CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did NOT. Therefore it did not show up on CM's phone or his phone log. That is why I find it really odd that when he was asked about it he didn't simply pull out his phone to confirm that he didn't have any missed calls from JM that night. Instead he gives "reasons" why he didn't answer it. Even saying how much he regretted not picking up to talk to JM. So maybe, just maybe, he did have first hand knowledge of the call being made because he was with JM and JM's phone when that call was made.

MOO

THIS^^^^^..ALL DAY...

I'm glad the state does have supporting evidence they were killed at home for the jury to consider.

The items found in the graves themselves supports it. No shoes were found either, iirc.

Plus the paint drip on Summer's cut in half bra is consistent with the paint found on the sledgehammer used as the murder weapon.

If there was wet paint on it ..it could have dripped on her bra when CM stood over her when she was laying on her side.

I am known as a paint lady in our neighborhood because the trim/shutters on the outside of our home is painted a different color every 3 to 4 years or less.

Plus my close neighbors/friends/family knows I do the very same thing inside of our home every 2.5 or 3 years throughout our home. I love change, and cant stand walls or outside trim/shutters to remain the same color, and only painted when needed.

I've been painting walls/baseboards/molding for over 45 years now in various homes we have owned. Not once has paint gotten on my bra.

Imho, I do not believe the paint drip found on Summer's bra came from her painting while alive. I think it got on there as she was laying on her side either gravely injured or dead. Acrylic latex paint dries quickly. The warmth of her body would make it dry even quicker where it wouldnt smear to the touch

Imo

Last edited:
Yes, and it was well known how much they loved, and cared for their dogs. They wouldn't have ever left them to fend for themselves outside.

CM put the dogs outside so they wouldnt be in the way of him cleaning up the evidence inside.

But there were so many other things that should have alerted the police immediately this family did not leave their home willingly.

Never in my life, before this one, have I seen any PD rely on a back view of anyone to make a positive ID. Never.

Have the police ever done that in any line up to identify a possible suspect? Absolutely not because it's ridiculous to ask anyone to ID someone using only a back view of the person.

To this day, I will never understand why they were so inept, and clueless or lazy. I've not seen one other missing persons case handled this way, and I hope I never see another one like it in the future.

Imo

BBM

Being a dog lover your post reminds me that during these horrific murders, their two innocent dogs were also victims. Would either be protective of their family as CM began attacking them? Did CM put them out beforehand? Were they already outside at the time? It reminds me of Nicole Brown Simpson and her frantic, barking Akita tracking blood everywhere. :(

I'm glad the state does have supporting evidence they were killed at home for the jury to consider.

The items found in the graves themselves supports it. No shoes were found either, iirc.

Plus the paint drip on Summer's cut in half bra is consistent with the paint found on the sledgehammer used as the murder weapon.

If there was wet paint on it ..it could have dripped on her bra when CM stood over her when she was laying on her side.

I am known as a paint lady in our neighborhood because the trim on the outside of our home is painted a different color every 3 to 4 years or less.

Plus my close neighbords/friends knows I do the very same thing inside of our home every 2.5 or 3 years throughout our home I love change, and cant stand walls or outside trim that is only painted when needed.

I've been painting walls/baseboards/molding forr over 45 years now in various homes we have owned. Not once has it gotten on my bra.

Imho, I do not believe the paint drip found on Summer's bra came from her painting while alive. I think it got on there as she was laying on her side either gravely injured or dead. Acrylic latex paint dries quickly. The warmth of her body would make it dry even quicker where it wouldnt smear to the touch

Imo

but what difference does it make when or how the paint drip got on her bra?
it doesn't prove one way or the other that Merrit did it so why does it matter?

I've gotten paint in every nook & cranny including on bra and socks
it's a red herring IMO

I find the paint drip odd too. I don't understand how it can dry as if SM were lying on her side AND her bra cut. I just can't reconcile the two in my mind. Did someone cut the bra after SM died?

I was also considering if possibly excess paint dripped from the painters tape onto the cut bra after they were thrown into the grave.

but what difference does it make when or how the paint drip got on her bra?
it doesn't prove one way or the other that Merrit did it so why does it matter?

I've gotten paint in every nook & cranny including on bra and socks
it's a red herring IMO

Agree, doesn't really matter. Just like it doesn't matter whether the family was killed at home or at the gravesite or whether CM owed JM money or vice versa. All signs point to CM being responsible for the McStay murders.

I find the paint drip odd too. I don't understand how it can dry as if SM were lying on her side AND her bra cut. I just can't reconcile the two in my mind. Did someone cut the bra after SM died?

I was also considering if possibly excess paint dripped from the painters tape onto the cut bra after they were thrown into the grave.

the cut bra is creepy and obvious Chase did it
hopefully he didn't also rape her

I don't think so. Would be nice if someone else would pick it up, but I doubt it, but at least we will have audio. Will be harder to follow without being able to see the exhibits, and I bet even less people will listen now. jmo

Why do people think they have basically left this trial high and dry now?

How selfish to get exclusive rights and then not even half way though to basically pull the plug.

Yes, and it was well known how much they loved, and cared for their dogs. They wouldn't have ever left them to fend for themselves outside.

CM put the dogs outside so they wouldnt be in the way of him cleaning up the evidence inside.

But there were so many other things that should have alerted the police immediately this family did not leave their home willingly.

Never in my life, before this one, have I seen any PD rely on a back view of anyone to make a positive ID. Never.

Have the police ever done that in any line up to identify a possible suspect? Absolutely not because it's ridiculous to ask anyone to ID someone using only a back view of the person.

To this day, I will never understand why they were so inept, and clueless or lazy. I've not seen one other missing persons case handled this way, and I hope I never see another one like it in the future.
Sadly, this also happened in the Amber Dubois case. She was a young teenager (14-15yrs old) who disappeared. The SD Sheriff insisted she ran away. NOPE. She was kidnapped at gunpoint, raped and murdered.

Imo

Why do people think they have basically left this trial high and dry now?

How selfish to get exclusive rights and then not even half way though to basically pull the plug.

I don't know that they got exclusive rights. They were the only one's that stayed and said they would be there. I'm disappointed because I wanted to "see" what the defense had. I think it's a shame that they have decided to pull the camera's at this stage. Will probably never follow another trial on L&C if this is how they run things. JMO

Did Chase own dogs?

I have always wondered why he didn’t kill the dogs as well. He obviously had a soft spot for them as Summer leaving them behind just didn’t make any sense. Neither did leaving the puppy Digger behind who the boys loved and adored.

If the police were so inept it should of been another massive red flag. So it was a risky to leave them behind imo

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Saudi Arabia either. My brother used to live there on an American compound. My parents in order to go visit him, had to be thoroughly investigated first, and had to obtain permission from the Saudi government in order to go. It was not an easy process. Its hard for me to imagine that a convicted felon, on probation would be able to go there.

Pretty sure I read recently that the job was actually in Qatar, a more welcoming country than SA.

This is so confusing lol...so Smith was looking for a shop/warehouse? I thought he was looking for a storage unit. Not the storage pods that the McStays were using to store their personal belongings, but rather a storage unit for work-related stuff. It's unclear who was actually renting the storage unit, whether it was Joey or Chase, or both of them. It's also unclear whether this is the same storage unit that Chase had stored some of his own supplies in. Remember Mr. Sequeida testified that he was annoyed that Chase made him stop at his storage unit to pick up equipment etc?

I'm assuming Smith or someone in LE interviewed Mr. Sequeida, I wonder why they didn't ask him to show them where Chase's storage unit was. There could of course be additional units as well though. I would think that would be something relatively easy to investigate and figure out but apparently not lol.

I'm not sure either about the storage unit, but I can say that when they showed the photo of the keys in Joey's pocket, CM nearly jumped out of his chair, and then quickly recovered. I mentioned it at the time.

I sat in on a meeting with Dugal and both families. I was NOT impressed with him at all. I also went outside the house for a cigarette break and spoke with two other San Diego LE who were out there as well. They were higher up than Dugal but I don't remember their ranks.
They too seemed very laxidasical about the missing family.

Imo

I wonder if that is true , at all, that Joey had dinner at Chases house once or twice a week. THAT IS A LOT.
My husband had a couple of close coworkers, whom he'd have dinner with a couple of times every week. But that was usually at a nearby restaurant after work, before they both headed home. But it would have been unusual, when he had his own kids at home having dinner, to spend one or two dinners a week with another family.

When I read that interview with Chase, I thought he was exaggerating the family dinner numbers. JMO

I don't know the answer to this question. However, because of the wording "at their house" I wonder if Joey started going there when he was helping CJ out financially. It sounds like something Joey would do. jmo

Did Chase own dogs?

I have always wondered why he didn’t kill the dogs as well. He obviously had a sport for them as Summer leaving them behind just didn’t make any sense. Neither did leaving the puppy Digger behind who the boys loved and adored.

If the police were so inept it should of been another massive red flag. So it was a risky to leave them behind imo

As a neighbour, I think I would have noticed the 2 dogs being out all day/night, especially if they barked (was Bear a barker? the puppy?) I probably would have called the cops myself if I had gone over there and no one was answering the door. It was very risky leaving them out there if you were trying to buy some time IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member