OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, my mistake in nomenclature. I was going to correct it, but thanks for sparing me the effort.

That said, JMO, it doesn't change the fact that DR was doing things in her life during the time leading up to her brutal, senseless murder. She learned new skills, took care of her family, worked hard at her job, helped CR1 sell used cars. AW was just spending her days plotting to kill DR, her children, ex husband and much of the rest of her family. Those women and their families didn't have much in common, JMO.
I agree.

Dana worked hard and supported her family. Angie sat around plotting to kill everyone in sight and stealing anything she could get her hands on. I see no resemblance between the two.

Same with Chris and Billy. Chris worked hard at BBL and went home and worked on cars to sell them. He supported his family and even purchased a new home for his kids and Dana. Billy sat around drawing SSI, living in his sons home and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down while plotting to kill eight good people.

No comparison IMO.

Other than the pot growing/selling which they were never charged with, I don't recall any criminal activity the Rhodens were charged with or found guilty of. There were some physical altercations only. The Wagners had quite a few charges against them for several different things. They got off pretty easy on some of those...
I agree. I don't even think of growing pot as illegal. It's legal to grow and sell in my state for medicinal purposes. Heck my neighbor is probably growing a couple of plants right now.

JMO

I agree.

Dana worked hard and supported her family. Angie sat around plotting to kill everyone in sight and stealing anything she could get her hands on. I see no resemblance between the two.

Same with Chris and Billy. Chris worked hard at BBL and went home and worked on cars to sell them. He supported his family and even purchased a new home for his kids and Dana. Billy sat around drawing SSI, living in his sons home and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down while plotting to kill eight good people.

No comparison IMO.

Yep. And KR got up early every day to drive all the way into Columbus to work at a hard job. Same with the James Manley, who gets up every day to drive long distances to work at logging, a dangerous, difficult job. Yet the W's (and LE) tried to frame him for the murders.

I agree. I don't even think of growing pot as illegal. It's legal to grow and sell in my state for medicinal purposes. Heck my neighbor is probably growing a couple of plants right now.

JMO

Agree. It should have been legalized in Ohio long ago. Some growers are dangerous people, engaging in violence, murder, etc. and part of organized crime (thinking of stories from northern Calif). Rhodens weren't doing that, nor any of the other local growers who were later busted.

Here it is. Mittens found it

Church’s youth leader accused of sex crimes

Church’s youth leader accused of sex crimes
Three girls report assaults, officials say

Columbus Dispatch/June 22, 2006
By Kelly Hassett

A Scioto County church youth-group leader has been accused of sexually assaulting three girls who were under his care.

Raymond Brown, 33, of Otway, was indicted Tuesday on six counts of rape in connection with two girls in his youth group at Lucasville Mission Church, said Jodi Conkel, a detective with the Scioto County sheriff’s office. Brown also faces one count of gross sexual imposition involving another girl, authorities said.

The girls were between ages 12 and 16 at the time of the abuse, Scioto County Assistant Prosecutor Julie Hutchinson said yesterday.

She and investigators are talking with two other girls whom they believe Brown also abused; one is 9 years old.

A message left yesterday at the church, about 75 miles south of Columbus, was not returned.

Brown, who is being held in the Scioto County jail without bond, faces up to life in prison if convicted, because he is accused of using force against the girls, Hutchinson said.

Deputy sheriffs got a call May 7 from adults at the church who said several girls told them Brown had sex with them numerous times, authorities said.

Two of the three girls said they were raped between January and March of this year, Hutchinson said.

So she was going to that church at the time? This church is in Scioto County (1082 Umblebee Road Beaver, OH 45613 ). The church on her property is on Mt. Etna Rd., in Piketon (Pike County).

https://www.manta.com/c/mw2t9hl/lucasville-mission-inc

Agree. It should have been legalized in Ohio long ago. Some growers are dangerous people, engaging in violence, murder, etc. and part of organized crime (thinking of stories from northern Calif). Rhodens weren't doing that, nor any of the other local growers who were later busted.

Ya'll, have not been around the drug world much have you? I mean that with no snark intended, at all. I won't say as far as the Rs/HHG b/c they are not being tried for any drug crimes, so we do not know what kind of op they were truly running, but if it is not legal, then other illegal activities, arrangements, etc..., will usually attach themselves to that business.

Happened upon this video from a DeWine/Reader press conference on April 13, 2017. It was interesting to watch in light of what we know now.
These are not exact quotes, but paraphrased from my notes. The following are my impressions and opinions only(in random order):

1) I think Reader/DeWine (CR/MD) had recently figured out the W4 were responsible for the murders. The purpose of the very emotional press conference with victim’s pictures seemed to be an emotional appeal for more people to come forward and talk to police. CR announced a $10,000 Crimestoppers reward and urged people to donate and increase it.
2) MD kept repeating, the FOCUS of this investigation is murder and not for uncovering drug related crimes. Wouldn’t say outright there would be immunity given to informants for drug offenses, but alluded to it. Seemed CR/MD thought informants they were looking to interview might be involved in drug related activities. Maybe John Doe?
3) MD said this investigation has provided him with new knowledge of decades of criminal activity in PC. I read it as the murder investigation may have inadvertently solved many previous unrelated crimes (drugs, murders, money laundering, fraud?). Biggest investigation in BCI history.
4) Reader struck me as extremely sincere. I highly doubt LE corruption in this case.
5) MD said - We believe there are people out there with information. Better for people to come forward before we have to drag you in.
6) The press conference was also directed at the W4. The W’s interviews seemed to intensify immediately after 4/13/2017. CR and MD both said – we know who you are and we will get you.
7) I think the W4 started packing soon after 4/13/2017 and left for AK a month later.
8) Stats 356 days into the investigation, as of 4/13/2017
883 tips
465 interviews (some people were interviewed multiple times)
38 search warrants issued (makes you realize we know the locations of only a few of the searches that were carried out)
60 cyber-extractions – MD clarified, cell phone and DVR etc.
9) AC was called up to the podium and introduced. She was already on the case. That tells me they had already starting building a solid case against the W4 as of 4/13/2017.
10) Kids in foster care as of 4/13/17 with family visitation. Don’t know if that included SW
11) CR – I’ve got a message for the killers….. ….. in the most horrific way I’ve seen in 24 years. We are getting closer. We will find you….we are coming, we will find you, and we will arrest you and you will be prosecuted.

If anyone has any questions, I’m attaching a link to the video of the 4/13/2017 press conference I watched.

No doubt I will be editing for grammar! If I edit any content I will add an ETA
I've got a question if anyone knows. The only DVR I know of is the one for my cable tv. In looking it up, I see they are most commonly used in home security systems and can store data to a disk drive, USB flash drive, SD memory card, SSD or other local or networked mass storage device. If any of the victim's had DVR's in place recording the killers would have had to either remove the disk, flash drive or memory cards or just taken the whole machine. (I doubt the R's would have data going to a networked mass storage because of the weed business) Since MD included DVR's in his description of extracting, could the killers have left the DVR's in place at the crime scenes? If so, minus the disk, flash drives or cards, could images still have been left on those machines?

Wow! You put a lot of research into this synopsis thankx.
I think it only took 6 months for Sheriff Reader to suspect the Wagners.... My 2 Cents is that the Wagners were considered suspects at that time, in LE circles (but not publicly disclosed).

This is when LM makes statements that sound like LE is not targeting the Manleys anymore, in fact, starting at this time the Manleys want to hear from LE more often.

Also the 2 fights are mentioned that happened before the murders, but only that it involved the Rhodens.

UPDATE 10/18/16 @ 6:32 p.m.
PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- It’s been nearly six months since eight members of the Rhoden family were found killed execution-style at four separate crime scenes in Pike County on April 22.

Though nearly half a year has passed, very few details about the case have been released, and investigators are not commenting on specifics. That is until Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said he believes the ones responsible are from the Pike County area, and not from out of town like previously thought.

“I can consider everyone a suspect now, but to me there is no indication that the Mexican drug cartel was involved in this homicide,” Sheriff Reader told media outlets................. "

.........Investigators aren't releasing too many details because they don't want to jeopardize the case. However, they have said they believe it was more than just one lone attacker, and the Rhodens were specifically targeted.

Sheriff: Killers in Pike County may be locals
Authorities give new details to the I-Team
Posted: 12:00 PM, Oct 17, 2016
Updated: 10:24 PM, Oct 17, 2016

By: Hillary Lake , James Leggate

PIKETON, Ohio -- It wasn't a Mexican drug cartel. The killers weren't from another country.

The people who wiped out eight members of a family in Pike County last April are likely locals.

At least, that's the theory Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader is leaning toward. For the first time since the killings, Reader recently sat down with a reporter to discuss the investigation at length and in depth.

"That's my belief," he said.

Six months later, the Rhoden family massacre still haunts residents of Pike County. It's now considered among the most notorious homicide cases in Ohio history........... "

.......Leonard Manley said he's upset the sheriff is not keeping his family in the loop.

Manley said police ONCE (my emphasis) treated his family as suspects. Investigators took DNA samples from him and had his daughter take a lie detector test, he said.

With the focus now zeroed in on locals, Attorney General Mike DeWine said investigators have reconstructed every aspect of the victims' lives.

But it's still not clear if they've identified a suspect.

"I'm not going to say more than that," DeWine said. "What I am going to say is that someone who will be watching this today knows something that will be helpful to us."

Records show none of the victims had criminal records. Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.
You know hindsight is really an interesting thing. After reading these 10-2016 articles again it just brings up to me again that the LE putting that tracker on JM's truck 6 months later could have been they were fearful, for whatever reasons known to them, that JM might go vigilante. Having him destroy it and be arrested not very long after gave them a way to really scare him out of that mindset and make it seem to the public that he may be involved, keeping the W's off guard. The text thing BCI told LM still confuses but could have been a planted red herring?

Ya'll, have not been around the drug world much have you? I mean that with no snark intended, at all. I won't say as far as the Rs/HHG b/c they are not being tried for any drug crimes, so we do not know what kind of op they were truly running, but if it is not legal, then other illegal activities, arrangements, etc..., will usually attach themselves to that business.
Years ago I knew someone in VT who grew their own harvests, packaged and sold it locally. There was nothing bad going on in their lives attached to this "business". I even asked them once weren't they afraid of getting robbed? He said none of the locals would do that to him. I know times have changed greatly since then but maybe the R's had a similar deal going on, kept it small enough?

Yep. And KR got up early every day to drive all the way into Columbus to work at a hard job. Same with the James Manley, who gets up every day to drive long distances to work at logging, a dangerous, difficult job. Yet the W's (and LE) tried to frame him for the murders.
Frankie worked at a sawmill. I believe the only "adult" that didn't have a job in the R's family was HG. JM and even BJM has a work history.

Still to this day I cannot wrap my head around what the Wagners did. I just can't fathom thinking "i have a problem, oh, I know just the solution I'll kill someone, that'll solve my problem." Then, they did not stop with one person or one location but killed 8 people in 4 locations !

Further, I find it hard to believe this was their first time doing something like that.

I lost my paper with the next hearing dates. Does someone have it handy and if so can you please post the next hearing dates?
I have these written down
AW - March 20 1:30 pm
JW - Jan 24 11:00 am (pre-trial and motion hearings)
FW - March 28 1:30 pm
GW4 - March 22 1:30 pm
GW3 - March 29 1:30 pm
RN - March 28 10:00 am

I agree.

No comparison IMO.

In my opinion a habitual thief will steal to support their addictions. It all starts with Marijuana before harder drugs are introduced to gain that euphoria.

By all accounts the Rhodens were honest hard working individuals who grew a little weed on the side. Either to consume or sell?

What if the connection between the two families all started with the marijuana? Then JW and HMR happened. Naturally the families would intertwine from then on.

We know the W parents are scroungers and thieves, its not inconceivable to think fronts for weed were common at this point.

Then HMR breaks things off with JW which means no more fronts for the W4.

GW3 and GW4 both strike me as dependent on marijuana. Has anyone experienced an addict go a couple days without thc in their system? It's not pretty. Anger sets in and your overall view on life is just rage and jealousy.

Sorry I'm getting off topic but I agree with everything you said Raisins. These families had nothing in common.

Years ago I knew someone in VT who grew their own harvests, packaged and sold it locally. There was nothing bad going on in their lives attached to this "business". I even asked them once weren't they afraid of getting robbed? He said none of the locals would do that to him. I know times have changed greatly since then but maybe the R's had a similar deal going on, kept it small enough?

I specifically said, I won't say as far as the Rs/HHG b/c they are not being tried for any drug crimes, so we do not know what kind of op they were truly running. We do not know other than it was said, in MSM, by LE that it was commercial/sophisticated. I didn't mean that to sound harsh, but, the op was illegal, but they are not on trial for the op. it may, however, factor in at trial, as part of the "undercurrent" of drugs.

Last edited:
In my opinion a habitual thief will steal to support their addictions. It all starts with Marijuana before harder drugs are introduced to gain that euphoria.

By all accounts the Rhodens were honest hard working individuals who grew a little weed on the side. Either to consume or sell?

What if the connection between the two families all started with the marijuana? Then JW and HMR happened. Naturally the families would intertwine from then on.

We know the W parents are scroungers and thieves, its not inconceivable to think fronts for weed were common at this point.

Then HMR breaks things off with JW which means no more fronts for the W4.

GW3 and GW4 both strike me as dependent on marijuana. Has anyone experienced an addict go a couple days without thc in their system? It's not pretty. Anger sets in and your overall view on life is just rage and jealousy.

Sorry I'm getting off topic but I agree with everything you said Raisins. These families had nothing in common.

Someone who smokes weed regularly and goes off weed, will get a bit cranky, but that's about it. The old propaganda film Reefer Madness, was a lie. Now, Heroin? Alcohol? Total, curl up in a ball and cry for your mommy. Alcohol, btw is the gateway drug.

Someone who smokes weed regularly and goes off weed, will get a bit cranky, but that's about it. The old propaganda film Reefer Madness, was a lie. Now, Heroin? Alcohol? Total, curl up in a ball and cry for your mommy. Alcohol, btw is the gateway drug.

Hey rsd1200 I have to respectfully disagree with you. Going off personal experiences I've witnessed the aggression first hand and it wasn't pretty. I won't divulge details. Jmo

So she was going to that church at the time? This church is in Scioto County (1082 Umblebee Road Beaver, OH 45613 ). The church on her property is on Mt. Etna Rd., in Piketon (Pike County).

https://www.manta.com/c/mw2t9hl/lucasville-mission-inc

I'm not sure if this will take you directly to the image, but based on the last page in the document and some other filings I think they might be one in the same, or at min both are connected to Flying W.

https://bizimage.sos.state.oh.us/api/image/pdf/5681_0023

I thought the reason LE had a tracker on JM's truck was because he allegedly wanted to take revenge on the W's?

I specifically said, I won't say as far as the Rs/HHG b/c they are not being tried for any drug crimes, so we do not know what kind of op they were truly running. We do not know other than it was said, in MSM, by LE that it was commercial/sophisticated. I didn't mean that to sound harsh, but, the op was illegal, but they are not on trial for the op. it may, however, factor in at trial, as part of the "undercurrent" of drugs.
rsd, I didn't take your comments as being harsh. If it sounded that way to you I apologize. I was just putting my own personal two cents in. I tend to think the R's grow probably wasn't as big as those descriptive words used by LE made it seem. I could be wrong.

Hey rsd1200 I have to respectfully disagree with you. Going off personal experiences I've witnessed the aggression first hand and it wasn't pretty. I won't divulge details. Jmo

I've only witnessed aggression with folks who were using other drugs in combo with weed. In personal experience, with a lot of folks, over the years, folks who use weed only, may become agitated, even snappy, or short, but, I've never seen aggression unless detoxing off of alcohol, or another, typically aggression-inducing drug, at the same time. I'll agree to disagree though.

I thought the reason LE had a tracker on JM's truck was because he allegedly wanted to take revenge on the W's?
OT but I have to ask. Canaille, why is your description say under your name "Crank" instead of whatever member? Is that really a WS description? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase