Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #5 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in every case many of us wish for a hero. In this one, there was a slight chance of it, even a relative, we did not know. If BR knew but for a few things what a hero he could be right now... I do wonder however without that video to the FBI if her *daddy* would be in jail on a very high bond... I think this is what makes it so difficult--BR may have had wrong intents and wrong actions but if not for that, would RJP be in jail on high bond...? I go to her letter, no further charges but there is also no video for that decade plus is there...? So it would be her testimony only very likely... While I do not endorse BR if he had less than good intents, I am not sure how any other scenario may have worked out... I give her the credit, I think she is a smart girl and I am going to hang onto that and believe that. I want to put it right, but this girl probably learned early in life how to deal with a manipulative man to make her abuse less severe... To save herself, to save her siblings, to save her dog, etc... BR and JRP had power over a vulnerable child but she is the smart one. I like to think.

Good points. She is definitely a survivor. She got herself out.

He allegedly smashed her phone but I wonder if it was when they realized per the news there were pings or to cover their tracks/location? He then allegedly got her a burner phone. What confuses me about this man is his actions. Some seem to be truly intending to help and others seem flat out predatory and quite probably playing her. Every time I say this I feel like I am naive or stupid and yet I see the conversation and the way it looks that he likely knows exactly what he is doing--but then we see him help her reach the FBI. I guess I just cannot stand it when things do not fit nor make sense :mad:. I am starting to realize they often probably never do...

With regard to the burner phone, I am unsure if it was confirmed but it was said that she used it to let her family know she was alive wasn't that what was said? I could be wrong, just my best recollection of how I thought it came about... I think in the defense document...

Well he knew he couldn't keep her forever. He probably didn't want to kill her. He got what he wanted from her. But he may have simply he been facing pressure as she kept asking when they were going to contact the authorities. Since he tried to cover their tracks so no one would be able to track the contact back to his home, it could've been a great way to keep her longer.

Happily, he wasn't as smart as the FBI.

I don't find his conduct inexplicable or contradictory. Helping her was an excellent pretext for having access to her. And maybe keeping her longer.

I think that's a firm no. I've actually never heard of a child returned to the home when they actually admit to the abuse they've endured. Unless they later recant.

It's far easier to remove a child and keep them in the foster care system than it is to prosecute someone and yet people are prosecuted for sex crimes daily based on the word of a child.
It happened to my friend when we were kids. I still don’t understand it.

They are not tracked state to state. It seems they are not tracked city to city, even,

As a teacher, as soon as we ( I worked with social workers, school,psychologists) got too close to asking questions about a child, the parents would move.

Privacy laws are really intense with kids. Parents have done a stellar on keeping info from being shared.

I so agree with you. I would add even county in itself at times. One office in the same courthouse does not inform the other office in the same building that should be informed, not in their job description perhaps...? Much less city to city, county to county or state to state. Feds? An entirely different level... It makes me wonder actually, this girl got the feds involved. I feel she distrusted the system and maybe had it fail her. Just my own speculation.

Well he knew he couldn't keep her forever. He probably didn't want to kill her. He got what he wanted from her. But he may have simply he been facing pressure as she kept asking when they were going to contact the authorities. Since he tried to cover their tracks so no one would be able to track the contact back to his home, it could've been a great way to keep her longer.

Happily, he wasn't as smart as the FBI.

I don't find his conduct inexplicable or contradictory. Helping her was an excellent pretext for having access to her. And maybe keeping her longer.

I do not disagree with you and hope that shows and you know that. I guess as you said he did not necessarily want to kill her and for me, it comes down to degrees. Both are very likely predators, but to what extent and how far would they go... His actions seem somewhat contradictory but I also can see where he had to help her if he wanted to try to create a "cover" and reason for what he did. I think in the realm of how many cases turn out, this had a good result compared to what it could be. And gives many areas to discuss at length quite honestly.

I was thinking today of someone I know who was with an older man while in her teens. Lived with him and stayed for maybe two decades before it came apart. All knew, no one did a thing. He was very controlling but they were a "couple" and not a thing was done. Would this mean the parents okayed it or her to be with this older man?? To me that is a mixed message with laws. And yes, LE was aware of it, small town, anyone that knew them knew. You know, like if a minor wants to get married, parents have to consent for it to happen would be a similar thing...

I am kind of going sideways here but many of our laws are contradictory... That very one I am talking about I think wanted out of her home life with her parents... So should a parent's consent mean anything for her to sleep with and live with an older man and not live with her parents? If that is how it was allowed to go on...

It makes me think of, if true, RJP saying to SP that if she leaves for someone else, he will not force himself on her anymore. I see many think that means she would no longer be "pure" or "his", I take it a bit differently... Sure, you have my blessing, get out I won't report you with someone else at 14...

Total speculation on my part. Just trying to work it all out and discuss and make sense of what we do know.

It happened to my friend when we were kids. I still don’t understand it.

I don't know you're age but it's a different world now. She's a teenager and able to explain in great detail what happened. They wouldn't send her back.

And there are many variables to what might have happened with your friend that you aren't aware of. Like maybe she was conflicted and recanted. That can happen. Abused kids miss family and siblings and pets. Maybe they found that a parent was alienating the child and forcing her to believe something that never happened. That can occur too.

I don't know.

But I'm positive she wouldn't have been sent back had she talked and then been examined.

Yeah it's interesting. More controlled victims can turn out like the Turpin kids - with delays and permanent damage from years of isolation and almost no way out.

Her interactions with this creep did enable the nightmare to ultimately end. I can't deny that.

I think the answer as to why she fell into his clutches is because he's a predator and child victims of abuse are at super high risk of further victimization by others.

Typically, they're seen as easy prey once a predator knows a child is being abused or neglected its like a bullseye on the child.

A case like JC's or Elizabeth Smart's where a happy, well-cared for middle- class teen is targeted and taken by a predator is pretty rare. But this kind of thing isn't.

I don't want to bring up trafficking again but my main argument when it's brought up in every missing person/kid case is demographics.

Sex trafficking victims in our country are overwhelmingly poor, black, from intense family dysfunction with abuse/addiction within the family, high numbers of sexual abuse, LGBTQ, suffering from addiction and/or other mental health disorder themselves.

She fit the family dysfunction/abuse demographic so that alone made her at high risk of being preyed upon in that manner.

It's a special kind of evil, isn't it, when someone specifically preys on a child already weakened and vulnerable by abuse? But they know that's easier prey. Like a lion going after a disabled or elderly or hurt or super young animal, as they can't fight as well as one more "fit".
Your reference to Elizabeth Smart and Jayme Closs having warm, supportive families for years before their experiences
Yeah it's interesting. More controlled victims can turn out like the Turpin kids - with delays and permanent damage from years of isolation and almost no way out.

Her interactions with this creep did enable the nightmare to ultimately end. I can't deny that.

I think the answer as to why she fell into his clutches is because he's a predator and child victims of abuse are at super high risk of further victimization by others.

Typically, they're seen as easy prey once a predator knows a child is being abused or neglected its like a bullseye on the child.

A case like JC's or Elizabeth Smart's where a happy, well-cared for middle- class teen is targeted and taken by a predator is pretty rare. But this kind of thing isn't.

I don't want to bring up trafficking again but my main argument when it's brought up in every missing person/kid case is demographics.

Sex trafficking victims in our country are overwhelmingly poor, black, from intense family dysfunction with abuse/addiction within the family, high numbers of sexual abuse, LGBTQ, suffering from addiction and/or other mental health disorder themselves.

She fit the family dysfunction/abuse demographic so that alone made her at high risk of being preyed upon in that manner.

