well then why not prepare a place to keep Jayme? (under the bed seems to indicate a lack of planning for her arrival) as is the description of changing of plates and disabling the dome light on the car and working on the boot lock “on the way” to the crime scene.

The scenario below is way out there but stranger things have happened.

Scenario: Suppose JP, the loser, had been whingeing for weeks about Jayme and how he wanted her and had told, let's say person x, that he had gone to the Closs home to get her twice and "bottled out". So person x, exasperated with JPs failure, took matters into their own hands and blazed into the Closs home to “fetch” a trophy for JP. The crime was planned well enough to totally bewilder LE and the FBI but person x delivering Jayme to JPs house would explain why when Jayme arrived JP was so ill prepared to “store” her. It would also explain why he jumped to say “I know what this is about and I did it!”, to cover for someone who he cared deeply for.Don't forget, the Perp wore a mask and Jayme did not see his face until she was at JPs house.

At this stage JP, if found guilty, would be in line for at least 40years for kidnapping so why implicate person x in the murders.
I think LE is confident JP acted alone. He gave a stunning degree of detail in his confession and it makes me wonder if he actually wanted to get caught.

JMO

As a parent of a 16 year old boy who has always monitored his gaming and online activities, I've learned about some of the distinctions and choices that age group makes.

It is entirely possible to play most currently available games solo, whether on the computer or on a gaming platform. It is also unusual to do so, and IMO, meaningful if he played games alone and by choice.

Playing multiplayer games with complete strangers is fairly typical for even young teenagers, either on the computer or on a gaming platform (very scary, IMO, since adults can and do invade these kids' spaces masquerading as kids).

It isn't entirely common, but it isn't unusual either, especially for teenagers/young adults who aren't adept socially, to seek out most of their social interactions online. There one can be anyone, try out different personas, not have to puzzle out genuine social interactions, and live out and share whatever fantasy, no matter how freaky, off-beat, weird or just downright awful.

I agree--it is just an assumption and speculation on my part but I would be surprised if he did not have an online presence--whether that will be found though is another guess. I wonder if they used the same electronic sniffing dogs at the Gordon site....

Agree completely.

I think I’m in the minority here when I say this. I think a private letter to Jayme’s family (not Jayme, her family) was the best thing PP could do. I believe it showed true empathy, humility and decency. By passing a private letter to the family, through appropriate hands, PP kept his sentiments private and allowed this case to continue to be centered around Jayme as the victim.

Often times when a defendant’s family speaks publicly I get the feeling they are doing it for show. They think it is the right thing to do. They also do it to garner sympathy for themselves. PP avoided this trap.

IMO, he doesn’t need/want the public nor media’s sympathy or spotlight. Instead, he simply wants to see Jayme and her family healed. He did what he felt he needed to do to help, in whatever way he could, the Closs family heal.

JMO, what PP did takes a lot more guts and integrity than standing behind microphones at a press conference. I’ve said it before, and I’m standing behind it. Unless evidence is presented otherwise, I believe the Patterson family are victims as well and I believe they are grieving the loss of a son that they now wonder if they ever really knew.

All JMO, stepping off soap box now.

Yup. Not every aspect of this case needs to be played out in public. I think it shows decency and integrity.

Please quote the relevant paragraphs

I’m assuming you can’t access the document for some reason, so:
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

Page 6: I quote “J.L.C. stated her mother had her cell phone with her and used the phone to call 911. J.L.C. stated Patterson broke down the bathroom door and told her mother to hang up the phone. J.L.C. stated Patterson told her mother to put tape over J.L.C.’s mouth, which her mother did,”

Page 9: I quote “The defendant stated he pulled out a flattened partial roll of black colored Gorilla brand duct tape, handed it to Denise, and told her to place the tape over J.L.C.’s mouth. The defendant stated Denise was struggling to do that and he set the shotgun down on the bathroom sink. The defendant stated he took the tape from Denise and wrapped tape around J.L.C.’s mouth, and completely around her head. The defendant stated he then had J.L.C. stand up where he then took tape and placed it around her wrists, with her palms together to restrain her hands and arms. The defendant stated he then took the tape and wrapped it around J.L.C.’s ankles. The defendant stated he then removed J.L.C. from the bathtub.”.

HTH.

Jayme Closs' kidnapper lived in weird 'time warp' without smart phone, social media or internet connection, as former neighbor says the 'loner' would spend his free time reading survival guides and books about the military

Jayme Closs' kidnapper lived in 'time warp' without smart phone, former neighbor says | Daily Mail Online

'When he was nine or 10 his mom left his dad and that changed him a lot. He became shy, he no longer wanted friends." His mother remarried 2 months ago. I still wonder if that had an impact on him. Also ...this article said he liked animals.

JLC does not mention tape around her head.
"The defendant stated he pulled out a flattened partial roll of black colored Gorilla brand duct tape, handed it to Denise, and told her to place the tape over J.L.C.’s mouth. The defendant stated Denise was struggling to do that and he set the shotgun down on the bathroom sink. The defendant stated he took the tape from Denise and wrapped tape around J.L.C.’s mouth, and completely around her head. The defendant stated he then had J.L.C. stand up where he then took tape and placed it around her wrists, with her palms together to restrain her hands and arms. The defendant stated he then took the tape and wrapped it around J.L.C.’s ankles.

J.L.C. stated

Patterson told her mother to put tape over J.L.C.’s mouth, which her mother did, and then Patterson shot her mother. J.L.C. stated both her mother and father were shot one tIme. J.L.C. stated that Patterson taped her hands and ankles together and dragged her out to his car. J.L.C. described the tape as being black in color. J.L.C. stated Patterson taped her hands such that her hands were behind her back.

When they got to the house, J.L.C. stated Patterson took her to a hallway and made her sit down and stay there. J.L.C. stated he then removed the tape from her mouth, hands, and ankles."
Also, just noticed that JP describes taping hands palms together but J.L.C. describes her hands taped behind her

I think it is just a matter of details. JP gave more details, but they are describing the same thing.

FWIW, it is also possible to tape someone's hands "palms together" behind their back.

I absolutely think forgiveness is different for everyone (I missed making that clear). I feel the same way about grief. You can't predict what grief will do with you....and I think forgiveness is somewhat similar, though, obviously, a different feeling and experience.

I have the utmost respect for both the journey through grief and the journey through forgiveness and am also respectful that the journey is different for each person, in each circumstance. They are, imo, unpredictable journeys.

Okay, enough of those musings from me.....

jmo
Very thoughtful post, I agree completely.

The one thing I've personally had to work on the most since coming to WS is to really consider everyone's thoughts and opinions, whether I initially agree or not. My emotional response to such indignities can sometimes give me tunnel vision, but I've found myself rethinking my original reaction many times after reading the collective thoughts and experiences from posters here. It's the only crime related sight I post on because of the caliber of posters and the moderators.

Okay, now I'll stop musing too :D:)

When Your Child Is a Psychopath

This article is about a child who lacks empathy. Her parents are a doctor and a teacher so they recognized the signs early and she is in a residential program. Sometimes, even the best parenting, is not enough.

Fabulous article, thank you for posting. (Our late great @Foxfire would have especially appreciated this article.)

My teenage son plays Fortnite with his friends all the time. Do I think that's going to turn him into a sociopath? No.
However, he is actually playing with real friends from school online. It's what they do now. I do not think we can blame this on video games. IMO, JP had issues with abandonment and failure to launch (but his dad does seem like a really decent human being).

I'm not saying this just to be contrary but, if both JP's parents worked when the kids were young... something could have happened in a babysitter's home or a child care center or a relative's home, etc. Also, I'm still waiting for confirmation that the kids were placed in foster care and, if so, something could have happened there, too. I'm just seeing JP's family as victims at this point because heredity and congenital anomalies diagnosed or not, can lead to predilections in behavior and is also a possibility imo. I'm especially reluctant to try and place any responsibility on the parents when I don't know anything about the family life; as in, "growing up in the P home."
ETA: Siblings don't, strictly speaking, "grow up in the same environment." Home environments change according to circumstances within the family and from without. Example would be financial burdens may become more influential as more children are born; causing changes in parental character. First child might be planned and dearly loved and fussed over... sibling #3 might be born into a tension filled atmosphere with lots of arguing going on. There are countless variables involved, imo.
JMO
The point, if you read farther down, is that there are two children raised in the same household, same environment, and both became criminals. I maintain, and will, that something in that environment and home contributed. Even if we agree that situations change, finances change, order of birth is different, the fact is in a home, in a family, in an environment in which two children were raised they both engaged in criminal activity, that leads to conclude the common factor is the environment. If one child had had criminal issues? Then yes I'd understand the reluctance, but two? If you found out that all three of their children had had criminal activities, then even more so. I'm sure we'll find out more as this progresses, but I do think it's commendable that the father is expressing empathy towards the Closs family.

I think LE is confident JP acted alone. He gave a stunning degree of detail in his confession and it makes me wonder if he actually wanted to get caught.

JMO
These guys generally do not want to be caught.

What happens over time though, is they become complacent. As time went on, he’d be willing to leave Jayme for longer periods.

This would have played to her advantage.

Once he was captured, he knew he was done. At this point, he wanted credit.

Notoriety was all he had to hold on to, and he’d actually enjoy the process of telling law enforcement about this crime.

He actually showed up to the sentencing and sat on the Closs side. He was told by a deputy to move to his son's side. I don't have information on if that was intentional or not.

I read about the exchange between Mr. P and the deputy and it was more of a question to ask if they had more people coming to sit on their side because they were trying to find more seating for the large numbers of the press in attendance. Sorry, I don't have the link right off hand.

And yet his maternal grandfather said he would play computer games rather than socialize with family. To be fair, that does not mean he had that access now. Just shows the very opposing media accounts that come out about everything. If he was highly into computer games, I am not sure I buy that he was in a "time warp". Yet I guess years ago, you could play solitaire on a computer and not have internet...
Did he say "rather than socialize with family"? Can you find the exact quote because that's interesting if that's the direct quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009