GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that is interesting and its obvious that you understand what I mean about this being an annoying situation. I just wonder if the Ds experienced this as well and went out to the dock to confront people in the past about this.

I know I'm late to the party here but has there ever been anything said about the Ds making any type of complaints to the HOA, about anything or anyone? This kind of thing can get pretty escalated. From everything said the Ds were very private people and they probably enjoyed their privacy and space.
I've never seen anything to suggest that the Ds were difficult people, or hard to get along with, or in a spat with anyone. You know how there's always the neighbor in any neighborhood (usually) that is very particular and can't put up with one thing or another (or anything at all!).. haven't heard anything to suggest that the Ds were those people in *that* neighborhood. Not that it would necessarily take one of those types of neighbors to complain about a seadoo or PFD or whatever, since those can become dangerous to others. I haven't read a thing about the couple having anything to do with the water at all, nothing about whether they enjoyed relaxing in their yard.. we seem to know very little about them??

I've never seen anything to suggest that the Ds were difficult people, or hard to get along with, or in a spat with anyone. You know how there's always the neighbor in any neighborhood (usually) that is very particular and can't put up with one thing or another (or anything at all!).. haven't heard anything to suggest that the Ds were those people in *that* neighborhood. Not that it would necessarily take one of those types of neighbors to complain about a seadoo or PFD or whatever, since those can become dangerous to others. I haven't read a thing about the couple having anything to do with the water at all, nothing about whether they enjoyed relaxing in their yard.. we seem to know very little about them??
And that goes to another thought I have been having is the lack of communications from the Ds family. I think I have only seen one interview done with one of the sons, Brad. He did say they were a very private family but its hard for me to see why they have been so absent from the public on this whole thing.

I've been on another thread for a case that happened near me 11 years ago that has gone unsolved. It involved 5 women killed in a clothing store. I was actually shopping in that shopping center just minutes before or during it was happening. The family of those 5 women are still making public pleas for help, 11 years later...

They may be staying quite out of fear, I don't know but they could provide so much good if they gave the public more information about the Ds. The smallest of things can jog someones memory and can help solve this case.

Regarding on the Dermond's crossing paths with their murderers...

Sheriff Sills told me and Tricia that the Dermond's rarely socialized with anyone outside of the Great Waters/Reynolds Plantation area. That Mrs. Dermond went to her bridge club meetings and they both went to Church. He said Mr. Dermond did most of the shopping and that he purchased everything, even small purchases on his credit card (for the points) and that they did not lead extremely active social lives.

He also said most of their friends were shocked to find out they were in their 80's because most of the people they socialized with at Church/Bridge were in their 70's.

He also said they were not that active around the home. That they basically lived in their bedroom, kitchen and living room.

It is hard to imagine them pissing anyone off. Are they going to get someone mad at Church or would a feud erupt over a game of bridge? It's hard to wrap your mind around it.

When we were in Eatonton, it was like two different towns, the homes on Lake Oconee, all grand, the residents obviously being well off and then the others were like your typical rural Georgia homes. Blue collar. I bet that the two groups rarely mix.

Hey, Levi,
Not really talking about socializing, just personal interactions where they'd intersect with people in daily life. Not mixing socially.

Hair salon
Nail salon
Drs.- likely multiple for each
Chiropractor
Podiatrist
Dentist
Physical therapist
Medical transport company/ ambulance/ EMT

Insurance agents - car/ home/ life/long term care/ annuities
Banks
Grocery
Restaurarants
Hardware store
General merchandise stores like Walmart or Target
Florist
Nursery like Pike
Gas station
Mechanics
Auto inspection station
Church
Church social groups like XZZ
Neighbors
Bridge Club members
Great Waters GUARDs and security company
Golf pros/club employeesw when Mr. D played
HOA board and members- did the D's attend the annual meeting???

Lawncare/ landscaping service
Trades - electrician, plumber, painter, tile guy, gen. carpenter, septic system guy, pest control, possibly wildlife control,
possible propane delivery guy, roofer, dock builder
House cleaners
Carpet cleaning company

Water meter reader, if not on a well
Car tag office/ property tax office
USPS
FedEx, UPS, Amazon, LaserShip and other delivery services
Newspaper delivery
Food delivery

Computer/ internet/tv geek to program/ update sytems
Home security system monitor company

Even if you live a secluded, not very social life, your life will intersect with most of the folks listed above.

And I wonder if the D's had any problem when building their home- architect? HOA board? Builder? Subcontractors?
Neighbors? Former neighbors?

I spent 20 years in residential construction/ former Realtor and I know first-hand what can go wrong, in reality and in one's mind. I got stories!!

Did Mr. D file a suit against anyone associated with house construction?
Did anyone put a lien on the D house at anytime?

And in the scheme of Lake Oconee, the D house and the D's fortune was miniscule compared to other residents and former residents like Ben Roethlisberger.

Did Mr. D see something on one of his early morning walks? Someone ferrying heroin or meth on Lake Oconee like in "Ozark"?

I'm thinking it would be cool if we all converged on the Ritz-Carlton Lake Oconee for Websleuths Weekend "The Dermonds".
That would probably make 1 or 2 folks unsettled.

JMO

I wish I could get an answer about the bank employees and customers. I guess I gotta go ask them myself. Oh wait I live in Houston
Do you remember if that was answered anywhere on any media platform?

In the article I posted it stated Mr. D. went through the drived thru at People's Bank to move money to pay long term care insurance.

JMO

So that is interesting and its obvious that you understand what I mean about this being an annoying situation. I just wonder if the Ds experienced this as well and went out to the dock to confront people in the past about this.

I know I'm late to the party here but has there ever been anything said about the Ds making any type of complaints to the HOA, about anything or anyone? This kind of thing can get pretty escalated. From everything said the Ds were very private people and they probably enjoyed their privacy and space.

I absolutely think this might be the conflict the Dermonds had with their killers although I think it seems they would have mentioned it to a neighbor or one of their children. But then maybe the Dermonds thought it so trivial they didn’t bother. Unfortunately it wasn’t trivial to the killers. This situation could apply to any small confrontation Mr D had out doing errands but one involving a blow up in their cove...then the killers know where you live.

I’m only through the first 2 Into the Case podcasts so far- still new to this case in general. But from what I’ve listened to and read here and elsewhere, the only logical (for lack of a better word) explanation to me is the son/drug-related “payback” scenario. I cannot come up with any other explanation that makes any sense.

These were very very old individuals- almost 90. Older than most people live. No one- truly no one (IMO) has a reason to kill a couple that old. Unless they want money from a will or want to steal something (neither apply here). No lake or boating argument, no firing of an employee, no house worker spat. No mistaken identity, or crazy person crime of opportunity. This was purely a targeted attack for a very *specific* personal and significant purpose. IMO.

Son killed in drug-related incident. Two parents brutally killed. Coincidence? SD and RD murders very orchestrated. The phrase may be overused but.... Occam’s Razor.

JMO

Agreed, and I find it very disturbing that SS turned down offers of assistance from GBI. Would that have anything to do with 'budgets'? ie if SS took up an offer of assistance from GBI, would he have to 'pay it back' out of his own budget for that year? Could that be why he declined? If so, that doesn't seem at all fair that a small place would have to pay for perhaps more experienced services out of their own small budget in the event an unspeakable crime such as this were to occur? But on the other hand, the funds have to come from somewhere, right? How do small jurisdictions cope with this?

He wouldn’t have to pay back a state agency anymore than he would have to pay the FBI if a federal crime had been committed.

SS doesn’t believe they were killed in the home. Which means the killer(s) came back to the abduction scene in order place Mr. D back. That’s so strange.

How long after the abduction did they return? Minutes? Hours? A day or more?

So odd.

SS doesn’t believe they were killed in the home. Which means the killer(s) came back to the abduction scene in order place Mr. D back. That’s so strange.

So odd.
It's hard to believe not killed in their home, RD had his robe on and neither had eaten. Could RD have been killed in the yard? Then his headless body brought back inside??

It's hard to believe not killed in their home, RD had his robe on and neither had eaten. Could RD have been killed in the yard? Then his headless body brought back inside??

I think they were probably killed outside of home- then RD brought back inside. Apparently there was no blood anywhere (tested with luminal) except some where RD was laying. I don’t see how both murders could have been committed inside without signs of blood and a struggle.

Re: the no food in stomachs- seems to me that indicates morning. They would have food in stomachs if at night. IMO

I’ve spent the last few days reading through this thread starting from the first post. I’m only on #3 at this time. I’ve listened to the podcast and look forward to the next one.

Being that I have not yet finished reading all posts yet exuse me if my thoughts have already been made here.

1- This seems to be some kind of weird mother/daughter thing. Its all so personal and to me, appears directed at SD. I know the Ds have a daughter but I know nothing of her background (yet)

2-I have no doubt this happened Saturday morning, no food in stomachs and SD fully dressed, RD in a robe. One of them opened the door, probably SD as she recognized the person.

3- SS said there was a laptop at the house. What do we know about the laptop. Was it on the kitchen table. Was it online?

Glad to join in on the conversation, I’ll continue to read through all the old post. Reading through it from the beginning does make me feel like I’m right there as it is all happening. The only downfall is that most of the MSM links no longer work, frustrating!

So glad you are here, FinePrint. We need all the help we can get to find justice for this couple.

Like I said a long time ago SS knows who did this. He stated in the latest podcast he does have 1 or 2 suspects and a cop as I said before always has a suspect or he isn't a good cop. SS doesn't believe they were killed in the house which tells me he knows where they were killed. He just wants someone to connect the dots and lead him to the evidence he already has.

I’m only through the first 2 Into the Case podcasts so far- still new to this case in general. But from what I’ve listened to and read here and elsewhere, the only logical (for lack of a better word) explanation to me is the son/drug-related “payback” scenario. I cannot come up with any other explanation that makes any sense.

These were very very old individuals- almost 90. Older than most people live. No one- truly no one (IMO) has a reason to kill a couple that old. Unless they want money from a will or want to steal something (neither apply here). No lake or boating argument, no firing of an employee, no house worker spat. No mistaken identity, or crazy person crime of opportunity. This was purely a targeted attack for a very *specific* personal and significant purpose. IMO.

Son killed in drug-related incident. Two parents brutally killed. Coincidence? SD and RD murders very orchestrated. The phrase may be overused but.... Occam’s Razor.

JMO
I could see that kind of a connection if:
i)the Ds were instead the parents of the guy who murdered Mark Dermond, or
ii)the Ds were instrumental in the prosecution of the guy who murdered Mark Dermond, ie by perhaps providing some kind of irrefutable evidence against him, or something, or
iii)the Ds got in the guy's face everyday at court during the trial, or
iv)the Ds had also been involved in the drug operation that was going on with their son's murderer at the time;
but none of the above are applicable; SS said the Ds didn't even attend the guy's trial, let alone provide evidence, or act as a witness for the prosecution.
--
On the other hand, it really does seem so tragic and bizarre that one family (the Dermond fam) could have suffered one, but two separate instances of murder in their family, taking out 3 of the family members. Who has that kind of horrible 'luck'? I know just from reading the news, that some families do indeed suffer multiple tragedies, but so hard to comprehend.

He wouldn’t have to pay back a state agency anymore than he would have to pay the FBI if a federal crime had been committed.
I wasn't sure how any of that worked, ie if the FBI billed states/municipalities back for services rendered, which would then come out of the policing budget.. or if it would just be covered in full by the federal govt.
If financially covered, and looking good at year end is not a consideration, then what would be the reason for not accepting all the help one could get, and especially in a bizarre and confounding case such as this one?

So odd.
I'd like to know SS's full reasoning for coming to that belief. It seemed to me that it was only because he saw no evidence to indicate gun shot wound(s) to the head, or blunt force injury, via blood spatter at the home, or whatever. But yet according to the autopsy report there was no mention of GSR being found.

If there was a small bit on Mr.D's shirt, it could have been from taking a shot himself at some point (wild rodent or something?, perhaps not during that particular day even), or even 'transfer' from the killer's hands or clothing, and nothing to do with this particular crime. I haven't heard whether the Ds owned a gun(s) or not, and if so, if it/they had all been accounted for? It doesn't make any sense to take someone and then bring them back to decapitate them. Not that this murder makes any sense to begin with, but that seems really out there, to lug him back to his garage, already deceased, only to then decapitate, exposing themselves to more risk of getting caught.

When they discovered Mrs.D's body in the lake, did they do any research on where it is believed she would have originally been sunk? ie going by the motion of the water, in relation to weather/wind conditions during the 10 days until she was found, etc? It would have been useful to have an idea where she had been dropped into the water, and then perhaps to have searched/dredged that surrounding area to see if Mr.D's head might be at the bottom attached to yet another concrete block?

I wonder if they used K9s to search for blood, or a trail of someone who didn't belong?

I wonder if there has ever been another set of experienced, professional, unbiased eyes taking a look at this whole case. Someone else enquired if there were other detectives aside from SS himself (I believe there were, because the autopsy reports indicate other detective names). In a larger city's police service, staff tend to get moved around/promoted/etc, and other sets of eyes end up taking over unsolved cases, etc., giving the opportunity for a fresh perspective. It scares me to think it might be possible that because this is such a small place, and the top dog is the guy with all the information and his position is permanent, and he has refused offers of outside assistance, only one set of eyes may be privy to all of the evidence. What if he missed something? Not to put SS down or anything, not saying this because of anything to do with him in particular, but when something is super important and also remains unsolved for so long, if it were me, I know I would appreciate another set of eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member