Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Sending love and light to the family and friends of Cat with deepest sympathies and condolences.

I am glad they are all together and can support one another.

I hope everyone can work together to gather all necessary evidence for accountability and justice in the future. MOO

Shouldn’t they be waiting for authorities for moving Catherine:/

It sounds like people are encouraging them to wait for the Ministerio Publico before moving Cat.

I hope they have interpreters and liasons that can enable them to work together for best future outcome under these circumstances.

I don't underestimate how challenging this time is with the outcome at hand, language barrier, and being in another country all together. MOO

"The body of a missing British tourist who vanished in Guatemala has been found.

Catherine Shaw, 23, disappeared in the early hours of last Tuesday - carrying just a grey and white puppy in her arms.

It is believed she went on a hike up a mountain overlooking the Lake Atitlan, a popular beauty spot near where she was staying.

Her body was found near a rocky perilous path which leads to the top of the mountain.

It is understood Miss Shaw was found in a cavern near the trail, some two miles from the hotel where she went missing.

Investigators will now probe whether she fell or if there was any foul play involved in her death.

The scene is also very close to the spot where a small grey and white puppy, which Miss Shaw had been carrying around in the days before she vanished, was found on Friday.

Local mayor Antonio Chavajay last night said the body of Miss Shaw had been found.

He told The Mail: ‘I’d like the thank the community for coming together.

‘They found the body near the dog, the dog was the evidence of where she was.

‘It is not known how she died. She was found in a very rocky area.’

It also emerged that Miss Shaw had been fasting and had stopped washing in the days before she vanished.

The national civilian police said last night in a statement it would try to find out ‘who could be implicated in this awful turn of events’."

Guatemalan search party find jacket belonging to missing British backpacker two miles from hostel | Daily Mail Online

There is a 3 minute video of Cat wearing a purple dress with her friend at the hotel in the link below.

"Volunteers, split into two groups, found the piece of clothing discarded among weeds along a treacherous hiking trail leading to the top of a hill with views over the nearby Lake Atitlan.

Miss Farrow said Miss Shaw was an ‘avid nature enthusiast’.

She had hiked a volcano barefoot,’ she said, adding: ‘She has been known to go on nature walks before and come back totally fine.’

It is believed Miss Shaw may have climbed the summit to watch the sun rise early on Tuesday morning.

The paths to the top of the hill are slippery and lead into densely wooded areas.

Amy Farrow, a former American paramedic who is helping with the rescue effort, said of the discovery of the dog: ‘Seeing her with the puppy in the video I don’t think she would have left the puppy.

‘Her intention was to go and watch the sun rise,’ she added."

Guatemalan search party find jacket belonging to missing British backpacker two miles from hostel | Daily Mail Online

pmMAPbackpackerv1.jpg

Heartbreak as body of missing Brit backpacker found in Guatemala

There is a 3 minute video of Cat wearing a purple dress with her friend at the hotel in the link below.

"Volunteers, split into two groups, found the piece of clothing discarded among weeds along a treacherous hiking trail leading to the top of a hill with views over the nearby Lake Atitlan.

Miss Farrow said Miss Shaw was an ‘avid nature enthusiast’.

She had hiked a volcano barefoot,’ she said, adding: ‘She has been known to go on nature walks before and come back totally fine.’

It is believed Miss Shaw may have climbed the summit to watch the sun rise early on Tuesday morning.

The paths to the top of the hill are slippery and lead into densely wooded areas.

Amy Farrow, a former American paramedic who is helping with the rescue effort, said of the discovery of the dog: ‘Seeing her with the puppy in the video I don’t think she would have left the puppy.

‘Her intention was to go and watch the sun rise,’ she added."

Reading along here and am sad for this outcome. I also considered that since it sounds like she rescued this puppy a few days before she went missing, that she wouldn't have abandoned it on top of a lookout/hiking trail to fend for itself. Sounds like she took the pup for a hike to see the sunrise and ended up running into someone(s) who caused her death. The puppy was left behind maybe if she tried to run away or if she was attacked up on the lookout. Another scary sad ending for a female traveler living her best life. My heart hurts for her family and friends. And for other travelers who are not safe on the adventures they long to take. All jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenefa82
Back