ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I am curious. If she (DiSanto) has never accused anybody of anything, but is only interviewing people in the hope of finding Serenity, why could he (Chad) or his family have any objections to that? The whole point was to get the message out there, to keep Serenity and the search for her at the forefront. Why would he have an issue with this? I would think he would be front and center of all efforts to find Serenity! Why would he or his family tell anybody to "stop talking" about finding Serenity???

Poor little Ren.

I have followed Lynne's activities with this case. She has not accused anyone. She started trying to raise awareness about Serenity missing. She then interviewed the bio cousin and another family member about the Serenity Alert and Serenity's early life but that was done at Starbucks and it was really hard to hear them. So she did a interview with just the bio cousin. Then she interviewed adoptive mom, Darcie and her husband. Lynne stated she was hoping to do an interview with Chad as well. She said they had talked a couple times.

Chad and his wife had had friends and family defending them and telling people to stop talking all over social media so I am guessing the brutal reaction to Darcie's interview didn't help things. Lynne didn't say it was Chad threatening her, just family and friends. I actually am not really surprised with the things I have seen.

I find it sad though. The focus should be on raising awareness in case someone has her and/or finding her remains. I don't understand a lot with this case. The family could have reached out, raised awareness and such by just telling people a little about her, they didn't have to give us private details but personalizing a missing person is usually helpful.

Regarding the distraction being planned, both the cousin and the adoptive mother have suggested this, but I still find it rather unlikely. The type of kids in those types of homes just run on impulse, or when they see an opportunity. It wasn't even the first time Serenity had run. I think the first child ran out of impulse, and Serenity simply followed their lead out of impulse. I agree, the other child that ran was almost surely questioned in order to determine if there was any connection. We certainly haven't been told that there was - not that we necessarily would have been. I just think both interviewees suggested that as a way to find some hope to hold on to. MOO.

Snipped by me for focus.

We were told that first kid ran to help distract staff, I am sure that came from LE, Staff, or whoever else interviewed that child.

Another kid causing a distraction is actually very common. It happened a lot over the years at my center. Sometimes it was a minor thing but they would also assault a staff or another peer too. Sometimes a bunch would try to run at once. Sometimes the resident that causes the distraction does so because they want to help their friend, sometimes they are blackmailed into it, sometimes they are bullied into, sometimes they have a crush or are in a "relationship" with the peer they are helping, sometimes they just want to cause chaos. I am sure there are many more reasons but those are the main ones I dealt with.

The kids causing the distraction almost always admitted that they did it. Sometimes it took a bit. Otherwise, others told on them. It usually was pretty obvious as to what happened too. The kids causing distraction also had consequences so they usually told all during the write ups or during processing. We never had police interview the other residents but most of our runaways were found by police, returned on their own, or someone turned them in within a couple days.

The staff always asked peers if they knew the runaways plans. Sometimes they told their peers their plan to run, sometimes the did it on impulse, sometimes they planned it with peers.

Now that Darcie is aware of where Chad and family reside, has she made any effort to contact him and/or be re-united with the son they also adopted together?
It was an extremely difficult interview to watch. How do you gloss over the child’s folder to learn about the child’s history, meet with the child’s therapist, to not know what RAD stands for, to finish your shift at work, and to wait a few days before talking to residents home staff...I’m crushed. Poor Serenity, may she now be serene.

That interview is still sticking with me even as I have learned as much as possible on RAD. I can understand detachment and even relief, although she seemed to have gotten that ages ago as all communication appears to have stopped. But Darcie there is almost a cheerfulness to the first half of the interview that just seems so off and wrong!

MAR 11, 2019 - Nothing new, really. :(
Organizations produce video for missing 9-year-old South Dakota girl
Officials with the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office said their search for Serenity continues to be hampered due to the weather, as they need more snow to melt in order to continue with their outdoor search.

Since the search began for Serenity over a month ago, the sheriff’s office says 256 interviews have been conducted, with the group following 57 leads in and out-of-state. The FBI and other organizations have assisted with leas out-of-state.

Broken-hearted for this sweet girl. I keep checking, hoping she’s been found. My heart hurts for children coming from broken situations. Weather is warming up in Rockerville. I hope we’ll hear of more searching, or some kind of news soon!

I'm all for bringing attention to Serenity's cause , but I am not sure why Lynne is interviewing birth Mom? o_O
She gave her up and has had zero contact with her. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

We did the interview with Adopto Mom who seems like she hasn't been in contact with Serenity in quite some time either. NOPE. NONE.

Then Senator Lynne posts some cryptic comment about adoptive Dad's friends and family threatening her? It seemed unprofessional.

