Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was interesting to note that there were no murders in Barron from 2002-2016. (I didn't see figures for 2017-18.) The overall crime rate in Barron is 94% lower than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 0.42 daily crimes that occur in Barron. Barron is safer than 94% of the cities in the United States. In Barron you have a 1 in 659 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

I'm surprised anyone even locks their doors! Sorry if this has been discussed endlessly. I'm pretty new here.
every one every where should lock their doors
not be looking for murderers everyday every where, but should be aware

No argument from me. But I can say this: I have in the past/do now/and always will have a gun in my hand if I'm answering a knock/doorbell late at night. And this case changes how I will respond.
what about from 5 pm to 10 pm?
do you live in a bad area?
....I lived in a bad area growing up--we never had firearms--of course we had a big family and dogs
...I can possibly understand being armed very late at night....

And that in itself should have made the car a bit suspect.
a lot of people are not '''street smart'''
some authorities/police etc are the same---they should be suspicious of everything!!

...ie: the Washington DC snipers were sleeping in their car which had a hole in the trunk in the wee hours of the morning [ this is a red flag ] .....but no search/no extensive questioning/etc
The officers were concerned that the driver's license was from Washington state while the vehicle was registered in New Jersey. Although the vehicle was suspicious enough for them to investigate, and it fit the description of a vehicle associated with the shooting in Washington, D.C. five days earlier, the officers did not question the occupants extensively, nor did they search the vehicle.
bold mine for emphasis
usually the police will want to search/question for the most ridiculous details
and instead they were looking for a white box truck! ..because the Chief was ''incompetent''/etc

D.C. sniper attacks - Wikipedia
there are other examples

I'm many pages behind. This happens when you need to go to work & have to log out of our WS community. ;)

This has probably been suggested already: since Jayme has loving family & an outpouring of gifts already, I stopped in the store for a few girly items including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hair accessories, you get the idea, and dropped 'em off at our local food pantry. Jayme herself will never know, but another young teen in need has a few things that she didn't before.

JMHO YMMV
I was thinking that since Jayme likes to help the poor, this would be a better idea than sending gifts to her. One can then send a card telling her donations to the poor have been made in her honor.

I think if anything should be learned from this situation. It would be not to answer the door, but find a safe spot, away from doors and windows, and keep your phone and firearm in hand. Wait and listen to what the person does.

I think the bottom line here is: no stranger should be knocking on your door in the middle of the night.

This should be a message to all of us to ramp up security around our homes.

They lived on a highway. Maybe it could've been a broke-down motorist, or maybe a wreck, although since most people (excepting my husband) now have cell phones it seems less likely.

I'd have a hard time just not answering it, but my 8 dogs would be there to help. So would cell phone-less hubby with his gun. Yes all 8 sleep nearby at night. Hubby too. They're big and look mean. Hubby too.

The dogs would divert someone enough to at least give us a fighting chance. I hope. My husband grew up in NM. The reservation kids taught him to fight. He's resourceful.

I don't know if there really IS something they could've done differently. Or if our protection is adequate. The dog didn't help Closs's and obviously most people don't have 8.

Metal doors? Skip the fancy windows? Fortify houses with bars and an intercom to communicate with visitors before opening the castle? Move away from the highway?

People on highways or even in city sub-developments are sitting ducks if someone like James attacks. Even alarm systems only call police and by the time help arrives, you're dead.

Anonymity seems the best plan. If no one can find you you're safe. Tata. Got to pack. Moving off the grid.

Exactly. If they were willing to give the public info about the Challenger and the black SUV, there’s no reason not to give the public info about the Taurus. (It’s not as though LE knew which, if any, of the three vehicles belonged to the killer. Not at all. It could’ve been one of them or none of them.) IMO, LE didn’t provide info about the Taurus NOT because they thought it was the suspect’s vehicle (and worried about keeping JC safe), but because they dismissed it as the suspect’s vehicle. Nothing else (in my mind) explains their actions. I’m sure they worked hard to solve this case. But, by their own admission, they were not even close. Had JP handcuffed JC to the bed or even killed her and disposed of the body, he might’ve gotten away scot-free. Kind of frightening, isn’t it?
Did any of the many cars on his property match the description of the Challenger & SUV? Could someone have noticed him driving a different car on one of his prior attempts?

If Jayme had not been awakened by her barking dog and hadn't gone to her parents' room, I honestly think that JP would have simply broken into the house and killed the parents in their beds while they slept. I don't think there's anything they could've done differently in this case.
ITA. He came to kill and kidnap. It's not like he was going to grab a screaming girl and not expect her parents to do something. In his mind he had to eliminate the opposition quickly and before they could grab a weapon, the opposition being her parents.

Last edited:
I wonder if the hunt for the tarus was complicated because of the lack of front plate, could have thought was from another state that didn't require front plates.
It had an empty plate holder, though, and so it appeared that something was missing. I don’t know about the other states that border WI, but Illinois also requires two plates.

It had an empty plate holder, though, and so it appeared that something was missing. I don’t know about the other states that border WI, but Illinois also requires two plates.

im not from there but my state does not require front plates and I have a empty plate holder. its not odd to have a empty plate holder in some places and no way to know the car wasn't from futher away.

To me it would seem a process of elimination. You would have all the DMV resources at your disposal. How many old Tauruses could there be in WI? The deputy specified Taurus, and even described the front black license plate frame. They should have been all over this car. It was the best lead they had. And I can't think of one reason this shouldn't have been the Amber Alert car.
The Ford Taurus, introduced in 1986, was the best-selling car in the United States from 1992 to 1996. In 1997, after five years at the top, the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord bumped the Taurus down to third, according to the New York Times.
Goodbye to the Ford Taurus, the Chariot of my Childhood

every one every where should lock their doors
not be looking for murderers everyday every where, but should be aware

This is how I feel. I take the same precautions I always have and try to stay aware, but crimes no longer make me overly paranoid about my safety. Sometimes despite your best effort, through no fault of your own you find yourself in a bad situation like the Closses. It doesn't hurt to take simple precautions, though.

ITA. He came to kill and kidnap. It's not like he was going to grab a screaming girl and not expect her parents to do something. In his mind he had to eliminate the opposition, that being her parents.
good call
....so let's compare this/him to your '''regular'' kidnapping/kidnapper--unless someone already has
....this is not as well thought out/intelligent as some would think--seems more like an impulsive crime
....is he younger than the ''regular''' kidnapper? appears to be
...as mentioned by other members = he did not have a well thought out ''cage'' for her
...again, crimes like these are not ''taught at college'' = there are no rules/standards/etc = much room for errors/etc

good call
....so let's compare this/him to your '''regular'' kidnapping/kidnapper--unless someone already has
....this is not as well thought out/intelligent as some would think--seems more like an impulsive crime
....is he younger than the ''regular''' kidnapper? appears to be
...as mentioned by other members = he did not have a well thought out ''cage'' for her
...again, crimes like these are not ''taught at college'' = there are no rules/standards/etc = much room for errors/etc

The initial crime of kidnapping and murder feels well thought out (he bought a mask, changed the license plate, wiped down the bullets, chose a gun that would be hard to trace, staked out their house, modified his vehicle,etc). The aftermath of crime, actually holding Jayme at his house, doesn't feel well thought out at all.

im not from there but my state does not require front plates and I have a empty plate holder. its not odd to have a empty plate holder in some places and no way to know the car wasn't from futher away.
It would still be suspicious on a rural road in Wisconsin because the odds are most cars are from Wisconsin and at least one neighboring state also requires two plates. I would like to know if they really did follow up on this thoroughly.

The initial crime of kidnapping and murder feels well thought out (he bought a mask, changed the license plate, wiped down the bullets, chose a gun that would be hard to trace, staked out their house, modified his vehicle,etc). The aftermath of crime, actually holding Jayme at his house, doesn't feel well thought out at all.
...then why are more kidnappings not like this one?
....this kind seems like a lot could go wrong--for one [ a huge mistake ]--the police are called immediately during the crime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels