Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

Hesperia is where the brothers are from. There is a lot of desert out there. It's not too far from where the Mc Stay family was found. :-( Will the two brothers talk to receive reduced charges or something for telling where to find her? They have no body but seem quite confident she is no longer alive. I'm afraid to hear what evidence they have that makes them so sure. It must be quite compelling if there is no bail, right?

Just FYI

Early on FBI and a trafficking team were brought in and there was speculation as to why. At a staff meeting today we were told Moreno Valley is #1 in terms of trafficking in Riverside County. Hemet and San Jacinto, neighboring cities about 15-20 miles from Mo Val, are #2 and #3. I knew these areas were really high for trafficking, but I didn't know they were #1-3.

Many of us have had suspicions since they said no cameras showed her in the park exiting or entering any vehicles. That’s the moment I knew the friend likely had something to do with it, though I’d hoped not murder. She was so young: 16. Murder sucks at any age, but when it’s young people who had an entire lifetime yet to live...it really slams into me. So sad. Prayers for all families and friends. jmo

I hate to think that criminals like this just think they may as well kill her, if they sexually assaulted her (my presumption only) since both crimes hold stiff penalties and may as well not leave a witness...

I can't think why else they would have killed her...other than she knew them and could name them. Beyond horrifying. Jmo

Briones was last seen with Owen, and the two are believed to be high school friends, authorities said during a Tuesday evening news conference.

Aranda Briones is seen in an undated photo released by Moreno Valley police on Jan. 18, 2019.

Owen told police he dropped Briones off at Moreno Valley Community Park between 6 and 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 13, according to authorities. He said she got into a gray, four-door sedan and he left.

While there are several surveillance cameras at the park, police were not able to find any footage showing Briones there around that time, relatives have said.

Authorities have now confirmed they believe Owen lied about dropping her off at the park. And evidence found in the brothers' possession has allegedly linked them to the crime, authorities said. bbm

image2.jpeg

Owen Skyler Shover is shown in a booking photo released by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department on Feb. 12, 2019.

image1.jpeg

Gary Anthony Shover is shown in a booking photo released by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department on Feb. 12, 2019.

2 Brothers Arrested on Suspicion of Killing Missing Moreno Valley Teen Aranda Briones

Feb 12, 2019 NBC Los Angeles News 4

"This is an active investigation, and we are still seeking the public's assistance in helping us find Aranda," according to an agency statement.

Anyone who might have knowledge that can aid in the investigation was asked to contact the Central Homicide Unit at (951) 955-2777.

Sheriff Chad Bianco told The Press-Enterprise that Owen Shover had a prior relationship with the girl.

A neighbor of the Shovers said that sheriff's deputies had been to the brothers' home multiple times in recent weeks, and at one point they could be seen digging up clothing and blankets in the backyard.

Two Brothers Arrested for Alleged Murder of 16-Year-Old Teen

Hesperia is where the brothers are from. There is a lot of desert out there. It's not too far from where the Mc Stay family was found. :-( Will the two brothers talk to receive reduced charges or something for telling where to find her? They have no body but seem quite confident she is no longer alive. I'm afraid to hear what evidence they have that makes them so sure. It must be quite compelling if there is no bail, right?
ITA just like the McStay family and many others, out in the vast, empty desert.

California Arraignment and Bail:
The "Arraignment Hearing" process in California

"An arraignment is usually the first court hearing in a California criminal case. At an arraignment,
  • the accused generally enters a plea (guilty, not guilty, or no contest),
  • the issue of bail and release is determined, AND
  • a future court date is set (usually for the pretrial or, in a felony case, thepreliminary hearing)
...There are actually two arraignment hearings in the lifespan of a California felony case. One occurs at the very start of criminal proceedings. The second happens after the preliminary hearing...

...If you committed an offense that requires you to remain in "custody" (that is, in jail), you must be arraigned within 48 hours of your arrest, not including weekends and holidays...."

They were arrested late at night Mon Feb 11 and first arraignment is Fri Feb 15. Tues was a holiday for courts for Lincoln's birthday/President's Day. (eg, clock starts morning after arrest, but it was a holiday, so clock started Wed morning + 48 hours = Friday).

JMO

First, I want to send a virtual hug out to everyone on the thread that is feeling the weight and sadness of this breaking news. It's so sad when we hear these type of outcomes, and all too often. Clearly this young woman was loved deeply by her family, and they must be in terrible shock. My solemn prayers surround them.

As far as what happened, I have three theories.
1) She was pregnant and was demanding support or commitment, and the alleged Perp wanted none of it
2)They were partying, out of control, and got in a fight. Without original intent, it turned deadly. It wouldn't be the first time we have heard of such a scenario
3)They were partying and she O.D.'ed - they panicked and dumped her body

I think #2 is the most likely, and I speculate lots of people who were partying with them know this.

Amateur speculation and opinion only

#LASD Homicide Detectives are Investigating Found Human Remains, Palmdale

DATE: Wednesday, February 13, 2019

TIME: 1:15 P.M.

VICTIM: Unknown

SUSPECT(S): Unknown

UNIT: Homicide Bureau – Lieutenant Hoglund

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) Homicide detectives are investigating found human remains of an unknown individual discovered on Wednesday, February 13, 2019, on 235th Street East and Avenue T, in the city of Palmdale.

The investigation is ongoing and there is no additional information available at this time.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. If you prefer to provide information anonymously, you may call "Crime Stoppers" by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477), use your smartphone by downloading the “P3 Tips” Mobile APP on Google play or the Apple App Store or by using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org

Written by:
Armando Viera Jr., Deputy
Sheriff’s Information Bureau – Newsroom
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Hall of Justice - First floor
211 W. Temple St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-229-1700

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors