Hospital Refuses To Help Woman, Police Arrest Her

There are some real jerks in the medical profession. In Galveston, Texas at University of Texas Medical Branch years ago a homeless man went to the emergency room for treatment and they had workers take him away from the hospital and dump him back on the street without any medical care. If there is any justice in this world, those people will be patients one day, with hospital staff treating them equally poor.
That is so sad, I must say that I have never heard of that happening here, I am not saying that it doesnt, but I have never heard of anyone being turned away by our medical professionals or hospitals. Just the opposite happened here last week, a woman who was pregnant with twins went into labour early, she was in the lower income bracket, but she was taken to her closet hospital and they didnt have the equipment needed for premy twins, so she was transferred to another hospital then another one until they had the right facilities, it was rather traumatic for the mother but at least our medical system tried to get the best treatment they could for her.

That is so sad, I must say that I have never heard of that happening here, I am not saying that it doesnt, but I have never heard of anyone being turned away by our medical professionals or hospitals. Just the opposite happened here last week, a woman who was pregnant with twins went into labour early, she was in the lower income bracket, but she was taken to her closet hospital and they didnt have the equipment needed for premy twins, so she was transferred to another hospital then another one until they had the right facilities, it was rather traumatic for the mother but at least our medical system tried to get the best treatment they could for her.

It sounds to be like she was treated and released.
Who says that she wasn't treated properly? I mean, jeez. I think she was probably a malingerer and that she had probably been in and out of that ER multiple times, and she was probably acting no different. A lot of inmates are frequent fliers because they get a break. Sad but true. Crying wolf can hurt.

It sounds to be like she was treated and released.
Who says that she wasn't treated properly? I mean, jeez. I think she was probably a malingerer and that she had probably been in and out of that ER multiple times, and she was probably acting no different. A lot of inmates are frequent fliers because they get a break. Sad but true. Crying wolf can hurt.
Pedinurse, if she was kept a while longer for observation to make sure the medication was working or she was given the right medication she could be alive today. Thats how it works here. I know every country have their own philosophys, rules and regulations, but it just sounds like she was tried to get rid of too quickly.

It sounds as though this woman may have created her own destiny by repeatedly going back to the same ER. They just don't believe you if you abuse the system.

I have a gf that has a drug problem. She is red flagged at every ER around here, because she used to go in repeatedly for "pain" that could not be found. I went with her once and they told her they would not give her any pain meds. They told her straight out she was on the list and not to come back. Fortunately for her, she was fine and did not need emergency treatment as she thought. But they do not take her seriously when she shows up, that is for sure.

I have always told my gf that there would come a day that she would really need the ER and she would be turned away because of her own abuse.

I am not saying this is right, but when these addicts come in day after day after day and USUALLY there is nothing wrong, the ER personnel probably gets frustrated with the time they are losing for other truly ill patients.

It sounds as though this woman may have created her own destiny by repeatedly going back to the same ER. They just don't believe you if you abuse the system.

I have a gf that has a drug problem. She is red flagged at every ER around here, because she used to go in repeatedly for "pain" that could not be found. I went with her once and they told her they would not give her any pain meds. They told her straight out she was on the list and not to come back. Fortunately for her, she was fine and did not need emergency treatment as she thought. But they do not take her seriously when she shows up, that is for sure.

I have always told my gf that there would come a day that she would really need the ER and she would be turned away because of her own abuse.

I am not saying this is right, but when these addicts come in day after day after day and USUALLY there is nothing wrong, the ER personnel probably gets frustrated with the time they are losing for other truly ill patients.

I agree with you. The system for uninsured patients is overloaded due to illegals.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, JBean

ER's can be a ZOO, usually they triage and have a system, and I don't know all the ins and outs of charity treatment, or what were the specifics of this case, but I think we're often all too eager to jump down the Dr's, Nurse's or Hospital's throats, for not always being correct or perfect in their dealings with what can be called a JUNGLE these days and a situation where corners are unfortunately having to be cut financially because of the huge number of uninsured patients.

And because the ER has become the place people go to see "the Doctor", even when it's not an emergency, so there's a whole huge variety of things seen there now.

I will only go to an ER if I'm on my deathbed.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, JBean

ER's can be a ZOO, usually they triage and have a system, and I don't know all the ins and outs of charity treatment, or what were the specifics of this case, but I think we're often all too eager to jump down the Dr's, Nurse's or Hospital's throats, for not always being correct or perfect in their dealings with what can be called a JUNGLE these days and a situation where corners are unfortunately having to be cut financially because of the huge number of uninsured patients.

And because the ER has become the place people go to see "the Doctor", even when it's not an emergency, so there's a whole huge variety of things seen there now.

I will only go to an ER if I'm on my deathbed.
The illegals around here use ER as their primary care faciltiy. makes me sick.

The illegals around here use ER as their primary care faciltiy. makes me sick.

The same around here JBean, as well as many other folks; not just illegals. It's basically the uninsured. It's hard not to resent the way the "system" is working these days.

The same around here JBean, as well as many other folks; not just illegals. It's basically the uninsured. It's hard not to resent the way the "system" is working these days.
True enough MT...
I was thinking about this woman and about my gf.
I have told my gf not to call me for a ride to the ER. I just cannot be a party to it. So the day may come where she really needs to go! What kind of person would I be if I didn;t take her? there is a fine line between enabling and being supportive.
I guess if I refused to take her because she has been so many times for nothing..I would be just as guilty as this hospital personnel if something were to happen to her.
But ultimately it is her own doing, IMO.

where did the info that edith was illegal come from?
Thats why I asked what you guys meant by illegals, I havent heard anywhere where this lady was an illegal, I think someone presumed she was. Even if she was an illegal, she is still human and in need of medical attention.

Obviously your health system has some faults which is stopping sick people seeking medical care, there must be a way to fix it.

We have problems also but nothing like what I have heard here. I have friends working in the hospitals, doctor surgeries etc, and have never heard of anyone being turned away for medical treatment.

Hope something is done to improve your health system.
If the problems are not as severe here how can they be in the USA, we or most of us(Aussies) have always thought that America lead the way in lifestyle, medicine and social ethics, but your health system is third world country standard. Im glad I live in the lucky country.

Obviously your health system has some faults which is stopping sick people seeking medical care, there must be a way to fix it.

We have problems also but nothing like what I have heard here. I have friends working in the hospitals, doctor surgeries etc, and have never heard of anyone being turned away for medical treatment.

Hope something is done to improve your health system.
If the problems are not as severe here how can they be in the USA, we or most of us(Aussies) have always thought that America lead the way in lifestyle, medicine and social ethics, but your health system is third world country standard. Im glad I live in the lucky country.
yep, we have our probelms, no doubt about it.
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/15/1198/

US Health System Ranks Last Compared to Other Countries: Studies

Britain got the top score in overall ranking among the countries in the study, followed by Germany. New Zealand and Australia tied for third followed by Canada and the United States.

yep, we have our probelms, no doubt about it.
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/15/1198/

US Health System Ranks Last Compared to Other Countries: Studies

Britain got the top score in overall ranking among the countries in the study, followed by Germany. New Zealand and Australia tied for third followed by Canada and the United States.

Thanks for the link JBean, very interesting reading, looks like the UK and Germany are the best places to be if you are sick, but Australia is good too.
Reading the link made me sad and sorry to say brought a tear to my eye, with your population way way more than ours, its hard to comprehend how many people are uninsured or dont get any medical help when needed.
They have obviously done studies and compared with other countries as shown in your link, so you would think that they would start to practice some of the other countries way of dealing with health issues.
It really makes me sad.

I think we have 40% uninsured, or some unGodly amt. like that.

Our medical system needs a makeover desperately. Yes, I've heard excellent things about Australia's healthcare.

But perhaps you don't have the minorities we do, or rather "illegals", that might not pay into the system? I don't know how Australia covers their populace as far as insurance.

Our healthcare system here has some kinks to be worked out. We have the best resources, doctors, nurses, other vital staff, technology and facilites yet it is so out of reach for many. I am uninsured. What will become of me if I get seriously ill? I am just as vital as the person with insurance and money, I am a mother and wife people love me and depend on me and don't really think my house could run with out me (not to blow my own horn :D, i am vital to our organization )Will I be turned away to die? I deserve treatment as much as the next guy but right now insurance is unnafordable for us. Yet you can't afford not to have it. I know some of you are saying that i deserve it if something happens and I should just have insurance and I am so irresponsible but me and many others have to choose our necessities in life 100 dollars a paycheck is alot to me right now.

I think we have 40% uninsured, or some unGodly amt. like that.

Our medical system needs a makeover desperately. Yes, I've heard excellent things about Australia's healthcare.

But perhaps you don't have the minorities we do, or rather "illegals", that might not pay into the system? I don't know how Australia covers their populace as far as insurance.

Everyone here and I mean everyone is covered by Medicare, so you are able to get doctor and hospital treatment whenever needed, this is covered by taking about 1-2% tax from our paypacket which we do not miss as it is minimal in comparison with what we earn.
You can also join a private health fund which will cover you for a private hospital and extras like certain medications, physio, chiropractic, ambulance, and heaps more that I cant write them down here. This costs anywhere from $10 - $60 per week depending on what you want to be covered for, it is your choice. Our private system is like you are in a holiday resort, I had the unfortunate chance of a stay in a private hospital not long ago and the service, food, medical attention was top of the line.
Hope this gives you an idea, if anyone else as anything to add please do, as I am sure I have missed things, but basically this is our health care system.

True enough MT...
I was thinking about this woman and about my gf.
I have told my gf not to call me for a ride to the ER. I just cannot be a party to it. So the day may come where she really needs to go! What kind of person would I be if I didn;t take her? there is a fine line between enabling and being supportive.
I guess if I refused to take her because she has been so many times for nothing..I would be just as guilty as this hospital personnel if something were to happen to her.
But ultimately it is her own doing, IMO.

Have her call an ambulance, dearie.

That's another problem with the system; if it's free, you tend to overuse it.

You know how many times I've been to the ER in 58 years? Maybe twice

How many times have I been an inpatient in a hospital 2 births and 1 operation.

How many times do I go to the doctor per year? Maybe 3 times - that includes mammogram, pap smear and one Dr. visit per year (sickness)

I take care of myself, read medical books if I get sick, eat right, exercise and try not to do bad things like drink too much, etc.

I'm just saying people need to take charge of their own health up to a point, and the Dr. or ER should be there for the serious things.

The only thing is I wish I could get my own antibiotics when I need them, because I know by now when I need them. (usually sinus infection or urinary tract infection)

Not only do we have one of the LEAST EFFICIENT Medical Systems, we have one of the MOST EXPENSIVE. And alot of it is just waste -paperwork and redtape that has become so cumbersome that nurses can't even "nurse" anymore. Nor Dr's doctor. And I've worked in their offices plenty, so I do know how that has gotten.

The technology needs to be advanced to a more centralized computer system, where patients records can be easily accessed no matter where they go.

Well, I'm talking too much; the Medical System is just a real frustration to me right now; my husband has just gone through hundreds of thousands in a relatively short-term chemotherapy treatment, and we haven't even started the radiation. It's UNBELIEVABLE.

We are so fortunate that we have insurance; and I don't know what people do that don't have it. Go bankrupt I guess. How did I get off on this? :confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back