GA - Mary & Elwyn Crocker Jr, both 14, starved, beaten & buried, Effingham Cnty, 20 Dec 2018 Arrests

This is almost incomprehensible! These are all people who knew Mary and Elwyn, cared for them on a daily basis. Not only did they most likely kill Elwyn 2 years ago, keeping his death a secret they did the same damn thing to Mary! Her own biological father was in on it! Disgusting that those kids lived among monsters!

I understand it will be a difficult case because the COD for both may not be able to be determined but IMO no matter what crock of a story these people come up with there's no way their deaths were an accident. I hope LE and the DA have enough evidence to put them all away forever.

From the second link:
Neighbors we spoke to told us they noticed the two children who appeared to live in the home didn’t play with kids on the street or do many kid-like things. Many neighbors told us the same story - that the small girl who lived there was always outside doing yard work, like raking leaves.

“Other kids said at school, they could tell stuff was wrong with her hands. They were red. That was from being out in the yard out there most of the time working, doing stuff from the time she got off that bus until they would go in at night. Then she would go to school and kids would see her and ask what was wrong and she wouldn’t ever say anything. She wouldn’t open up to anybody." said next-door neighbor, Gary Bennett.

Fifth family member arrested in Effingham buried children case
5 arrested after missing siblings found dead in Effingham County, GA

I can't help but think of the similarities to poor little Erica Parsons' case; mistreated by the people who were supposed to love and protect her, then disappearing, gone for 2 years, supposedly living with another relative. It's heartbreaking that the world is so ugly for so many innocent children.

Some of the background story is starting to come out.
NOTE: I had to whitelist this page before viewing article.
Maybe another media will pick the story up and print it.

EXCLUSIVE: Before death, S. Georgia kids endured violent chaos at home

ETA - I found another link.

Before found buried, Effingham kids endured violent chaos at home | Atlanta: News, Weather and Traffic

I was going to post this article this morning but the internet went out. It’s just hard to believe that this went on as long as did without serious intervention from authorities.

By November 2012, DFCS had met with the family numerous times. The agency’s workers were impressed with the turnaround, reports indicate. “Both Candice and Elwyn understand why they became involved with (DFCS), and they are willing to protect Elwyn Jr. from any physical abuse,” one DFCS worker wrote. The case was closed in February 2013.

It isn’t clear if the hotline workers in 2017 noticed — or looked for — parallels between the 2012 case and the girl’s statements, but they were there: the allegations of JR stealing, Kim Wright not being “very nice” and JR blaming himself.

When JR emerged from the beating, the girl said, he apologized for screaming so loud.
Afer reading the whole article it's clear that it wasn't just "a judgement call" by the social worker on a report from a year earlier that went nowhere; there were numerous other red flags that, had any worker looked at the family history they would have seen the pattern of abuse.

Here we have a little girl doing what she felt was right after learning about abuse in her class and CPS essentially throwing her report in the trash because it was from a year earlier even though the family had many reports in the past. I hope as she grows up she'll realize she did the right thing and it wasn't her but CPS who failed Elwyn (JR). SMDH.

Last edited:
An update from our local paper and tv news. It’s maddening when they say people need to report what they see and then DFCS doesn’t follow up on reports.

Neighbor: Guyton children 'didn't deserve' to die; DFCS closed case six years ago

Witness reported abuse to Effingham teen before his death. Why wasn't it investigated?

Well that's a bummer - I can't access either one of the articles you posted. Could you give a 10% synopsis on what is being said? TIA! :)
AND!! Are there any court dates in there? ;)

Well that's a bummer - I can't access either one of the articles you posted. Could you give a 10% synopsis on what is being said? TIA! :)
AND!! Are there any court dates in there? ;)

I have been checking the jail site and still no court date. The hands of time turn slowly in Effingham.

More than 10% but...from SMN.

This time six years ago, a talkative Elwyn Crocker Jr. recounted to a case manager the tons of toys he got for Christmas — many were provided by the school he attended.

Elwyn Jr., or “J.R.” as he was called, was eating well, sleeping well and doing exceptionally well in fifth grade.

The report, and the facts it relied on, helped to persuade the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services to close the Crocker case in February 2013, despite a number of reports from the previous summer and fall indicating a troubled home life for J.R. and his sister Mary.

After an alleged June 2012 beating by J.R.’s step uncle prompted DFCS to open a case, a counselor noted in August, “J.R. is not the person who needs sessions. They do,” meaning his father, stepmother and other adult relatives.

Fast forward to this past Dec. 20, when the bodies of J.R. and Mary were found buried in the back yard of their home in the Guyton area. Now neighbors and others are asking how two deaths so horrendous could have happened so close to them.

Sheila Dease-Dinkins, a regional director for DFCS in Springfield, said the agency will review the case because of the deaths and determine what, if anything should be changed. But she said she couldn’t point a finger to say the agency should have done something differently.

