Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you're saying, but if you look on Google Maps right now, almost the entire length of Beverley Road from the Welly to Wellesley Avenue is congested, and even with that congestion, the time is 12 minutes. In normal traffic conditions it's around 7 minutes. It's a straight line down Beverley, then one right turn to Wellesley. IMO the journey should have taken no more than 15/20 minutes even if there was lots of traffic. However, it is completely possible as suggested by other members that Libby needed to be sick, or felt sick so the driver pulled over for a few minutes during the journey.
View attachment 167560 screenshot from Google Maps.

This is a good point! Its definitely unusual.

Do we know as fact that she was 'crying' on the bench?

I've seen a few comments mentioning crying/distressed/in distress and they're all 3 similar but very different situations.

An older person might out of politeness, perhaps say 'she was distressed' rather than 'she was off her face and vomming up BlueWKD like no tomorrow' ...

Do we know as fact that she was 'crying' on the bench?

I've seen a few comments mentioning crying/distressed/in distress and they're all 3 similar but very different situations.

An older person might out of politeness, perhaps say 'she was distressed' rather than 'she was off her face and vomming up BlueWKD like no tomorrow' ...
"Miss Squire was then seen on CCTV at 11.40pm in a distressed state, prompting a motorist driving past to stop and help her."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...bby-squire-make-plea-return-beg-daughter/amp/

I wonder now exactly what the definition of her being in a "distressed state" actually means. She must have looked very vulnerable for someone to actually pull over to check if she was okay. Plus what do they mean by him stopping to "help her"? Maybe she was falling over in the street and he actually nearly hit her with the car? I find it very worrying that she was such a cause for concern that someone actually felt the need to stop to help. I'm not speaking for myself as I probably would have done the same thing, but how many other people could say they would stop to "help" a 21 year old woman if literally all she was doing was sitting on a bench? IMO something she was doing was enough of a worry for this man to have to stop his car to try to assist her.

Yeah I noticed that as well, although if heavily intoxicated she could have been feeling worse for wear and had to stop to be ill during the journey, I also considered there could have been a need to stop at a cash point but I would have thought this may have been mentioned, the more confusing issue is the fact that she didn’t ask the man that asked if she was okay to use his phone, it would have been possible to call a friend or maybe parents? The events after being dropped of are just unusual... something doesn’t quite add up !

This is all speculation but -

At 21 I didn't know any of my mates' phone numbers, and in Libby's scenario I'd have used someone my age's phone to log into FB Messenger and contact my friends that way.

If a car had actually stopped whilst I was sat somewhere and an 'older' and possibly slightly dishevelled man (long grey hair, beard) got out and approached me, I probably wouldn't have accepted help from him. Maybe she either felt a bad vibe from him or felt he would escalate it and take her to the police when she didn't think that was necessary.

At 21 I didn't know any of my mates' phone numbers, and in Libby's scenario I'd have used someone my age's phone to log into FB Messenger and contact my friends that way.

If a car had actually stopped whilst I was sat somewhere and an 'older' and possibly slightly dishevelled man (long grey hair, beard) got out and approached me, I probably wouldn't have accepted help from him. Maybe she either felt a bad vibe from him or felt he would escalate it and take her to the police when she didn't think that was necessary.
Yes, agreed. I have said similar on an earlier page. A few people have stated that it's odd that she didn't accept help. Well, in pretty sure I wouldn't have done either.

Yes, agreed. I have said similar on an earlier page. A few people have stated that it's odd that she didn't accept help. Well, in pretty sure I wouldn't have done either.

As a woman & an avid reader on this site, I would be hard pressed myself to accept help from a male stranger who stopped his car, especially late at night.

I wonder now exactly what the definition of her being in a "distressed state" actually means. She must have looked very vulnerable for someone to actually pull over to check if she was okay. Plus what do they mean by him stopping to "help her"? Maybe she was falling over in the street and he actually nearly hit her with the car? I find it very worrying that she was such a cause for concern that someone actually felt the need to stop to help. I'm not speaking for myself as I probably would have done the same thing, but how many other people could say they would stop to "help" a 21 year old woman if literally all she was doing was sitting on a bench? IMO something she was doing was enough of a worry for this man to have to stop his car to try to assist her.

My husband and I (both O.A.P's) stopped to help a young lady who seemed to be in distress a few years ago. She was very drunk and rambling and falling all over the place. The worst decision we have ever made - she proceeded to attack us and then accused my husband of trying to rape her. Never ever again would we stop to help.

My husband and I (both O.A.P's) stopped to help a young lady who seemed to be in distress a few years ago. She was very drunk and rambling and falling all over the place. The worst decision we have ever made - she proceeded to attack us and then accused my husband of trying to rape her. Never ever again would we stop to help.
That's awful. You can always call the police. They will probably request an ambulance rather than help.

Wow, that's terrible. It does make me wonder though... Again, just trying to get into Libby's mindset/think how she may have been thinking. If she was distressed, drunk, cold and upset, then a male stranger approaches her to ask if she's alright, and she says she's fine to make him leave her alone - could it be possible that in her drunk state, she thinks the stranger is going to follow her by car, is scared that he might come back, so makes her way down Beresford and across the park because she believes in the dark, a vehicle won't follow her down there/won't be able to see her? As she was sat on the bench at 11:45pm, yet sighted on Beresford at 12:09am (not sure whether this means by a person/dashcam etc). I know I myself have been drunk and walking in the dark alone one night, and a vehicle pulled over and a male got out and began to approach me and I was so scared I ran into a heavily wooded area and hid until he went back to the car and left. It would have been easy for me to have got injured in the dark that night myself. Once again, it's all just thoughts and possibilities.

I have been wondering about her reaction to being approached in the 'distressed state' (police speak) she obviously was. It may well be she became aggressive. No fault either way, just all circumstances are never clear without facts from both sides.

I think this is a really good point. I know very few numbers off by heart now because there is little requirement to do so with mobile phones. If I don’t have my phone, I’ll ask whoever I’m with if they have X person’s number or if not I’ll ask to log in to social media.

Another thing I think is worth considering. Libby may have refused help from the man in the car if she deemed him a threat - we are conditioned from a young age to think older people in cars equal stranger danger, even subconsciously. However, at Libby’s age, she may not have considered a peer or someone of a similar age group a threat if they had approached her. We don’t always see the danger in people that we can relate too.

Jesus!!

Not a similar situation at all, but few weeks back I almost hit a car abandoned in the first lane of the motorway late at night. I didnt want to stop just incase - obvious safety risk. Instead I called the police and they sent a unit out right away. Never heard anything back so I hope it was all ok - but at least that way we know something has been done.

I think this is a really good point. I know very few numbers off by heart now because there is little requirement to do so with mobile phones. If I don’t have my phone, I’ll ask whoever I’m with if they have X person’s number or if not I’ll ask to log in to social media.

Another thing I think is worth considering. Libby may have refused help from the man in the car if she deemed him a threat - we are conditioned from a young age to think older people in cars equal stranger danger, even subconsciously. However, at Libby’s age, she may not have considered a peer or someone of a similar age group a threat if they had approached her. We don’t always see the danger in people that we can relate too.
I think i would myself. I would see any male as a potential threat. Less so a female.

I think it was the "generation-gap" here, because not for one minute did we think she would act as she did. Now we would just call the police and stay locked in the car.
I like to think that most very drunk women wouldn't react like that though. I hope it isn't just a generational difference. Still, I suppose you learnt your lesson. Good on you for trying!

I think i would myself. I would see any male as a potential threat. Less so a female.

But you probably wouldn’t leave the house without your phone incase of emergencies I would guess? I know I certainly wouldn’t. If you are posting on here, you know the horror stories. So in that sense I don’t think we would think the same way as Libby.

I’m thinking back to the Karen Buckley/Alexander Pacteau case again where she met him outside a club for the first time walked with him without force to his car and was dead 20 mins later. She probably thought he seemed safe because he was charming and similar age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500