What about interviewing the HOME? After all, they are the ones that had sole responsibility of Serenity during the time she escaped, ran away, and is presumably dead. I feel like we are holding up shining things inadvertently distracting us from:
1. The mission and 2. Who is accountable for what happened.

NOT leading up to what happened but who was RESPONSIBLE for Serenity at the time of the events and the measures or lack there of immediately following her alleged escape.

#sorryNOTsorry

This feels like sensationalism. Drama. What started out on track has now derailed.

Is bad publicity better then no publicity?

MEH. MOO.

What about interviewing the HOME? After all, they are the ones that had sole responsibility of Serenity during the time she escaped, ran away, and is presumably dead. I feel like we are holding up shining things inadvertently distracting us from:

NOT leading up to what happened but who was RESPONSIBLE for Serenity at the time of the events and the measures or lack there of immediately following her alleged escape.

#sorryNOTsorry

This feels like sensationalism. Drama. What started out on track has now derailed.

Considering the custodial family and the home won't talk about it all, I don't see what it hurts. At least someone cares enough to talk about Serenity and keep her in the mainstream...

I'm all for bringing attention to Serenity's cause , but I am not sure why Lynne is interviewing birth Mom? o_O
She gave her up and has had zero contact with her. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

We did the interview with Adopto Mom who seems like she hasn't been in contact with Serenity in quite some time either. NOPE. NONE.

Then Senator Lynne posts some cryptic comment about adoptive Dad's friends and family threatening her? It seemed unprofessional.

#sorryNOTsorry

MEH. MOO.
I don't think it is meant as a diversionary tactic or purely for sensationalism. I think it is merely grasping at straws, since everybody feels pretty helpless and frustrated.
I also don't think the Home would allow such an interview.
As for measures taken, it seems that they concentrated their search indoors at first, as Serenity has hidden indoors in the past. I don't think they realized that she was outdoors until somebody reported seeing her outside. By then, Serenity had a head start, and they were unable to find her thereafter. I don't think it would do any good to vilify the two staff members who were watching the four kids. From what we have been told, they followed procedure. It's really hard to lay blame at their feet, if what we have been told is true. The bottom line is the Home was responsible, that is true. They may change procedure or alter security to prevent such things from happening again, but to suggest it should have been done sooner is simply second-guessing, and doesn't help find Serenity.
So the answer is - concentrate on the mission. Find Serenity. The weather is finally warming up. (It is 50 degrees and sunny there right now, from what I can tell.) That will help - if she is out there. If she was picked up, that's another matter.

Considering the custodial family and the home won't talk about it all, I don't see what it hurts. At least someone cares enough to talk about Serenity and keep her in the mainstream...

There is a part of me that feels like she is exploiting some of the family - ex family members. And I am in no way defending the bio/adopto family but what is the agenda here? What are we achieving by interviewing conception lady?

Are these interviews helping find Serenity? Are they assisting in passing new updated laws or regulations to ensure the safety of future children in a similar situation? Are they holding the Home accountable, bringing to light important safety issues or questions that haven't been answered? She is a politician, she has the platform and power to make things happen!

Why won't the Home sit down with Lynne ? HIPPA does not encompass the Home's Policies or Procedures or the lack there of. There are plenty of questions that could be answered without violating Serenity's privacy.
HIPPA protects the healthcare information of the person.

I respect the opinions of others on this, but right now this isn't sitting well with me. MOO

BBM
So the answer is - concentrate on the mission. Find Serenity. The weather is finally warming up. (It is 50 degrees and sunny there right now, from what I can tell.) That will help - if she is out there. If she was picked up, that's another matter.

That is my point Skipper, concentrate on 1. the mission 2. persons accountable.

This other stuff is BS drama that fuels the dark side of the web.

/clap clap Let's focus on finding our girl!

MOO

If you truly want to prevent the situation that Serenity was in, you need to see the history that led to it. Bio parents choices do start the chain of events, and we cannot ignore that fact. Trying to fix a broken child is much more complex, difficult, and perhaps impossible, but preventing it is possible.

If you truly want to prevent the situation that Serenity was in, you need to see the history that led to it. Bio parents choices do start the chain of events, and we cannot ignore that fact. Trying to fix a broken child is much more complex, difficult, and perhaps impossible, but preventing it is possible.
This. Live it everyday!

Last edited:
I understand all that. I just wonder about Serenity. From what we have been told, she had formed attachments. I don't know that for a fact, but it is curious.
Nonetheless, I understand those with RAD children have a tough road. My question is - does this disorder come with degrees, or is it all-or-nothing? In other words, could Serenity have bonded and become attached to her adoptive parents to some degree, but still retain behavioral problems of RAD?

BBM.
That’s my question too.
Is it a spectrum disorder (like autism is) or is RAD the same in every person?
I’m not well versed in lot of these behavioural disorders....

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members