It's a special kind of evil, isn't it, when someone specifically preys on a child already weakened and vulnerable by abuse? But they know that's easier prey. Like a lion going after a disabled or elderly or hurt or super young animal, as they can't fight as well as one more "fit".
Fortunately for Jamey Closs and Elizabeth Smart, they had years of warm, supportive parenting to guide and shape them and their father figures were consistent and believable before their horrors. SP had the total opposite, so I don't have real good feelings that she is going to come out of this the way we all wish she could. Because she doesn't know how true loving relationships are developed and and how they grow, she has to get over anger and fear and desparation and then learn from square one how to trust and love and believe. An enormous task for a kid.

As someone said to me, maybe it is from the sealed letter, etc. or things we have not heard nor seen yet with regard to threatening to kill her, telling her mother, etc.

While it does look like BR was with a 14 year old sexually (rape), I do want to see or hear the evidence of that. If so, he hung himself with that, no argument there. I find out something new all of the time in cases on here. I was always led to believe if a rape victim even showered, evidence of rape was gone. Now new tests say they can tell for up to weeks and days for sure. I think this is something the public should hear, I had no clue of that. It may deter some perps and it for sure will let some victims know proof can still be found after the fact and it is worth reporting.

There was evidence of rape during SLP's evaluation at the hospital. A big reason BR was denied bond. And also the fact that he covered up his tracks so well.

"In court Tuesday, assistant U.S. attorney Julie Pfluger said this proves what the charges allege: Rogers asked the girl to make a video, and the video was transported across state lines.

Pfluger also said she was present for a sexual assault exam in Madison, where the nurse said there was recent sexual activity and it was "not possible these are from the father."

At least one time that they could document in the hospital.

Madison man heads to trial for production of child *advertiser censored* in missing Tennessee girl case

Yes.
I keep thinking about Evie, the rescue dog, killed by an inmate, in prison.
Evie had been continually harmed.:(:(
Here, how many times did RP harm the dog, to teach SP a lesson.
The Creep should pay heavily for his crimes, and I hope this is a further charge, to the many others that will accumulate.
I am pleased RP will certainly pay in prison, by the many inmates.
Karma will follow him.:):)
MOO.
This!!

Jmo, am wondering what would have happened if this “rescuer” had been someon else...better or worse? Not sure what to think. I think I would have called police but would I have ever known if police removed her, helped her etc? Would police tell me if I kept after them?
I don't think they would because she is a minor. I doubt he even knows how she's doing now.

I do not disagree with you and hope that shows and you know that. I guess as you said he did not necessarily want to kill her and for me, it comes down to degrees. Both are very likely predators, but to what extent and how far would they go... His actions seem somewhat contradictory but I also can see where he had to help her if he wanted to try to create a "cover" and reason for what he did. I think in the realm of how many cases turn out, this had a good result compared to what it could be. And gives many areas to discuss at length quite honestly.

I was thinking today of someone I know who was with an older man while in her teens. Lived with him and stayed for maybe two decades before it came apart. All knew, no one did a thing. He was very controlling but they were a "couple" and not a thing was done. Would this mean the parents okayed it or her to be with this older man?? To me that is a mixed message with laws. And yes, LE was aware of it, small town, anyone that knew them knew. You know, like if a minor wants to get married, parents have to consent for it to happen would be a similar thing...

I am kind of going sideways here but many of our laws are contradictory... That very one I am talking about I think wanted out of her home life with her parents... So should a parent's consent mean anything for her to sleep with and live with an older man and not live with her parents? If that is how it was allowed to go on...

It makes me think of, if true, RJP saying to SP that if she leaves for someone else, he will not force himself on her anymore. I see many think that means she would no longer be "pure" or "his", I take it a bit differently... Sure, you have my blessing, get out I won't report you with someone else at 14...

Total speculation on my part. Just trying to work it all out and discuss and make sense of what we do know.

Whoa. Thought provoking about the "I won't force myself on you anymore if you're with someone else." Smart thought. She may have thought being with an unrelated adult male in a "relationship" was her way out.

I mean it is true that child victims of abuse can learn skewed coping mechanisms. Like how to use their bodies to survive.

And yeah, it's all back to degrees of evil again. I used to be a very black and white thinker when I was young. But over time I learned it's never that clear. There's almost always shades of gray.