“It’s not just one agency’s responsibility,” Dease-Dinkins said. “It takes a village.” She encouraged the public not to hesitate to report a concern or suspicious activity involving children.

But in 2017 when a student reported an incident about the Crockers that had happened a year earlier, the DCFS professionals who reviewed it considered it historical so the case was not reopened.

“The report was about something that happened in the past. We had no information any of that was ongoing,” said Walter Jones, director of communications and legislative affairs for the Georgia Division of Children and Family Services in Atlanta.

DFCS will review the case after “the emotions are not quite so raw,” Jones said, to look at it objectively about what the policy should be. Immediately after a child’s death, the natural reaction is, “That’s horrible. We should have done a million things differently,” he said.

Neighbors who lived near the Crocker children on Redbud Lane said the family wasn’t friendly. Several people recalled run-ins with the parents about the pit bulls they owned. Others said the children’s step grandmother told them she didn’t want the children mingling with the neighborhood kids.

But several said they noticed Mary, who was 14 when she was last seen in October, had a look of fear on her face whenever they saw her. No one knows exactly what happened to Mary or J.R. The cause of death hasn’t been determined, but authorities have charged four relatives with child cruelty and concealing a death.

A fifth person was charged with cruelty to children, according to the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office.

Knowing the children’s bodies were pulled from the backyard next to his is troubling to neighbor Gary “Donny” Bennett. “I feel so bad about those kids.”

Bennett said he can’t go out in his yard without looking at the spot where Mary and J.R. were buried. “I see it every day and it bothers me. It really bothers me. Really bad.”

He said the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office told him people should have reported incidents when they heard or saw them, but it wasn’t obvious what was occurring because the family kept to themselves, Bennett said.

He said the sheriff’s deputies were out about two to three weeks ago talking to neighbors but he hasn’t heard from them since. He wants to know what’s going on with the case.

“At first when it happened, I couldn’t talk about it. It upset me so much. That little girl didn’t deserve it. She was like a perfect child. She never did no wrong.”

Now Bennett hopes others will talk to the police to move the case along. “If people know, they really need to speak up,” he said.

David Exley, the coroner of Effingham County, said an anthropologist who works with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is handling the case, and a report on the cause of death could take another two to three months. Exley hasn’t ruled out any cause of death. His goal was to preserve the children’s remains so they can be assessed by experts, he said.

Effingham coroner: Teens' autopsy reports could take months

This is almost incomprehensible! These are all people who knew Mary and Elwyn, cared for them on a daily basis. Not only did they most likely kill Elwyn 2 years ago, keeping his death a secret they did the same damn thing to Mary! Her own biological father was in on it! Disgusting that those kids lived among monsters!

I understand it will be a difficult case because the COD for both may not be able to be determined but IMO no matter what crock of a story these people come up with there's no way their deaths were an accident. I hope LE and the DA have enough evidence to put them all away forever.

From the second link:

Fifth family member arrested in Effingham buried children case
5 arrested after missing siblings found dead in Effingham County, GA

I can't help but think of the similarities to poor little Erica Parsons' case; mistreated by the people who were supposed to love and protect her, then disappearing, gone for 2 years, supposedly living with another relative. It's heartbreaking that the world is so ugly for so many innocent children.
Why wasn’t there any follow up when they were withdrawn for homeschooling? Shouldn’t there be something in place to make sure that happens? Did bio mom not have regular contact with her kids? Or any contact? Did Mary’s teachers not notice anything wrong?

So many questions. So much heartbreak. I hope these 5 rot in hell.

Right now, each of the five suspects only faces one felony murder charge. That’s in relation to Mary Crocker’s death. Investigators are still trying to determine how her brother, who went by “JR,” died.

"This is probably one of the most horrific things that we've had in this county since I've been in this county, I've been here 31 years. The magnitude of it is just overwhelming at some points where we've actually had some of our folks here have counseling,” Effingham County Sheriff Jimmy McDuffie says.

“The investigation is going to continue, it could last for months even up to a year depending on what the autopsy results show. that could give evidence that we need to look at something a little more than we've got,” McDuffie said.

If you think the revelations from the Department of Family and Children Services case files were disturbing, McDuffie says the most gruesome details will be revealed at the trial.

Effingham Co. Sheriff says murder suspects could face more charges in teen deaths

Sheriff releases new details in Crocker investigation

Family members charged with murder after buried bodies of Effingham teens discovered

Thanks a bunch for the synopsis MattMatts-Momma! Much appreciated!

Do you have a link to the court site - I would to see if it is the same one I have!
TIA! :)
I’m not sure we have a court lookup page. A lot of the cases on the judges calendars are from a while ago. The jail page has a court tab but it doesn’t look like it is utilized. Where are you checking? Since they were charged with murder I think I read they had to appear before a judge within 72 hours.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back