CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

Coroner's inquest: Hart's black box, Benadryl searches

During their trip, Slates said, there were Google searches on Sarah Hart's phone about how much Benadryl it would take to kill a person and whether drowning is painless.

They stopped at a Walmart in Longview, Washington and bought the store-brand of Benadryl, he said.

Sarah Hart searched whether Benadryl can kill a person and whether drowning is painless from 12:30 a.m. on March 24, 2018 until 6:30 p.m. that night.

Their SUV drove off the cliff before midnight on March 25, investigators said.

Slates told inquest jurors the minimum number of Walmart-brand Benadryl pills Sarah Hart had in her system was "42 dosage units."

On the first day of the inquest, it was noted Sarah Hart had a "toxic" level of Benadryl in her system when the car went over the cliff.

She was in the passenger seat. Three of their 6 children in the back also had high levels of Benadryl: at least 19, 18 and 14 doses each.

"The children were more than likely unconscious or asleep," Slates said. "Sarah would have been extremely intoxicated at that point."

This was murder/suicide. NO doubt in my mind. My heart breaks for those children. God knows what was being discussed with them that entire last day or what they overheard their "moms" saying. They were likely handed a fistful of Benedryl and forced to take it. imo

These women should be in prison and the children should be in a loving home with a chance to heal and excel in life. The system also failed them.

May the children RIP. They deserved better.

Wow. Check out the voluminous google searches from Sarah's phone in the 18 hours before their plunge off the cliff. Absolutely no question this was murder suicide, and Sarah was just as complicit as Jen.

'Is Death Relatively Painless?' Sarah Hart Googled Drowning Before Family SUV Plunged Off Cliff

Slates testified that shortly after leaving their Woodland, Washington, home on March 23, the family stopped at a Walmart, where Sarah ran inside and bought a bottle of generic brand Benadryl.

Hours later, she would search Google about overdosing.

“Can 500 ml of Benadryl kill a 120 pound woman?” she searched, Slates testified. She reportedly also searched, “How can I easily overdose on over-the-counter medications?” and “What will happen when overdosing with Benadryl?”

“How long does it take to die from hypothermia in water while drowning in a car?” Sarah also searched, according to Slates’ testimony.

Right after Googling, Sarah would delete each search from her phone, Slate testified.

I also think it's interesting that Sarah was the one to run into the WalMart to buy the Benadryl (generic), but the shopping photo released to the public was Jen at a checkout. Perhaps they stopped several times. Guess it doesn't really matter.

They quite clearly intended to kill all of the kids, and themselves, but Sarah researched "no kill" dog shelters on her phone as the last search. Guess she cared more about the dogs than for themselves and the kids. Very, very sick and messed up women. I guess we can factually call them murderers now that the inquest is over, and the determination of murder/ suicide has been established conclusively.

One of the final searches on her phone, Slate testified, was searching for no-kill shelters for dogs.

The family’s dogs have not been accounted for and are believed to have been in the vehicle with the family.

'Is Death Relatively Painless?' Sarah Hart Googled Drowning Before Family SUV Plunged Off Cliff

I don’t think they were worried about losing the children. They were worried about going to prison.
I think they were also concerned about how things would look after they were all gone. That's why they stocked up on food before the drive off the cliff, and had fresh apples on the table.
They wanted the whole thing to look like a tragic accident. Imo

I think they were also concerned about how things would look after they were all gone. That's why they stocked up on food before the drive off the cliff, and had fresh apples on the table.
They wanted the whole thing to look like a tragic accident. Imo

Perhaps. Maybe they superficially intended for the cliff plunge to look like an accident, but I'm skeptical about that.

It's hard for me to imagine that 2 relatively smart women could be that stupid. Did they really think their movements could not be tracked? Did they think paying cash completely covered their movements versus a credit card? Did they not know every inch of stores are monitored with security cameras, most especially check out lines?? Did they really think all they had to do was "delete" the history of a search on a smart phone and *poof*, it was "gone"? And did they really think that the high doses of Benadryl would never be discovered in their bodies??

To me, their actions in leaving (panicked fleeing, escaping), and once they continued on the run down the coast seem chaotic, unplanned (or planned only briefly before implementing), and on the fly. Impulsive. All they could process, IMO, was fleeing. Run. Escape. Must take kids and run. Unable to rationally process any coping decisions beyond fleeing with the kids, and ultimately ending it all in cowardly drug induced Thelma and Louise plunge, taking 6 innocents with them.

Their actions every single time they were confronted about problems with the kids, allegations of abuse, were to take the kids and run away/ move away/ get away. Murder/ suicide is the ultimate "run away" move. I think they were tired of running away, and didn't care about how they were found. They only seemed to care that they were powerful enough take the kids lives in addition to their own.

I find it interesting that only 3 of the kids had high levels of Benadryl in their systems. I also wonder about the interval between drug ingestion and death-- at that kind of enteric dosage (especially if the drug was in pill or capsule form), vomiting would be common.

I wonder if 2-3 of them were going along with the suicide plan, and 3 weren't, so those 3 had to be persuaded to cooperate with chemicals? Or were the kids allowed to choose whether or not to take the drugs to dull their senses? That wouldn't make sense to me, because the Hart kids were hardly ever allowed to make any decisions for themselves. It would seem odd if they were "allowed" to decide whether or not to take an overdose of drugs in preparation for their death.

I do think the kids were almost certainly victims of "Stockholm Syndrome". The continuous psychological manipulation these kids suffered was extreme, IMO.

Perhaps. Maybe they superficially intended for the cliff plunge to look like an accident, but I'm skeptical about that.

It's hard for me to imagine that 2 relatively smart women could be that stupid. Did they really think their movements could not be tracked? Did they think paying cash completely covered their movements versus a credit card? Did they not know every inch of stores are monitored with security cameras, most especially check out lines?? Did they really think all they had to do was "delete" the history of a search on a smart phone and *poof*, it was "gone"? And did they really think that the high doses of Benadryl would never be discovered in their bodies??

To me, their actions in leaving (panicked fleeing, escaping), and once they continued on the run down the coast seem chaotic, unplanned (or planned only briefly before implementing), and on the fly. Impulsive. All they could process, IMO, was fleeing. Run. Escape. Must take kids and run. Unable to rationally process any coping decisions beyond fleeing with the kids, and ultimately ending it all in cowardly drug induced Thelma and Louise plunge, taking 6 innocents with them.

Their actions every single time they were confronted about problems with the kids, allegations of abuse, were to take the kids and run away/ move away/ get away. Murder/ suicide is the ultimate "run away" move. I think they were tired of running away, and didn't care about how they were found. They only seemed to care that they were powerful enough take the kids lives in addition to their own.

I find it interesting that only 3 of the kids had high levels of Benadryl in their systems. I also wonder about the interval between drug ingestion and death-- at that kind of enteric dosage (especially if the drug was in pill or capsule form), vomiting would be common.

I wonder if 2-3 of them were going along with the suicide plan, and 3 weren't, so those 3 had to be persuaded to cooperate with chemicals? Or were the kids allowed to choose whether or not to take the drugs to dull their senses? That wouldn't make sense to me, because the Hart kids were hardly ever allowed to make any decisions for themselves. It would seem odd if they were "allowed" to decide whether or not to take an overdose of drugs in preparation for their death.

I do think the kids were almost certainly victims of "Stockholm Syndrome". The continuous psychological manipulation these kids suffered was extreme, IMO.
Speculation... but I think that means that they could only document levels in 3 of the kids. Devonte's body has not been found, Siera's was badly decomposed, and Hannah only had partial remains recovered. They may have all been given Benadryl, but it's unlikely that detailed toxicology testing could be performed for all.

Guess she cared more about the dogs than for themselves and the kids.

Actually, it's being speculated that one of the 2 dogs the family had was in the car. Maybe both. But I keep seeing people say that one of their dogs died according to Facebook posts before everything went down...and I'm guessing that was the one that was Devonte's favorite. I'm not sure I want to know if that was natural or not. These women really didn't spare anyone other than themselves.

Yeah, that's what I thought too until I learned that she googled whether or not drowning was painful. How can they not know that? Sarah could not have been too sensible if she made that comment to her co-worker about how she wished someone had told her she didn't "have to" have a lot of kids.
They took extensive steps to avoid authorities each time they were aware CPS was on to them. I think they spent quite some time contemplating what they were going to do, and saw no other way out.
They seemed to be preoccupied in keeping up appearances. I do think they cared what others would think if they knew their intentions.
And I do not believe any of the children would have gone along with a suicide plan. That was a decision made by the parents. They are the only ones responsible for the death of all of those children.
As for the benadryl being found in only three bodies, they were the only ones that could be tested. The others were badly decomposed or missing. Imo

Last edited:
Speculation... but I think that means that they could only document levels in 3 of the kids. Devonte's body has not been found, Siera's was badly decomposed, and Hannah only had partial remains recovered. They may have all been given Benadryl, but it's unlikely that detailed toxicology testing could be performed for all.

That was my assumption also

What gives me chills is that they gave each of the children perhaps 20 of the pills and told them to swallow them. They were old enough to know that something was wrong. What was going through their minds is in incomprehensible.

I'm not a religious person, but God bless those children's Souls.

And damn the parents.

What gives me chills is that they gave each of the children perhaps 20 of the pills and told them to swallow them. They were old enough to know that something was wrong. What was going through their minds is in incomprehensible.

I'm not a religious person, but God bless those children's Souls.

And damn the parents.

One of the articles I read today said that the women often gave the kids this medication while on road trips, so this wasn't out of the ordinary. What's not known is whether the kids got pills, liquid form or some combination of the two on that fatal journey.

Looks like Sarah and Jenn really took that Nahko song about driving into the ocean seriously with the web searches on Sarah's phone. Seems like she didn't consider that the impact of the crash would kill them all.

While I understand it's quite possible Devonte could have washed all the way out to sea and that's why he hasn't been found, I still find it very suspicious that ALL of the other children were found (in some cases only a foot but Hannah was still accounted for) but not Devonte who I think the *mothers* blamed for all this happening in the first place. My fear has always been that they dropped he and his dog off at some remote area and left him. I don't know why I can't shake this feeling.

This whole case has haunted me. But I have to say the fact that they can find your deleted searches on Google is very tech-creepy to me. I guess nothing is ever really deleted. So invasive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ari76
Back