IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charges Mr. Smollett may encounter:
18 U.S.C. § 1038 - U.S. Code Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 1038 | FindLaw

This covers the mail with white powder, it is a criminal act to send a substance that could be a biological weapon in the mail. It is under "Hoaxes" and carries a sentence for up to five years.

For filing false police report, that is, "disorderly conduct", fine up to $10,000, does not specify prison.
Illinois Statutes Chapter 720. Criminal Offenses § 5/26-1 | FindLaw

I am not sure about additional charges, possibly conspiracy?

And here is a man who filed a false hate crime hoax in Iowa, handslap. Don't do it again. Great precedent.
College Student From Naperville Lied About Hate Crime, Police Say

Last edited:
18 U.S.C. § 1038 - U.S. Code Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 1038 | FindLaw

This covers the mail with white powder, it is a criminal act to send a substance that could be a biological weapon in the mail. It is under "Hoaxes" and carries a sentence for up to five years.

For filing false police report, that is, "disorderly conduct", fine up to $10,000, does not specify prison.

I hope conspiracy is part of the bundle of charges. After all, they did conspire and all the FBI has to do is follow the money. Who paid the brothers to write the letter containing the powder, who sent the letter? Was Congressman Rush paid to send the letter to the FBI asking for a criminal investigation?Several possibilities of co-conspirators.

JMO

Yes, getting back on track.. it will be interesting to see the punishment once handed down. I just think after learning about this individual, he is talented, he is wealthy, he has a platform. He has swayed people to his logic, he could have and does endorse candidates he think can make a change, and to take a short cut, a dangerous short cut that has pulled LE and FBI resources away from one of the most dangerous cities in America and divide us further is something that one can't calculate. Sure some will point to this as an example of race-baiting/activism gone wrong. Some will dismiss it as an isolated incident and that the KKK is everywhere.

But lets all hope for justice for hoaxes like this and when "proven" crime comes across one of our people, let's scourge them from society until they are either rehabilitated or chiseling rocks for the rest of their lives..

Institutional racism was defined by Sir William Macpherson in the 1999 Lawrence report (UK) as: "The collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people.

Institutional racism - Wikipedia
Thanks. "Collective failure" is yet another buzzword phrase. And on it goes...

Wow. And to think, he likely staged this hoax because his letter didn’t get the level of attention he hoped for.

It got attention, the absolute worst kind.

Forget the staged attack, this is where he is going to run into the biggest legal issues.

The bombshell revelations just keep coming.

ETA: From the article:

A law firm partner who asked not to be identified by name spoke with us about the federal problems ahead for whoever mailed the letter: “If they have Smollett on the letter, he’ll be facing ’terroristic hoax’ charges, a felony. There may be federal obstruction charges as well.”

All in all, the federal legal options are numerous: “If they want to bury him, they can.”

Meanwhile, the Osundairo brothers are reportedly holed up in a Chicago hotel with police protection
Ironic, isn't it? A piece of paper, instead of a "brutal attack", could be his undoing.

Could JS be so Machiavellian as to flip this all on the African brothers? The police found the cut up magazines in their apartment, they bought the rope, and the hats. They admit to being there, and beating Smollett.

Cellphone records and money could all be explained by JS saying he was paying them for personal training. JS can say he thought they were white, in his terror, because of what they said, and they were in warm clothing with gloves, face masks, hats.

Reasonable doubt all over. JS walks. Still with his "victimhood" intact. He can cry again, that no one believed he was attacked, in fear of his life, only to find out it was by some people he was trying to help.

The Chicago PD wanted to make him look bad, because they are...
Meh — maybe in a movie like The Usual Suspects, but this clown and his narrative? I think he’d have a hard time selling jackets to Eskimos, or people in Chicago when it’s 29 below.

I’m not even a little worried about something like that happening.

A criminal mastermind would struggle to pull that off, and JS may just turn out to be the worst criminal in history.

A man so arrogant, so completely out of touch with reality, thought he could sell a story that to most of us, was laughable.

If he thought that he could pull that off, then there’s just no way that he sufficiently covered his tracks before hand. And I truly doubt that anyone could.

There is going to be cell phone data, surveillance footage, and numerous pieces of physical evidence that likely proves that he was acting in concert with these two men.

We’ve already heard some damning information, and I think that will be the least of it.
Yes to all of this. It would be hard to write a bumbling Pink Panther style escapade this full of holes.

I’m not even a little worried about something like that happening.

A criminal mastermind would struggle to pull that off, and JS may just turn out to be the worst criminal in history.

A man so arrogant, so completely out of touch with reality, thought he could sell a story that to most of us, was laughable.

If he thought that he could pull that off, then there’s just no way that he sufficiently covered his tracks before hand. And I truly doubt that anyone could.

There is going to be cell phone data, surveillance footage, and numerous pieces of physical evidence that likely proves that he was acting in concert with these two men.

We’ve already heard some damning information, and I think that will be the least of it.
I’m sure a lawyer on here knows, but do prosecutors have to lay out all of their evidence beforehand (and thus give someone’s defense attorneys at least a chance to concoct creative stories), or can they hold back pieces of evidence in reserve that they can whip out at any given moment if necessary to then crush the defendant?

I’m sure a lawyer on here knows, but do prosecutors have to lay out all of their evidence beforehand (and thus give someone’s defense attorneys at least a chance to concoct creative stories), or can they hold back pieces of evidence in reserve that they can whip out at any given moment if necessary to then crush the defendant?
They do have to share all that information. Holding anything back, is grounds for an appeal.

No surprises in regards to evidence.

Last edited:
I looked it up right after I posted it. Bummer in one sense, though I don’t think it will matter!
It won’t. Not if the evidence is overwhelming, which I have every expectation that it will be.

He’s facing state charges, and likely federal ones as well.

Tough to duck two fists flying in your direction.

Ironically, I think he claimed that he did just that.

Not this time though.

So well said, however it doesn't stop there.. the innuendos of blacks or a minority group being the bogey man in the 80's is now replaced by straight white males. The times I have to "deprogram" my child much like my mom had to do for us in our minority household is astounding. The foster kids I mentor and their foster siblings thoughts on "whites" is absurd. So many teaching moments I have about judging people for their actions and not their skin color among other life lessons is really what I try to hit home. There is profit for division, on both sides, but stepping out of the victim role and into a victor role is where I try to reside.. unity and tolerance not identity pecking order and acceptance of everything under the sun.

"Profit for division"

Absolutely spot on. jmo

TMZ

Jussie Smollett's "Empire" screen time is getting slashed in the wake of a growing sentiment that he staged the so-called "attack."

Production sources tell TMZ ... Jussie was supposed to have 9 scenes and a big musical number in the second to the last episode -- which is being shot now -- but, 5 of his scenes have been cut, and his musical number has been 86'd.

As for the remaining 4 scenes ... we're told he's no longer the focus. The scene features an ensemble, meaning he's flanked by a number of cast members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24