GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling a Georgia Home: What Are My Disclosure Obligations?

A Georgia seller does not need to inform a buyer if any diseased person ever lived in the home, or if a homicide, felony, suicide, or any other death occurred there (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)). Additionally, it is up to the buyer to investigate certain information about the neighborhood where the home is located.
I'm imagining that it *must* have been disclosed, since it seems like their property was sold for much less than it otherwise could have fetched. Even the listing price seemed low in comparison to other homes in the gated community, and even then, the home sold for over $100K less than the listing price. jmo.

Does Sills have a detective section that is actually handling the case or is he doing everything by himself?
Hi Falcon500, I notice you are verified law enforcement, and just wondering about your question. If SS *is* 'doing everything himself', would this be considered a bad thing? I'm thinking it would be!

I'm imagining that it *must* have been disclosed, since it seems like their property was sold for much less than it otherwise could have fetched. Even the listing price seemed low in comparison to other homes in the gated community, and even then, the home sold for over $100K less than the listing price. jmo.
Agree totally!

They obviously had lawncare there and they usually come early in the morning, but I wouldn't think on a Saturday. No matter where they live, if someone wanted them dead for some reason they would do it and they did! Can't believe this can't be solved.

So if the Ds had such limited contact outside of the neighborhood gates other than grocery shopping, banking and more than likely health care appointments the question of crossing paths outside of the neighborhood is very small. It has to be someone inside of the neighborhood, someone who has visited the house such as a contractor, some sort of maintenance person (s), family or someone from outside the neighborhood who accesses a public boat ramp and boated or fished close the Ds house. JMO

Was the place where SD played bridge within the neighborhood gates or outside?

Is the lake a "no wake zone" lake or are wave runners allowed in this lake? Just wondering if there may have been a lot of wave runner activity in the Ds little cove that may have upset RD or SD. Wave runners are fun but they can really be annoying to lakefront homeowners.

Hi Falcon500, I notice you are verified law enforcement, and just wondering about your question. If SS *is* 'doing everything himself', would this be considered a bad thing? I'm thinking it would be!

It sure would not be the best way to handle a case of this magnitude. I don’t even know if he has detectives to work the case. If you read a few of the profiles done on him not once does he mention detectives in fact he rebuffed an off by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations to help. He says a few times that in Georgia the Sheriff is like a “king”. Just from the podcast and reading about him I believe that he thinks he’s the King of Putman County.

What if a similar crime happened in Chicago and the Chief of Police was the only one working the case? What would be the reaction?

So if the Ds had such limited contact outside of the neighborhood gates other than grocery shopping, banking and more than likely health care appointments the question of crossing paths outside of the neighborhood is very small. It has to be someone inside of the neighborhood, someone who has visited the house such as a contractor, some sort of maintenance person (s), family or someone from outside the neighborhood who accesses a public boat ramp and boated or fished close the Ds house. JMO

Was the place where SD played bridge within the neighborhood gates or outside?

Is the lake a "no wake zone" lake or are wave runners allowed in this lake? Just wondering if there may have been a lot of wave runner activity in the Ds little cove that may have upset RD or SD. Wave runners are fun but they can really be annoying to lakefront homeowners.
I wish I could get an answer about the bank employees and customers. I guess I gotta go ask them myself. Oh wait I live in Houston
Do you remember if that was answered anywhere on any media platform?

I wish I could get an answer about the bank employees and customers. I guess I gotta go ask them myself. Oh wait I live in Houston
Do you remember if that was answered anywhere on any media platform?
I've listened to several podcast now about this case to include the one done by Tricia and Levi where SS was interviewed. Not sure which podcast it was but SS said he had surveillance tapes from the bank and grocery store from that Thursday before the murders.

That is the only mention I've heard SS say about the bank. I know that the video footage of RD at Publix has been made public but I have never seen video footage from the bank.

Just a side note about the Publix video footage. I noticed that RD stops and shakes hands with another man in the store. They speak for a short time and than RD walks away and than turns back slightly to say something more to that man. Just an observation...

Having lived in a similar gated community, but in a different part of Georgia:
First: I can definitely agree with what Levi said. It's a different world (income and often age-wise) inside the gated community vs. the population outside the community. There is some animosity, those outside may be envious of the more wealthy community residents but, even more importantly, may feel the residents look down on them (an all too real fact I witnessed from my neighbors inside a gated community). I doubt there was enough animosity to be a motive for murder from any outside resident, especially since nothing was taken.
Second, these houses are expensive and often don't sell fast. That's just the way it is. Often there is a limited market. The only way to sell fast is to dramatically reduce the price. Carrying costs (i.e.: HOA or POA fees) can be very high. Often, the locations aren't conducive to working people living there so the only market is retirees, people nearing retirement, or people who can afford a second home. Or possibly people who buy and rent resort-like houses. My house in Georgia was for sale for over 2 years before I bought it. I paid well less than the previous owners bought it for 10 years prior. When I moved, I had little interest from buyers and ended up renting it. My point is, limited market and desire for a quick sale to settle the estate likely figured into the lower price as much as, if not more, than the "reputation" of the house.

I've listened to several podcast now about this case to include the one done by Tricia and Levi where SS was interviewed. Not sure which podcast it was but SS said he had surveillance tapes from the bank and grocery store from that Thursday before the murders.

