IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have no argument from me that hate crimes should not occur, period.
However, I'd like to break down the statistics to clearly view this issue and others brought up by the JS case; racism against blacks, and homophobia and the impact that (based on JS interview) white people have on perpetuating these crimes.

2017- The entire United States:
1550 incidents similar to the JS "initial" assault and battery case, where the perpetrator was white and/or 0.00000475% of the entire US population.

Before we call anything an epidemic, or a national disgrace or whatever...Let us use the information before us to learn the truth.

(Much snipped above by me!)

However, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are about 250,000 bias incidents yearly in the U. S., about half of which are reported. Apparently it does national surveys to estimate the number of all crime incidents, including hate crimes, and is the second main government resource for tracking crimes, the other being the FBI resource linked in the post you responded to.

Bureau of Justice Statistics - Hate Crime Victimization, 2004-2015 Press Release

[National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)
Data collected from a nationally representative sample of households that are interviewed twice a year about criminal victimization.

WASHINGTON — U.S. residents experienced an average of 250,000 hate crime victimizations each year from 2004 to 2015 and the majority of these were not reported to police, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today. There was no statistically significant change in the rate of violent hate crime victimization (about 0.7 per 1,000 persons age 12 or older) during the 12-year period.

Violent crime accounted for a higher percentage of hate (90 percent) than nonhate (25 percent) victimizations during 2011-15. The majority of hate crimes during the period were simple assault (62 percent), followed by aggravated assault (18 percent), robbery (8 percent) and theft (7 percent).

Findings are from BJS's National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which collects data on nonfatal crimes both reported and not reported to police. Hate crimes in the NCVS are defined according to the Hate Crime Statistics Act, which specifies hate crimes as those that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, gender or gender identity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or ethnicity.
]

While Chicago was assigning dozens of police officers to find "justice" for Smollett, 18 people were murdered, and one infant was shot in the head and is on life support. and about 60 or more shot and not killed. Nobody cared about those people, it was all about Smollett, and I find that disgusting. Politicians use Jussie Smollett, while a 1-year-old boy shot in the head is set aside

For Chicago natives they just want this whole story and frankly Empire to just get the hell out. There is so much crime and murder in Chicago that they are numb to it. Just as your post relays, people who live there and have all their lives they are insulted. They know they cannot walk to get a sandwich at 2AM on a good day. They cannot let their children walk down the street alone to their little friends house in broad daylight. Much less what is claimed by this wannabe "star"

JMO

I am waiting for the whole "method acting" rehearsal excuse. How many "stars" have we heard reports of being a "method" actor who actually "lived" the parts 24/7 they are playing for movie parts. Some actor prescribe to it and some do not. I can remember actors being found living lives of the homeless in downtown LA, etc. I can just see Jussie and the network cooking up a story like that for this whole scenario. They could say it was rehearsing upcoming scripts, that got out of hand. They didn't want to say that's what it was because they did not want to expose story lines for the upcoming season 6 that starts March 6th, 2019.

Just Watch

JS is no Heath Ledger. He barely got a scratch (and just a scratch - no broken bones, black eyes, etc). A real method actor wouldn't have played pat-a-cake. It was far too convenient for JS to be barely touched and then off singing so I don't think a jury would buy it.

However, I'd like to break down the statistics to clearly view this issue and others brought up by the JS case; racism against blacks, and homophobia and the impact that (based on JS interview) white people have on perpetuating these crimes.

In 2017, according to the FBI statistics you linked:
There were 7106 single biased incidents in the United States.
5261 incidents based on race and sexual orientation. (JS case)
60% of those crimes were attacks on persons, rather than buildings, etc. (JS case).
Total number of racial/homophobic assaults and batteries, 3156. (JS case)
Percentage of these cases where the perpetrator is known, 50% were committed by white people. (JS case)

Within the whole of the United States during 2017, according to stats provided, it is safe to say there were probably around 1550 racial and homophobic assault and battery hate crimes committed by white people.

1550 incidents similar to the JS "initial" assault and battery case, where the perpetrator was white and/or 0.00000475% of the entire US population.

2017- City of Chicago only:
29,764 violent crimes
8828 aggravated battery
6591 aggravated assault
https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2017-Annual-Report.pdf

Before we call anything an epidemic, or a national disgrace or whatever...Let us use the information before us to learn the truth.
Thank you for posting this.

JS is no Heath Ledger. He barely got a scratch (and just a scratch - no broken bones, black eyes, etc). A real method actor wouldn't have played pat-a-cake. It was far too convenient for JS to be barely touched and then off singing so I don't think a jury would buy it.
I wondered if the scratches weren't makeup.

(Much snipped above by me!)

However, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are about 250,000 bias incidents yearly in the U. S., about half of which are reported. Apparently it does national surveys to estimate the number of all crime incidents, including hate crimes, and is the second main government resource for tracking crimes, the other being the FBI resource linked in the post you responded to.

Bureau of Justice Statistics - Hate Crime Victimization, 2004-2015 Press Release

[National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)
Data collected from a nationally representative sample of households that are interviewed twice a year about criminal victimization.

WASHINGTON — U.S. residents experienced an average of 250,000 hate crime victimizations each year from 2004 to 2015 and the majority of these were not reported to police, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today. There was no statistically significant change in the rate of violent hate crime victimization (about 0.7 per 1,000 persons age 12 or older) during the 12-year period.

Violent crime accounted for a higher percentage of hate (90 percent) than nonhate (25 percent) victimizations during 2011-15. The majority of hate crimes during the period were simple assault (62 percent), followed by aggravated assault (18 percent), robbery (8 percent) and theft (7 percent).

Findings are from BJS's National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which collects data on nonfatal crimes both reported and not reported to police. Hate crimes in the NCVS are defined according to the Hate Crime Statistics Act, which specifies hate crimes as those that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, gender or gender identity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or ethnicity.
]

I think we should focus on this crime, and Jussie Smollett.

Gardenista posted in previous thread:
Jussie Smollett‏Verified account @JussieSmollett
Frauds are everywhere y’all. Protect the mind, heart and spirit of you and your people at all costs. Just remember... Salt, cocaine and anthrax can all appear to be sugar...(the “refined” kind of course) just be careful out here fam. Happy Sunday. Love you. Real talk. Love on.

9:43 AM - 27 Jan 2019 from Chicago, IL

This is good evidence he was upset about the letter under-reaction. IMO

I think we should focus on this crime, and Jussie Smollett.

Agreed. And the data and links to the prevalence of actual hate crimes perpetrated in the US is relevant and valuable to this discussion and thread, imo.

It provides balance, perspective and context — and it steers us all back to the topic at hand. Moo

Important and accurate info.

Thank you for sharing facts and context related to issues brought out during the Websleuths discussion of Jussie’s case.

In 2017, according to the FBI statistics you linked:
There were 7106 single biased incidents in the United States.
5261 incidents based on race and sexual orientation. (JS case)
60% of those crimes were attacks on persons, rather than buildings, etc. (JS case).
Total number of racial/homophobic assaults and batteries, 3156. (JS case)
Percentage of these cases where the perpetrator is known, 50% were committed by white people. (JS case)

Within the whole of the United States during 2017, according to stats provided, it is safe to say there were probably around 1550 racial and homophobic assault and battery hate crimes committed by white people.

2017- City of Chicago only:
29,764 violent crimes
8828 aggravated battery
6591 aggravated assault
https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2017-Annual-Report.pdf

Agreed. And the data and links to the prevalence of actual hate crimes perpetrated in the US is relevant and valuable to this discussion and thread, imo.

It provides balance, perspective and context — and it steers us all back to the topic at hand. Moo

If the assault on Smollett was staged, then wouldn't his allegations constitute a hate crime against his imaginary "white" attackers? Is it a new era where data and prevalence of hate crimes against white people needs to be brought to the surface? Hypothetically, could a white woman who is raped by a man from any other race also be a victim of a hate crime - hate of women and hate of white people?

Jussie Smollett Ready to Talk to Police Again, Grand Jury Standing By

[...]

Ola and Abel Osundairo were at a Chicago courthouse Tuesday, ready to testify before the grand jury ... according to sources connected to the case, however, that was nixed at the last minute. We're told they got a call that Jussie's legal team -- and possibly Jussie himself -- had agreed to talk to police.

[...]

Our sources say the brothers told police they had nothing to do with the letter, and only saw it in a photo on Jussie's phone.

We reached out to the Osundairos' attorney, Gloria Schmidt, for comment ... and she said, "All the facts will come out soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member