Cruise ship to 'evacuate its 1,300 passengers after sending mayday signal off the coast of Norway'.

Oh, dear. Yes, I do, you're absolutely right! I apologise to all if I have caused any confusion or misunderstanding due to my mix-up of Molde/Tromsø :oops:

No worries, I just started doubting my own brain lol. They were actually supposed to also stop at Bodo, but that port was skipped.

Glad to hear the ship made it to land! It sounded like the rescue of so many people was going to be a slow process.

Have never been on a cruise and last week a friend was telling me about all the grand adventures on a cruise. My answer was still the same, no, no, I have no desire to take a cruise in my lifetime! Being in the middle of the ocean, does not appeal to me.

That is pretty much our opinion. We stopped cruises, because my husband has CHF, and I am very careful about his food, and water.

Cruise ship medical facilities and healthcare professionals is yet another serious consideration for those who are mobility-challenged and/or have serious health issues. As long as DH and I are in good health and physically able to negotiate stairs, step onto tenders or other ship-to-shore transfers, move about the ship without assistance (or walkers, scooters), we will continue to cruise at least once annually. We enjoy shipboard ambiance and visiting different ports without having to change "hotel" accommodations.

For those who might be interested in medical facilities/personnel while cruising, here's a good overview.

Cruise Ship Doctors and Medical Facilities Onboard - Cruise Critic

I don't think that people really research this aspect before traveling. We also always purchase a special trip insurance, that will cover medical evacuations, cancellations, expenses for being stranded...

Yeah, we get the insurance too.

I mean, no matter how nice a cruise boat is, it's still a ship out on the water. Things can go wrong, and if something does go wrong, it can be a long time until help gets there. But there are big advantages too, and I love being out on the ocean. So I'll probably keep cruising until I get too old to get on and off the boat, or run out of money, whichever comes first :p

Glad to hear the ship made it to land! It sounded like the rescue of so many people was going to be a slow process.

Have never been on a cruise and last week a friend was telling me about all the grand adventures on a cruise. My answer was still the same, no, no, I have no desire to take a cruise in my lifetime! Being in the middle of the ocean, does not appeal to me.

O/T - Me neither, but I rarely tell people that because they usually start to try to convince me otherwise, as if we ALL like the same kinds of things. Absolutely zero appeal to me.

I never thought about the evacuation part for the elderly. I figured the cruise would be perfect for the elderly as I see so many.

I hear the food is great and the entertainment great as well as people making new friends.

Everyone who loves them really really loves them.

It is a good way to see places and decide if you would like to come back and stay on a vacation

Yeah, we get the insurance too.

I mean, no matter how nice a cruise boat is, it's still a ship out on the water. Things can go wrong, and if something does go wrong, it can be a long time until help gets there. But there are big advantages too, and I love being out on the ocean. So I'll probably keep cruising until I get too old to get on and off the boat, or run out of money, whichever comes first :p

Check out Lee Wachstsetter, a now 90 year old widow who has been travelling the world on a cruise liner for the last 12 years, instead of paying nursing home fees.

O/T - Me neither, but I rarely tell people that because they usually start to try to convince me otherwise, as if we ALL like the same kinds of things. Absolutely zero appeal to me.

Me too. I won't go into detail, but I have zero desire to ever step foot on a boat again. And FWIW, that whole "Duck Boat" disaster was a wake up call for me. There was no plan for evacuation or rescue.

I don't live my life in "fear of disasters", but I like being responsible for my own safety.

I'd be tempted to do that :) The food is sure better than in a nursing home. So is the view!

She won't have to lift a finger - cooking, cleaning, laundry, entertainment, dances, new friends, familiar crew PLUS seeing countries all over the world, though she says she rarely gets off the boat now because she enjoys the peace and quiet. I like her style!

#belikeleewachtstetter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back