Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: Lengthy article - more at the link

Jake Patterson, suspect in Closs case, was discharged early from Marines because of character issues
Boot camp for Marine Corps recruits lasts 13 weeks but Jake Patterson washed out after only five.

The Marines will only say that Patterson was prematurely discharged because the "character of his service was incongruent with Marine Corps' expectations and standards," Maj. Brian Block in the Marines' communication directorate said by email.

He tried to get a new job while lying about his military service just last week — on the same day Jayme escaped his home in remote northern Wisconsin after 88 days in captivity, according to an Associated Press report.

Patterson states he served in the U.S. Marines for nine months from April 2017 to December 2017. The Marines said his brief service was two years before that.

What is known about Patterson's brief military stint was he visited a Marine recruiter in Rice Lake to enlist and showed up at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego on Sept. 14, 2015.

"Even in boot camp Marines don't act like this. They're not taught to go out and try to crucify somebody like this," said Baranzyk, who served in the Marines 1966-'69 including almost 13 months in Vietnam.

"Someone in that Marine unit must have known something about this kid was dangerous and washed him out," Baranzyk said in a phone interview. "Just think if this kid had made it through and he's in charge of a unit (in a war zone) and he exhibits these behaviors? Then people would have died or maybe a whole unit would have died."

Patterson was booted out of the Marines on Oct. 20, 2015 at the lowest rank — private. The only other information the Corps released on Patterson was this:

Military Occupational Specialty: none

Awards: none

I dunno but I do feel like he took jobs to get his Parent/s off his back. Likely could not hold a job or even cared to. Could not tolerate authority, sense of entitlement and just plain lazy. IMO

I would disagree a little bit. It is amazing he made his first attempt so quickly, but the fact that he recognized the situation wasn't right and was able to back out, and also back out a second time, actually shows pretty good impulse control. Very calm, which is perhaps even more scary.
I do agree that there is a lot of information missing.
I think so as well - I believe he watched for a longer time and possibly could have gone into the home prior as well - pure speculation on my part. He just seemed to operate (based on the complaint) like he absolutely knew without a doubt what he was doing and executed his plan IMO

Jake Patterson, suspect in Closs case, was discharged early from Marines because of character issues
Boot camp for Marine Corps recruits lasts 13 weeks but Jake Patterson washed out after only five.

The Marines will only say that Patterson was prematurely discharged because the "character of his service was incongruent with Marine Corps' expectations and standards," Maj. Brian Block in the Marines' communication directorate said by email.

He tried to get a new job while lying about his military service just last week — on the same day Jayme escaped his home in remote northern Wisconsin after 88 days in captivity, according to an Associated Press report.

Patterson states he served in the U.S. Marines for nine months from April 2017 to December 2017. The Marines said his brief service was two years before that.

What is known about Patterson's brief military stint was he visited a Marine recruiter in Rice Lake to enlist and showed up at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego on Sept. 14, 2015.

"Even in boot camp Marines don't act like this. They're not taught to go out and try to crucify somebody like this," said Baranzyk, who served in the Marines 1966-'69 including almost 13 months in Vietnam.

"Someone in that Marine unit must have known something about this kid was dangerous and washed him out," Baranzyk said in a phone interview. "Just think if this kid had made it through and he's in charge of a unit (in a war zone) and he exhibits these behaviors? Then people would have died or maybe a whole unit would have died."

Patterson was booted out of the Marines on Oct. 20, 2015 at the lowest rank — private. The only other information the Corps released on Patterson was this:

Ha! This guy is pushing things by speculating about what could happen if he was put in charge of a unit.

That would absolutely never happen.

Maybe he’d be put in charge of mopping duty or something, but even that’s a stretch.

I saw some weirdos make it through, but someone on his level wouldn’t stand a chance.

I know what you mean, but look no further than the Watts case, or countless other murders for that matter.

It may take a different form, but this “emptiness” is inherent in a lot of crimes.

I agree though, the terror that these people felt makes this crime especially horiffic.
I didn't follow the Watts case here, only in the news. There were/are so many threads of various missing hikers, disappeared and/or murdered victims here, it's surely difficult to stay current in all of them. For me at least.

So, no disrespect to the horrors that Mollie or Hania or Kelsey (or Shannon and girls) and others went through. I know it takes basically the same lack of empathy and a level of narcissism to comment crimes like these.

Jayme's case just resonates more in my heart, especially after reading the accounting of what went on. Maybe even because we had such a concise accounting of details.

Thanks for you ever thoughtful and knowledgable posts.

I’m curious about his jobs being so far from the cabin where JC was held captive. Was jtp commuting 1 1/2 each way for a minimum wage job? Or was he living somewhere else before he decided to abduct JC. I’m curious weather jtp was in fact living in the cabin after all his family had left? Or had it become more of a vacation cabin/ secondary residence for the PP family. I think i would not be surprised if jtp moved into the cabin as he was planning the abduction under the ruse to his father that he would be fixing it up in exchange for staying there. Moo
I'm curious about his living arrangements in this time frame as well. I can't imagine he would be commuting that distance everyday. Maybe he was temporarily staying with someone else. Living out of his car?

right. did he do something right away when he quit the turkey factory? or tried to and failed?

I think he is impulsive but fearful. I think he knew exactly who lived in the Closs home and that he would have to kill D&J to get JC. It was overkill, but knowing James, JP would know he had to go to that length if he was gonna leave the house with JC. I think he didn't even have a gun with him the first 2 attempts. MOO. I think he adjusted his plans each time he was thwarted.

Maybe he became aware of JC 3 years ago, and watched her for 3 years until she was the "right" age.

He was so purposeful in mentioning certain things about it being about JC and not about killing her parents, I think he knew there would be collateral damage if he wanted JC. But I don't think he is fearless. I think he is unemotional but that he experiences intimidation and shame. I think he was willing to kill to get JC but I don't think he originally intended to go kill anyone and everyone for the hell of it. I think he knew he would have to do that to get JC and he was willing and able after 2 thwarted attempts. Like a coward, he had to hide behind a shotgun. Also bc he is too stupid and clumsy to figure out another way to abduct her.

That is an interesting thought. If he quit the cheese factory because he was ready to commit his crime, and needed a couple days between the events, could he have possibly quit Jeannie O for a similar reason?

right - why did he travel to Barron when he wanted to work? both times?

I'm curious about his living arrangements in this time frame as well. I can't imagine he would be commuting that distance everyday. Maybe he was temporarily staying with someone else. Living out of his car?

I really don’t understand why people have their knickers in a knot about LE response. Douglas County LE did a fantastic job. I used to live 3 hours away from Douglas County (2 hours from Barron). Trying to drive 30-45 miles on iced-over roads is dangerous business, even for Wisconsin or Minnesota natives.
Agreed! I’m not sure what kind of vehicles Douglas County uses, but if they’re using Crown Vic’s?? Dear lord. You don’t even want to know how long people wait for LE in the city of Milwaukee.

although I believe JP is a psychopath, I think the sheer callousness of this crime was out of desperation: lack of cognitive skills, lack of creativity, intimidated by the people around JC, and it was a necessary evil to get what he wanted. He had failed twice before. I think he's got low intelligence and is impaired by the authority of others. I think that is what caused him to do this crime and why it was done the way it was. and I don't think it bothered him one bit to do it.

I get it believe me. I understand lack of empathy and lack of compassion and complete selfishness / narcissism. We all have seen it elsewhere on this forum for sure. In real life too, in my case being married to a psychologist, who shares case details (no names) with me. It still blows my mind.

But this case...I don't know. It goes way above and beyond mind-blowing. It is representative of utter emptiness. IMO

Or shows he worked a day or two and decided the work was beneath him. If he's better than everyone else, he's too good for that kind of work.
There isn’t a job on earth that would be beneath this guy.

But you’re right, he definitely could have felt that way.

I think it’s funny that he apparently wasn’t even qualified enough for that warehouse job at the liquor store he applied to.

He wasn’t even trusted to stock shelves.

I've now got an image of JP going through boot as Vincent D'Onofrio from Full Metal Jacket.

yes. I agree. I think he watched, lurked, scouted, and researched the family. His story does not add up about the night of the crime. It was not as fast as he claimed. I think he was on the property longer than he claimed before the crime. I think he wanted to do it right away and failed twice and was forced to figure out a more effective way.

I think so as well - I believe he watched for a longer time and possibly could have gone into the home prior as well - pure speculation on my part. He just seemed to operate (based on the complaint) like he absolutely knew without a doubt what he was doing and executed his plan IMO

Stalking all night long?
Think about that. He worked one day at Jenni-O, quit the next. He worked 2 days at the cheese factory and then quit. A person could stay awake all that time at night stalking. Then he quits and goes home.

For those interested in sending Jayme packages, letters, etc. keep in mind that she's probably getting bombarded with things now. As time goes on, however, that will slow down and eventually stop, yet the need will still exist. For many trauma victims, the world kind of moves on right about the time that you need them the most. There's a flurry of activity at the beginning, but then it gradually dissipates. <modsnipped personal anecdote>

I have sent a card, and am thinking of a nice gift for her birthday. I own a wedding boutique and have access to some pretty neat girly items. Bless that sweet brave girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, longtime reader on the site. I can't seem to find anywhere that shows the actual date of employment at Jennie-O. We know it was 3 years ago, but his brief stint in the USMC was also 3 years ago. Wondering if he has done this before, and if there may be a pattern to employment/lost employment and victim hunting. I would be curious to see if there are any missing girls (perhaps even found deceased/cold cases) from within a few hours driving distance of Gordon that went missing shortly after his employment at Jennie-O, and/or sometime shortly after USMC exit date of October 20, 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lifescholar