ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think, though, that if she had been taken away from her parents because of those reasons, that their other children would be taken away as well. They are still living with the parents.
My thought was that perhaps this child either suffered some trauma or suffered from a mental or emotional issue that didn’t affect the other children. In some cases if parents do not want to commit a child a court can order a child to be placed, if it can be proven to be in the best interest or for the safety of the child.

A recent case I am familiar with happened this way after the birth of a baby girl. The older boy (12) had lived at home despite severe emotional issues until the baby was born. But then it was ruled he could be a danger to the baby and placement was ordered.

Not saying this is the case here but we just don’t know the circumstances.

I live on the other side of the world and stayed up late reading about Serenity. My MIL's family is from the Black Hills so we visit SD from time to time. Seeing the location, this caught my eye. I prayed before turning off my computer last night and before turning it on this morning, I SOOOOO hoped (and prayed) for good news! I wanted to read that she'd been located safe, found by a good samaritan. My heart is devastated to read the search has switched to recovery but with the weather and temperatures, I think we knew it could/would if she didn't turn up. I'm not giving up hope but it'll take a miracle.

My thought was that perhaps this child either suffered some trauma or suffered from a mental or emotional issue that didn’t affect the other children. In some cases if parents do not want to commit a child a court can order a child to be placed, if it can be proven to be in the best interest or for the safety of the child.

A recent case I am familiar with happened this way after the birth of a baby girl. The older boy (12) had lived at home despite severe emotional issues until the baby was born. But then it was ruled he could be a danger to the baby and placement was ordered.

Not saying this is the case here but we just don’t know the circumstances.
Sorry, I totally misunderstood what you meant and I agree with you. Such a heartbreaking situation, I feel for her family.

Sorry, I totally misunderstood what you meant and I agree with you. Such a heartbreaking situation, I feel for her family.

No problem, sometimes my words don’t clearly express my meaning. It makes sense to me until I reread what I wrote.

Still hoping for the best. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if she cane back inside and hid in a storage room and then was afraid to come out for fear she would get into trouble.

I forgot to mention that if she made it to highway 16 she could have been picked up by a number of people. Highway 16 is on the way to the national monument Mt. Rushmore. We get visitors from everywhere. Normally more in summer but you never know.

Well this is a new experience for me. I was Serenity. In residential treatment, a home like environment. She even looks like I did at that age. We had runners a few times and there is one thing I've not seen mentioned yet.

All of the people who lived in the vicinity were well aware we were there. They knew not to believe our stories if we took off. I'm guessing the wood cutting couple was not from the immediate area, or they likely would have known where she was from as well.

I am getting the impression that Serenity is not there from foster care. I think she has emotional/psychological issues that are not necessarily the fault of her family.

I don't know how long she has been there but it's certainly possible she was placed after her baby sister arrived. We have seen that several times, it's much easier to keep everyone safe when they are close to the same size. Once there is a baby in the picture it's completely different.

I do believe that this is a family like my own, who had to make the decision to place her there for her safety and/or her siblings safety. With 4 kids Mom and Dad wouldn't be able to watch her constantly. I believe this is more than likely a loving family who did what they felt was best.

It would be a heart wrenching decision. I would be so worried about trusting someone to care for my child full time. I would be a total wreck. Then if something like this happened I would never forgive myself. I'm sure Serenity's parents are far more capable of dealing with their emotions though.

I just cannot accept that this little girl's life is going to stop at 9 years old. Kids have instincts and are very resourceful. Even a child that is unpredictable is still going to have that instinct to survive. Please survive Serenity...

I successfully ran away from a residential treatment center ran out of a home when I was a girl. I was on the run for over 6 months through 3 states. I do not know if the staff even looked for me back then in the late 80's.

I am not sure what this facility looks like but have they done a full search in every corner of the building? she could have circled back and snuck in and be hiding.

I know it seems unlikely, but there have been such cases. There was a case in Detroit where a missing boy was discovered hiding in his own basement. It's definitely worth doing very thorough searches / re-searches of all parts of all the facility's property, IMO.
Charlie Bothuell V, Detroit boy found in basement, says his home was "terrible" - CBS News

"The case unfolded last June after Bothuell IV called police to report his son, then 12, missing from their home.
The boy was found by authorities 11 days later hiding behind boxes in the basement of the father's home.
When the boy was found alive, the elder Bothuell was in the middle of a live TV interview with Nancy Grace. He was speechless when Grace said his son was discovered in the basement of his home."

Still no word? I thought back in the beginning that they’d have dogs from the getgo but it turns out they did not until imo too much time had passed. I still pray with all my heart that Casey’s bear is protecting this child too. Praying they find this gorgeous child today!

The only good news is that she hasn't been found deceased already. It seems like that would have happened if she succumbed to the elements while running around outside. Maybe no news is good news?

This is what I'm going with. Praying for a miracle! Kids can be so resourceful, I hope she surprises us all and is found safe.

They are allowed home visits, but they usually want an advance notice given. If someone is on medication or has to have supervision 24/7, the house would send someone to help at home with her, if the family wasn't able to do so. No one can just come and pick her up randomly, and usually it's just the parents that are allowed to do so, and proper ID has to be shown. They are very careful letting a child go home, to make sure it is safe for the family or the child, depending on the situation.

No, I didn't mean Serenity going on a home visit. I meant one of the other girls in the facility. And then that girl passing a message along to someone Serenity knows. Probably far fetched for a 9 year old but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marionmiller