IMO BR was a manipulative predator but quite likely a conflicted one. I actually don't think he has ever done anything this extreme before.

I get the sense that RP was unrepentant and much more evil. What he did to his own a child and for so many years.

I don't know you're age but it's a different world now. She's a teenager and able to explain in great detail what happened. They wouldn't send her back.

And there are many variables to what might have happened with your friend that you aren't aware of. Like maybe she was conflicted and recanted. That can happen. Abused kids miss family and siblings and pets. Maybe they found that a parent was alienating the child and forcing her to believe something that never happened. That can occur too.

I don't know.

But I'm positive she wouldn't have been sent back had she talked and then been examined.
It was the late 80s.

I think most of us do not trust the system entirely. We know too many stories about how our system fails children regularly. I’m guessing even this child, in 2019, was aware that the system has failed kids and that’s why she had no faith in it.

I think there must be hundreds of these predators out there and that is so frightening to me - sometimes I think the internet created access that may not be there otherwise / I am not blaming the net - just thinking it has given predators yet another way of locating potential victims IMO

It was the late 80s.

I think most of us do not trust the system entirely. We know too many stories about how our system fails children regularly. I’m guessing even this child, in 2019, was aware that the system has failed kids and that’s why she had no faith in it.
Certainly, just on this website alone, we have seen many examples of this- over and over again. I agree, they systems fails these children, and they pay the price.

All four of those children were terrorized and terrorized children turn to their pets for the consolation they don't get from their parents. He didn't just kill that pet dog, he SKINNED it and left it where they would be reminded. That is cold, evil, intentional malice toward all those children.
He is said to have told her he wanted her pregnant, how totally repugnant that would be to SP, to have his child and have to continue to live there. She may have felt that taking the steps she did with BDR was just a thin step below suicide. IMO

I would guess this child never had a childhood and then she is told she is going to be impregnated and trapped further while she is probably praying and hoping for an escape for herself and to have some semblance of a life if she understands it (being what she was taught in formative years, it is hard to say). To me, this is probably part of the catalyst, along with the dog, the moving, etc. that it was get out at all costs and it is now or never. jmho.

You prompted and I hope I'm not causing stress! I see where you are coming from. You experts on here would know better if LE is letting SLP know just how safe she will be? Would they reassure her that they have discovered her truths, detailed in her letter? Could they? This would be going on since the gag order, with just that single charge showing.

I am no expert by any means. I would HOPE as you said they have told her they know her truths from the letter and are further investigating. I guess I just hope her stepdad sees no light of day from this point forward. And am impatient to see more charges... The experts could tell us more--like is it likely to do a case and charges from her years of abuse will take some time to build? Quite possible I would think. I just do not want to see him out or having a chance in he** of seeing the light of day. And she probably feels like that a million times over...

Whoa. Thought provoking about the "I won't force myself on you anymore if you're with someone else." Smart thought. She may have thought being with an unrelated adult male in a "relationship" was her way out.

I mean it is true that child victims of abuse can learn skewed coping mechanisms. Like how to use their bodies to survive.

And yeah, it's all back to degrees of evil again. I used to be a very black and white thinker when I was young. But over time I learned it's never that clear. There's almost always shades of gray.

IMO BR was a manipulative predator but quite likely a conflicted one. I actually don't think he has ever done anything this extreme before.

I get the sense that RP was unrepentant and much more evil. What he did to his own a child and for so many years.
Gitana, with JUST the current charges on RP, if found guilty, what would the maximum sentence be?

I am really concerned it may not be long enough.

Before RP's FB was taken down there were pictures of his/their church, he was featured in some pictures and they ran a picture of SP, asking for her return and described her participation in church activities. I wonder why she didn't feel she could find support there. The link for this doesn't exist anymore so I hope this doesn't go against TOS.

Hmm. Pretty sad if one cannot go to their church for help... I believe in God but mankind in church can sure vary... If they cared and asked for her return before *dad* was arrested, where are they now to help her and condemn *dad*? Or at least to help her if they cannot judge...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod