Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by CoverMeCagney, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Hjp

Hjp Well-Known Member

I think we can all accept the narrative now that Catherine Shaw simply made a tragic mis-step on the mountain lookout while meditating naked, (probably for purity reasons), and plunged down the mountainside at twilight leading to serious brain injuries and death shortly after.

This can confirmed by the head trauma and haemorrages discovered by the postmortem and the negative results of the rape kit tests.

This is by far a much better outcome than I had suspected early on in this investigation. I think the parents will take comfort in this verdict, and will be able to come to terms with the accidental loss of their daughter in time.

So unless any further contradictory information comes to light, this will be likely my last post on this thread and have enjoyed the debate and discussion with you all. Thank you.

2. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

This is good enough for me to know Cat died of an accident.

Again, RIP Cat beautiful spirit, and Fly High!

3. London1776

London1776 Active Member

This was a great thread. Thanks everyone.

I learned that there is no need to overcomplicate events sometimes. An important reminder that humans are not the direct cause of everything that happens in the world!

Fitting really, as by her friend’s account, Catherine had decided to keep life simple and get rid of any items that were unnecessary to her towards the end. Rest in peace)

Baciagalupo, jessie, zecats and 11 others like this.
  4. Estrella

Estrella Well-Known Member

5. Detectivediva

Detectivediva Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link. The trail looks like a fun one. Beautiful area. I know many speculate foul play or accident but to me it seems like a perfect place to jump from if someone was young, adventurous and intent on harming themselves. Not sure if I get that vibe from Cat though.

6. Chiatos

Chiatos Well-Known Member

So they think that Catherine ascended from the Santa Clara side, not from the san juan side.

They think she might have walked from san juan-San pablo-santa Clara and then started the climb. A hike of 90 minutes at least.

Would she have been able to reach the top in time for sunrise at 06:15?

Cómo es caminar por el peligroso terreno donde fue encontrada Catherine Shaw

7. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Friends invited journalists to the the small final gathering honoring Cat. Here are some highlights from the article, and as always the link is below.
    It answers some questions we have all had. I'm shocked that Cat had intentionally gone 4 days without water. I found it interesting that Cat worked out a deal with the hostel management to do volunteer work in exchange for lodging. I wonder what type of work, perhaps yoga classes?
    A few times now I have read Cat's friend, Elena, describe Cat as sad or without power yet they didn't talk about what was going on, maybe it was their relationship, but that makes me feel sad. Also, the puppy needs a home. Just like all the others in Guatemala. MOO :(

Friends: Englishwoman's death in Guatemala seems accidental

Friends who were with an Englishwoman found dead near a Guatemalan highland lake in her final days recall her as a spiritual person who spread joy to others, and said numerous details of the case suggest to them that it was an accident.

-Now they're looking for someone else to take care of the small dog, which they've named "Cat," after Shaw's nickname.

-She was like a fairy who went around spreading happiness," said Elena Consolini, describing Shaw as relaxed and without conflicts.
    -The woman's father, Tarquin Shaw, identified her body Tuesday at a morgue about 30 miles (50 kilometers) away in the city of Quetzaltenango.

-Catherine Shaw had arrived early last week at the hotel where she struck a deal with management to do volunteer work in exchange for lodging

-"She had a free spirit," said Francisco "Paco" Rosales, a Mexican who said he met Shaw four years ago and traveled with her in several countries. "She was very spiritual. She liked to meditate. She was a master of Reiki and yoga."

-"I thought she seemed a bit sad the last days, but we didn't talk much," Consolini added. "We just played music, without speaking."

-Rosales and others said Shaw had been in a period of fasting and reflection and had not eaten or even drunk water for four days before she went missing. They speculated that weakened state could have led her to fall.

-While authorities have yet to say why Shaw died, Rosales thinks he knows what happened: She hiked to the place alone and took off her clothes due to the heat, before falling to her death. In Shaw's circle, being nude in an unpopulated place because of warm temperatures or while meditating wouldn't be considered odd.

-Her family said Tuesday that she "just loved mountains and sunrises" and "died doing what she loved."

Friends: Englishwoman's death in Guatemala seems accidental

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

9. Estrella

Estrella Well-Known Member

10. Chiatos

Chiatos Well-Known Member

* For those interested we will be holding an International Press Conference on March 23rd and having a ceremony at the top of Indian Nose in Cat's honor. We have also released statements to the Mayan community to the communities of San Juan and Santa Clara as they were all so crucial in helping as well as deeply concerned given the lies that spread like wildfire from the media. ***

Has the press conference taken place?

Suglo likes this.
  11. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

I feel a bit conflicted about this. Cat seems like someone who would have liked a sky burial or something like that, natural and local, where she considered her home. I guess it doesn't really matter now, her memory lives on anywhere.

CoverMeCagney likes this.
  12. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine her parents wanting a sky burial :(

angelina1 likes this.
  13. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

Coroner Darren Salter said Miss Shaw had been dead for "four to six days" before her body was found, and ruled her death an accident.

He added there was "no evidence of any suspicious circumstances or third part involvement" in the yoga teacher's death.

Toxicology tests showed no drugs or alcohol were in her system.

Yoga teacher's fall from mountain an 'accident'

14. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

upload_2019-10-25_13-44-25.png

I often think about Catherine. May she rest in beautiful calm and peace.