That is the only mention I've heard SS say about the bank. I know that the video footage of RD at Publix has been made public but I have never seen video footage from the bank.

Just a side note about the Publix video footage. I noticed that RD stops and shakes hands with another man in the store. They speak for a short time and than RD walks away and than turns back slightly to say something more to that man. Just an observation...
Thank you. And that’s a good observation. It seems to me The Sheriff has an idea of who is responsible but zero evidence and is waiting for a confession or have someone who knows something talk. I would not suspect someone just because they didn’t do polygraph. No one should take one. IMO only.

It sure would not be the best way to handle a case of this magnitude. I don’t even know if he has detectives to work the case. If you read a few of the profiles done on him not once does he mention detectives in fact he rebuffed an off by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations to help. He says a few times that in Georgia the Sheriff is like a “king”. Just from the podcast and reading about him I believe that he thinks he’s the King of Putman County.

What if a similar crime happened in Chicago and the Chief of Police was the only one working the case? What would be the reaction?
Yea and the "King" is not solving this.

I noticed from photos of the Ds house that from the rear, as if you were in a boat on the lake it appears that you can see right into the house. There does not appear to be blinds or drapery on the back windows.

I don't find this unusual really. I have no rear neighbors as I live on acreage and I don't have blinds or drapery on my rear windows because I like the unobstructed view of my woods. I'm sure the same was for the Ds, they did not want an unobstructed view of the lake.

I can tell you that sometimes at night I get the creeps thinking that someone could easily be behind my house looking in and watching what we are doing and I would not have a clue. The same would be true for the Ds. At night anyone could easily been watching them from the lake.

Agreed, and I find it very disturbing that SS turned down offers of assistance from GBI. Would that have anything to do with 'budgets'? ie if SS took up an offer of assistance from GBI, would he have to 'pay it back' out of his own budget for that year? Could that be why he declined? If so, that doesn't seem at all fair that a small place would have to pay for perhaps more experienced services out of their own small budget in the event an unspeakable crime such as this were to occur? But on the other hand, the funds have to come from somewhere, right? How do small jurisdictions cope with this?

Regarding the bank, I know SS stated often that he was in possession of the last 8 years worth of cheques the couple had written on their bank account(s).
I find it confusing however, that I have read in MSM somewhere that SS said the couple were old school and didn't even have a debit card, while on the other hand, I've read that Mr.D, when he went to the bank on the Thursday before his death, went to the 'drive-through' to make a transfer. Would this mean the drive-throughs there are manned with live tellers, or that Mr.D did indeed have a bank card?

Regarding the bank, I know SS stated often that he was in possession of the last 8 years worth of cheques the couple had written on their bank account(s).
I find it confusing however, that I have read in MSM somewhere that SS said the couple were old school and didn't even have a debit card, while on the other hand, I've read that Mr.D, when he went to the bank on the Thursday before his death, went to the 'drive-through' to make a transfer. Would this mean the drive-throughs there are manned with live tellers, or that Mr.D did indeed have a bank card?
So I hope I have remembered this correctly but I think SS has said that RD trip to the bank was to move money to some type of insurance policy for some kind of senior assistance.

Has it ever been said what bank RD went to on Thursday? I count 5 banks that are located off of 44 and Linger Longer Rd area near the Publix. The closest bank being South Bank which is just across the parking lot from Publix.

This seems to be a law for the state of Georgia:

"The 100 foot rule simply says that no vessel may be operated over idle speed within 100 feet of any moored or anchored vessel, vessel adrift, or ay wharf, pier, piling or persons in the water, or shoreline next to a full-time residence, public park, public beach, public swimming area, marina, restaurant, or other public use area.

From my own personal observation, the 100 foot rule is the most violated law on our area lakes. I live in a cove that requires any boat or PWC that enters the cove to be at idle speed for almost the entire length of the cove. However the law is continually violated by PWCs, pleasure boats and angler’s boats.

Do your part by knowing and obeying all Georgia’s laws relating to angling and boating. Good fishing and see you next week."

A few things you need to know this boating season

Last edited:
Were the people/couple/friends who did a welfare check and discovered Mr.D's body a part of the gated community? I know it was said that the couple lived a mile away from the Ds' house.

This seems to be a law for the state of Georgia:

"The 100 foot rule simply says that no vessel may be operated over idle speed within 100 feet of any moored or anchored vessel, vessel adrift, or ay wharf, pier, piling or persons in the water, or shoreline next to a full-time residence, public park, public beach, public swimming area, marina, restaurant, or other public use area.

From my own personal observation, the 100 foot rule is the most violated law on our area lakes. I live in a cove that requires any boat or PWC that enters the cove to be at idle speed for almost the entire length of the cove. However the law is continually violated by PWCs, pleasure boats and angler’s boats.

Do your part by knowing and obeying all Georgia’s laws relating to angling and boating. Good fishing and see you next week.
A few things you need to know this boating season
So that is interesting and its obvious that you understand what I mean about this being an annoying situation. I just wonder if the Ds experienced this as well and went out to the dock to confront people in the past about this.

I know I'm late to the party here but has there ever been anything said about the Ds making any type of complaints to the HOA, about anything or anyone? This kind of thing can get pretty escalated. From everything said the Ds were very private people and they probably enjoyed their privacy and space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny